Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 12:00 PM

25 posts, read 36,414 times

Advertisements

It's the fact that we embrace our individual Hispanic roots so whites have no choice but to throw us in one category which is just "Mexican" to them. They're just jealous because they haven't been immigrants since the turn of the century.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:01 PM

701 posts, read 1,562,925 times
Being Dominican, I am aware of these "rivalries", but never full-on hatred. I've never seen it and I grew up around Mexicans, Salvadorans, and Guatemalans.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:27 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick914 View Post
It's the fact that we embrace our individual Hispanic roots so whites have no choice but to throw us in one category which is just "Mexican" to them.
I think that this statement is as close as you will come to the root of the issue.

Just to give you another example, there was a fairly large Jewish population that came to Southern America in colonial times. Most were Sephardic Jews (or descendants of the Jews expelled from Spain in the 15th century. When the 20th century Jewish immigration came, most of them spoke Yiddish and were from Germany or central Europe. To most outsiders, Jewish people are some of the most tightly bonded ethnic group in the world. But the well established southern Jewish community resented being grouped together with this new Jewish Yiddish community with customs that were mostly alien to them.

I think if you do some research, you will find many similar cases. Logically the resentment should go towards the people that are arbitrarily grouping ethnicities together based on a secondary characteristic, but often the resentment goes elsewhere.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:42 AM

190 posts, read 571,394 times
I have family in Mexico and when they shop in the US, they are never mistaken for Mexicans or Hispanics. When they come to Spain, they are only tagged as Mexicans when they open their mouths, people here are very familiar with Mexican Spanish thanks to soap operas.

So I guess that for Americans, a Mexican is anybody with Amerindian features. A similar thing happens in Spain, all Andeans or people with Amerindian features are "Peruvians", when most are Ecuatorian and Bolivians.

It's just like when we see a oriental person, he's always a "chino", etc, etc. and when Latin Americans hear an Spanish person he's always a "gallego" or "gashego" in Argentina.

Last edited by Montpensier; 12-28-2012 at 11:52 AM..

Old 01-06-2013, 03:37 AM

3 posts, read 12,690 times
1) Mexico is the mOst popular Hispanic country in the world and that = jealousy.
2) In Hollywood Movies, Mexicans are portrayed badly, so they try to make it as if they are far away from the label that's being portrayed.
#FACT With tiny differences most Latinos are the same! educated Latinos know this is a fact.
3) Unlike most countries in Latin America Mexico is not a 3rd world county so a lot of them try to migrate there, but get deported specially Salvadorians because Mexicans from Mexico don't like that Gang stuff (yes, they might have issues with cartels, but cartel main heads do not dress like gang members. Yes, Some Mexican Americans might be "cholos" (gangsters) but thats a US hispanic issue not so much an issue in the country of Mexico. However, Mexico can't/wont deport a Mexican American, but will deport a Salvadorians gang memebers (mara gang) back to El Salvador right away. Obviously that creates recentment.
4) Unfurtunally, this is an issue with Latinos in the USA not LAtino America the countries. See a lot of Latinos from all over go to Mexico to become actors because Mexico DF is the "Hollywood" of Latino America being that Mexican Novelas Are the most famus and get played all over the world. Yes, there are Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Argentinian actors that move to Mexico & make it. Vicente Fernandez sales out concerts in Puerto Rico and all over central & south America... So we need to Stop this nonsense & STOP GENERALIZING!

To finalize, I am From LA used to wk with foster children & would get a lot of salvadorian immigrants, a salvi kid once told me that a Mexican family had picked him up becuSe he was sleeping in the streets In Mexico & they paid for him to come to the US! During the process they feed him & bought him clothes. I also heard a few bad stories of tiefs in Mexico stealing from them but just like every country there are good & bad people. If your staying on the streets or low income hotels well you are going to see the low class people of that county, this applies to every country not just Mexico. As a Mexican we are not raised to speak badly about other Latinos, unlike you guys I do not recall my mother or father injecting all this hater in me about my own Spanish speaking people.. I think all Latinos are beautiful in their own way including Salvadorians and I have a lot of respect for salvi's that make it and are not in Gangs. So much love to everybody and a slap in the face if you are ungreatful to the wk Mexican Americans have put in for most Latinos. Starting with better education towards all Latinos during the 1960's, See in the USA Latino History starts with Mexican Americans because we've been here since the begining & we have accomplished so much and paved the way for the rest of Latinos here, Pick up a latino american history book.

Last edited by Nerd1; 01-06-2013 at 03:53 AM..

Old 01-06-2013, 04:01 AM

3 posts, read 12,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I think that this statement is as close as you will come to the root of the issue.

Just to give you another example, there was a fairly large Jewish population that came to Southern America in colonial times. Most were Sephardic Jews (or descendants of the Jews expelled from Spain in the 15th century. When the 20th century Jewish immigration came, most of them spoke Yiddish and were from Germany or central Europe. To most outsiders, Jewish people are some of the most tightly bonded ethnic group in the world. But the well established southern Jewish community resented being grouped together with this new Jewish Yiddish community with customs that were mostly alien to them.

I think if you do some research, you will find many similar cases. Logically the resentment should go towards the people that are arbitrarily grouping ethnicities together based on a secondary characteristic, but often the resentment goes elsewhere.
Agreed!!! It's very sad that a lot of Latinos in NY don't see this! But I don't want to generalize because EDUCATED Latino's know better...

Old 01-10-2013, 09:33 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerd1 View Post
1) Mexico is the mOst popular Hispanic country in the world and that = jealousy.
2) In Hollywood Movies, Mexicans are portrayed badly, so they try to make it as if they are far away from the label that's being portrayed.
#FACT With tiny differences most Latinos are the same! educated Latinos know this is a fact.
3) Unlike most countries in Latin America Mexico is not a 3rd world county so a lot of them try to migrate there, but get deported specially Salvadorians because Mexicans from Mexico don't like that Gang stuff (yes, they might have issues with cartels, but cartel main heads do not dress like gang members. Yes, Some Mexican Americans might be "cholos" (gangsters) but thats a US hispanic issue not so much an issue in the country of Mexico. However, Mexico can't/wont deport a Mexican American, but will deport a Salvadorians gang memebers (mara gang) back to El Salvador right away. Obviously that creates recentment.
4) Unfurtunally, this is an issue with Latinos in the USA not LAtino America the countries. See a lot of Latinos from all over go to Mexico to become actors because Mexico DF is the "Hollywood" of Latino America being that Mexican Novelas Are the most famus and get played all over the world. Yes, there are Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Argentinian actors that move to Mexico & make it. Vicente Fernandez sales out concerts in Puerto Rico and all over central & south America... So we need to Stop this nonsense & STOP GENERALIZING!

To finalize, I am From LA used to wk with foster children & would get a lot of salvadorian immigrants, a salvi kid once told me that a Mexican family had picked him up becuSe he was sleeping in the streets In Mexico & they paid for him to come to the US! During the process they feed him & bought him clothes. I also heard a few bad stories of tiefs in Mexico stealing from them but just like every country there are good & bad people. If your staying on the streets or low income hotels well you are going to see the low class people of that county, this applies to every country not just Mexico. As a Mexican we are not raised to speak badly about other Latinos, unlike you guys I do not recall my mother or father injecting all this hater in me about my own Spanish speaking people.. I think all Latinos are beautiful in their own way including Salvadorians and I have a lot of respect for salvi's that make it and are not in Gangs. So much love to everybody and a slap in the face if you are ungreatful to the wk Mexican Americans have put in for most Latinos. Starting with better education towards all Latinos during the 1960's, See in the USA Latino History starts with Mexican Americans because we've been here since the begining & we have accomplished so much and paved the way for the rest of Latinos here, Pick up a latino american history book.
Not jealousy, I do get offended when people call me Mexican, it is mostly beacuse the person saying thinks we are all mexican, and its annoying, also as a 11yo immigrant in the late 80's early 90's, I would watch Univision and it might as well be Televisa, that hasn't changed, I can't watch any spanish programming without hearing about mexican celebrities and soccer teams. Another factor is as an South American to immigrate have you have to be upper middle class to save for the visa and plane tickets, Mexicans jump the border, not that I am hating I think everyone deserves the chance to feed their family, I am not anti immigrant and are for rights for undocumented workers, its just a different from a social economic perspective.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:50 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Anecdotally while on vacation once with family and friends a Caucasian lady asked my sis if she was Mexican after she spoke a lil spanish to a friends son. We were bothered more because it was an odd question considering we weren't even talking to that lady, also we are Caribbean Hispanics and don't look remotely like the stereotype of Mexicans.

I have nothing against Mexicans but would find it odd to be confused with one. Some people who are not Hispanic tend to lump all Hispanics into one big monolithic group and because Mexicans are the most common there is a tendency to make everyone a Mexican. I think some Hispanic people are very prideful of their own respective cultures and resent being grouped that way. Also clearly there is an association of Mexicans with the bottom rungs of US society. Not saying that is right but that is clearly the reality of current US dynamics.

Also I would disagree that Latinos are basically the same. Sure some countries are very similar. But on the whole except for Spanish and some common religious influences there are many cultural differences. Dominican culture is vastly different from Mexican culture for instance. Not saying one is better than the other mind you.

Here in nyc Mexicans are rapidly growing populationwise and I do sense some resentment coming from other Hispanic groups but its sort of an underlying thing, it hasnt really bubbled to surface and for the most part Hispanics get along well with each other here.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 02-06-2013 at 04:05 AM..

Old 02-08-2013, 12:20 AM

39 posts, read 147,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Most asian youtubers say this too. Many of them are korean and japanese, and make blogs about how everyone calls them chinese. Its the same everywhere you go. Mexicans look down on cubans, salvadoreans. Meanwhile Cuban Americans and Salvadoreans Americans look down on Mexicans.
Wow lol, Most of the salvadoran culture, cuisine, and even the cholo sub-culture style they've adopted from chicanos originally have roots in mexico.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:10 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
I dont know what goes on over there but all these similar threads remind me of this comedy sketch..

The Two Ronnies - 2000 Today - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.