Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 12:17 PM

275 posts, read 978,494 times

Advertisements

Hello, im not trying to generalize, but american travelers in mexico are almost white. I live in Mexico City, on a crowded area for international tourists(Chapultepec & Polanco).

I always try to listen the accent of all the tourists that visit us, and in most of cases i listen american and french accents.

In Mexico City and other areas of Mexico is very hard to african-american tourists, even mexican-american(not visiting their relatives).

Do african-americans have different perspectives when they plan a trip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 02:33 PM

836 posts, read 2,948,386 times
You are in fact generalizing...

Old 02-22-2013, 03:45 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times
Blacks are only about 13 percent of the American population. Something like 30% of them live below the poverty line and can't afford to travel. And generally speaking, black Americans aren't known for traveling.

Instead of being surprised by not seeing many black Americans, I'd be surprised to see more than a few.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:00 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Blacks are only about 13 percent of the American population. Something like 30% of them live below the poverty line and can't afford to travel. And generally speaking, black Americans aren't known for traveling.

Instead of being surprised by not seeing many black Americans, I'd be surprised to see more than a few.
It's the same way that Americans see very few white Mexican immigrants and mostly see indigenous or at least Mestizo people, because of the patterns set up by historical racial dynamics.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:12 PM

83 posts, read 518,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanluisito View Post
Hello, im not trying to generalize, but american travelers in mexico are almost white. I live in Mexico City, on a crowded area for international tourists(Chapultepec & Polanco).

I always try to listen the accent of all the tourists that visit us, and in most of cases i listen american and french accents.

In Mexico City and other areas of Mexico is very hard to african-american tourists, even mexican-american(not visiting their relatives).

Do african-americans have different perspectives when they plan a trip?
not really, you have many people in Europe visiting Mexico City especially Spaniards
americans i believe just love the mexican native american culture and the delicious food Mexico has to offer

Old 02-22-2013, 08:28 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,932,751 times
I lived in Mexico City for almost two years recently---and did quite a lot of traversing the city going to and from my various teaching jobs. I can count on one hand how many black people I saw in all my time there (as well as in other cities--big and small). In fact, the lack of black people in Mexico was so conspicuous that I mentioned it several times to people. Also---my American black friends do, indeed, travel (so boo hiss hiss to the poster that said black people do not travel---it's just not true). My black friends simply choose other destinations (e.g. the many Carribean islands come to mind). And...to the poster above who says Americans love the delicious Mexican food and the native culture so that's why they travel there---I say, what on earth?! That hasn't been my assessment of the situation at all---ever. My guess is that Americans travel to Mexico because 1) it's close and 2) it's a very affordable vacation spot. For those of us who've packed up and actually chose to live there---the reasons are entirely different. But the average American tourist goes there for the reasons I mentioned above.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:43 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
What about Asian Americans?

Old 02-23-2013, 02:38 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
(so boo hiss hiss to the poster that said black people do not travel---it's just not true).

No one said 'black people do not travel'. As a whole they travel much less than white Americans. I'm not saying anything by that, just stating a fact.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:27 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I thought all the one's who could afford to travel went to Martha's Vineyard.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:06 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
How many Americans visit DF anyways? I had a condo there 4 years and in all my time there I rarely ran into Americans unless they had family there. I would run into far more of them at the airport changing planes than I would around town. Europeans though were quite numerous in summer, more of them than Americans despite how easy it is for Americans to get there.

If you go to the places marketed to American tourists, ie. beach resorts, you'll find plenty of all races of Americans there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico