Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 10:04 PM

98 posts, read 117,740 times

Advertisements

I absolutely hate the term Hispanic. I also hate the term Latin.

As for the original posters question, I always assumed/hear other Latin American groups referring negatively to Mexicans due to media/culture in America. It is common for a stereotype to run ramped through society and Mexicans have less then favorable stereotypes in the US. The US media has a knack for throwing different groups into one group, for example Indians are almost always confused for middle eastern/Arab by mainstream society despite the obvious. Anyways, here in the states most people (where I'm from at least) think every Spanish speaking person "hispanic" is Mexican. Thus this is where the disdain comes from. They don't want to be associated with a less than favorable group. Mexicans aren't a lesser group but when you're coming into a country dominated with whites some attempt to seperate themselves and belittle similar groups in order to feel more superior and closer to the standard. I feel all minority groups are effected and act identically to Latin groups.

I'm so sorry if I offend anyone. My intentions are good I am only explaining through my eyes. Opinions vary.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 8,505 times
Default interesting

Wow, interesting. Maybe because I live in an area where we have a multitude variations of Hispanics, but mexicans being the majority in this sector of the country that HERE Salvadorians are viewed as the bottom of the totem pole, amongst many. Viewed similiar here in comparison to how the Cambodians and Vietnamese are viewed in comparison to the Japanese and Chinese. I work near DTLA or the Pico Union District which is predominantly Salvadorian/Central American. So I get exposure to all necks of the woods. This is no form a retaliation in any form or fashion, I'm just speaking the truth from experience growing up in this area. Not trying to bash any race or anyone as I have many great friends and ex girlfriends that that were and are Salvadorian. Just MY experience and the notion for me growing up in Southern California. Solely an opinion of my experience. I GUESS it varies from place to place, east to west coast. And YES Mexico was and still is a great place to visit with beautiful beaches and 5 star resorts and beautiful colonial cities, but has been tarnished by all the violence of the recent years. Sad for the innocent.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,959 times
I dont know why so many people look down on Mexico, and Mexicans. I can see it has something to do with the misconception that all Mexican are dark, or poor and the picture that the media has portrayed. The real picture of mexico, and Mexicans is quite different, and would break all misconceptions and stereotypes that the media tries to impose. As a society, people have learned to see those characteristics as a flaw. People are taught to respect money, and not hard work. I think every Latin American country is beautiful in its own way, and the hate issue is only a matter of pride and false superiority. As for Mexico, I myself being Mexican am proud, and I love my country and its culture;its quite beautiful. Don't believe me? Check this video out.
Mexico in Your Senses - HD - YouTube

Old 02-21-2014, 06:25 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,075,180 times
Its just fascinating to know Mexicans are stereotyped as being lazy. When the country is actually one of the most hardworking in the world.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:39 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeWine View Post
I absolutely hate the term Hispanic. I also hate the term Latin.

As for the original posters question, I always assumed/hear other Latin American groups referring negatively to Mexicans due to media/culture in America. It is common for a stereotype to run ramped through society and Mexicans have less then favorable stereotypes in the US. The US media has a knack for throwing different groups into one group, for example Indians are almost always confused for middle eastern/Arab by mainstream society despite the obvious. Anyways, here in the states most people (where I'm from at least) think every Spanish speaking person "hispanic" is Mexican. Thus this is where the disdain comes from. They don't want to be associated with a less than favorable group. Mexicans aren't a lesser group but when you're coming into a country dominated with whites some attempt to seperate themselves and belittle similar groups in order to feel more superior and closer to the standard. I feel all minority groups are effected and act identically to Latin groups.

I'm so sorry if I offend anyone. My intentions are good I am only explaining through my eyes. Opinions vary.
I think it's because of stuff like this ---

Obviously that is just not all Mexicans but enough in the USA present their culture in such a way. They stereotype themselves.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:45 PM

10 posts, read 25,083 times
I thought all white people were from UK

Old 03-02-2014, 06:11 PM

340 posts, read 609,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador04 View Post
I thought all white people were from UK
Hehe. Yep, we are. That's why we're always called "Anglo" despite the fact that we may actually be Slavic, Russian, Scandinavian or - OMG - Latin!

Old 03-03-2014, 01:28 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,740,223 times
My wife is from Colombia and we watch the national news in English (ABC Nightly News is our favorite) and the Spanish-language national news from KMEX daily. Sadly I prefer the Spanish news because they are more likely to present the REAL NEWS than our own CBS or ABC, meaning they don't give a hoot about Justin Bieber's latest speeding ticket, which isn't that important at all. I'm not talking local news here which in LA is mostly celebrity gossip, but the national news with Diane Sawyer.
Now, from the little Spanish I understand, there is usually a 4-minute sob story about the horrible treatment undocumented people receive in the racist and cruel country called the United States of America. No people are "illegal" is repeated frequently. The very idea that some foreigners are deported or denied residency permit is portrayed as unjust and brutal.

Oh well. It's their station, they pay their own electric bill, and the rest of the news about the world is well presented.

And then, once in a while, they have a story about the absolutely brutal treatment of wanna-be immigrants who are from Central or South America, IN MEXICO. These are just passing through Mexico , trying to get in the US, but they are often arrested, killed, robbed, raped, deported. They get beaten up by ordinary citizens or the police force alike.
If our country would treat Mexicans as Mexicans treat non-Mexican foreigners passing through their country, it would be a national shame, and the United Nations Human Rights Commission would cry wolf 24/7.
Hypocrisy comes in many forms; this is only one .

Last edited by mgforshort; 03-03-2014 at 02:19 PM..

Old 03-04-2014, 11:07 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think it's because of stuff like this ---

Obviously that is just not all Mexicans but enough in the USA present their culture in such a way. They stereotype themselves.
Lol I think this is cool. It is just some rural kids having fun dancing at electronic parties who invented crazy boots. What is so bad about that?

Old 03-12-2014, 12:56 PM

72 posts, read 127,502 times
I am Cuban and I love Mexicans! They have delicious food! Their beer is pretty great! And they're women are smoking hot!

Viva Mexico!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.