Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 09:04 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Security initiatives recently announced by the Mexican government suggest that the country may move to reaffirm its sovereignty and focus less on the interests of the U.S. and other foreign countries, a former assistant special agent at the Department of Homeland Security said....Olson said that U.S. efforts to secure the border will probably remain at their current levels and Mexico’s plan wouldn’t change that. He said, however, that proponents of tighter border security could use immigration as a bargaining chip when comprehensive reform is debated during the next Congress. “There seems to be talk that in exchange for creating a pathway to legalization, either residency or citizenship, there may be more support for more border enforcement, so that might increase” he said.
I doubt this will happen as its only lip service. Last week they were meddling in our affairs. Now there is talk of immigration reform since we resolve the fiscal cliff, Mexico now wants to boost its PR image.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 10:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Well it won't do Mexico any good to have heads rolling in the streets (literally) if they let the cartels continue to rule.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:34 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I doubt this will happen as its only lip service. Last week they were meddling in our affairs. Now there is talk of immigration reform since we resolve the fiscal cliff, Mexico now wants to boost its PR image.
So now we are down to blackmail?

Old 01-03-2013, 09:54 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Mexico needs to butt out of our affairs already.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:00 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Mexico has evolved from simply a country through which narcotics transit from South America to the USA to one in which synthetic (illegal) drugs, heroin, marijuana, etc. are mass produced for introduction into the USA market and also a nation where its citizens are consuming narcotics at ever increasing levels. The federal government has lost control of major portions of the country and the cartels/domestic terrorists reign in those areas. The expansion of organized crime into many facets of everyday life of Mexico has been explosive, and that, combined with the dishonest strain of DNA present in so many Mexicans, evidenced by the broad-based corruption throughout society, presents almost insurmountable challenges for the government ... for the foreseeable future. Mexico can walk away from the admirable struggles with the narco terrorists waged by the Calderon, Fox and Zedillo presidential administrations, but they might as well as turn the lights out on the country and hand over the keys to the bad guys. Like it or not, Mexico and the USA are joined at the hip on security issues and the legalization of mota in the USA, or Mexico, isn't likely to put much of a dent in the criminal/terror enterprises.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:22 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Mexico needs to butt out of our affairs already.
That's rich considering how often and to what magnitude we meddle in Mexico's affairs. Also, if you actually read the article, it was about policies where Mexico complies less with what the US wants Mexico to do within Mexico's borders.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:29 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,932,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
combined with the dishonest strain of DNA present in so many Mexicans, evidenced by the broad-based corruption throughout society
Did you come up with this, or did you cut and paste it from somewhere else? Are you seriously saying Mexicans come out of the womb dishonest? If this is what you mean---I am stunned.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:51 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
Did you come up with this, or did you cut and paste it from somewhere else? Are you seriously saying Mexicans come out of the womb dishonest? If this is what you mean---I am stunned.
Yes, I believe all too many Mexicans, tens of millions of them, are corrupt/dishonest to their core. One of the indicators of that is the level to which corruption of all forms has expanded and has become institutionalized/accepted and how that corruption is a integral part of their financial support system. If you're stunned by the commentary I suspect you haven't lived in Mexico or interacted with Mexicans in Mexico that much.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:12 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Yes, I believe all too many Mexicans, tens of millions of them, are corrupt/dishonest to their core. One of the indicators of that is the level to which corruption of all forms has expanded and has become institutionalized/accepted and how that corruption is a integral part of their financial support system. If you're stunned by the commentary I suspect you haven't lived in Mexico or interacted with Mexicans in Mexico that much.
But to say it's in their DNA is to say that they are born corrupt rather than a product of the culture or environment (which by itself is contentious). You are saying that if a mexican infant were adopted into another country with no ties to mexico or mexican culture and no expectations from the adopted parents or the community they live in that there is any reason to view them as corrupt that the mexican-descent infant will nonetheless grow up to become corrupt.

I suspect that is bull and saying that should get you a boot in the face.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:19 AM

836 posts, read 2,948,386 times
Quote:
You have many prejudices against Mexicans...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico