Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 11:00 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times

Advertisements

FMT is the Tourist Visa which allows a person to enter Baja Sur below Ensenada to Cabo or into the mainland for a 90 day visit...some times a 180 day is allowed....(only 2 in a 360 day calendar year)(I''ve been there even with a Mexican wife)

FM2/3 is the Legal Residency and/or work permit.

A visit to the Mexican Embassy will answer the above (was there with my future Mexican wife).

As for the CFE (electricity)(Govmt owned) she was a Senior Executive for 7 plants in Mexico.

No matter where/who you talk too a Passport will be needed along with proof of Ownership/Rental agreement for your needs. They may take a Photo Copy of your Passport w/o your knowledge (from my experience).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 11:17 AM

30 posts, read 51,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
No matter where/who you talk too a Passport will be needed along with proof of Ownership/Rental agreement for your needs. They may take a Photo Copy of your Passport w/o your knowledge (from my experience).
Thank you. I'm OK with these requirements, I'll have a lease agreement and passport. I'm not one of these jokers who tries to get a Mexican account over the phone, without ever visting the country!

It's really only the visa I'm concerned about since I don't plan on getting one. I *thought* there was an exception for people that lived within 20km of the border but its unclear to me if this is valid any more.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:37 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeam451 View Post
You mean that they won't give me a bank account without showing that I own property? What if I just have a tourist visa?

Last I was in Mexico was years ago on a study program for 10 months. I wanted to open a checking account, but they said no, because I was on a tourist visa. According to a tourist visa, you cannot earn any money while on that visa. That means active or passive income, and interest on any type of bank account is passive income. Well, that's the way it was years ago. You might just try calling or email them, the world has shrunk, most places now speak English.

Example, my father spent time in Brazil during WWII. I wanted to connect with some former "friends" of his, and wanted to put a notice in the newspaper in Rio. I worried over getting someone to translate it to Portguese, then, WTH, I just wrote it in English, went through! BTW, my "suspicions" were correct, I have some "kin" there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico