Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 09:56 PM

609 posts, read 2,118,419 times

Advertisements

My wife went to visit her family in Monterrey. At 5am someone tried to break in to their house buy prying the bars on the window apart and forcing the window open.
Car in the drive way, apparently not a deterent as it was obvious someone was home.
Thank God for the barking dog and the a$$holes ran off. The police said it was the second call in the same neighborhood that night.
Desperate people do desperate things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 10:09 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,951,617 times
Yea, you were robbed and this automatically signifies there are problems in Mexico. :sarcasm:

I can also make a thread saying how my bike got jacked out of my backyard and title it "Lots of Problems in the United States".

Old 02-08-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Yea, you were robbed and this automatically signifies there are problems in Mexico. :sarcasm:

I can also make a thread saying how my bike got jacked out of my backyard and title it "Lots of Problems in the United States".
You are right. Things like that can happen anywhere.

Let me tell you that in general Mexico has gotten significantly worse in the recent few years and I speak with experience. My wife is from Mexico and I have lived 8 of the past 10 years is various places in Mexico.

I wonder if you simply enjoy sarcasm or how many years you have spent in Mexico. You should only speak of what you have knowledge about.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:35 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregandvicky View Post

Let me tell you that in general Mexico has gotten significantly worse in the recent few years and I speak with experience. My wife is from Mexico and I have lived 8 of the past 10 years is various places in Mexico.

I wonder if you simply enjoy sarcasm or how many years you have spent in Mexico. You should only speak of what you have knowledge about.
From what I've heard, some cities like Guadalajara, Leon, Guanajuato, Puebla are still pretty safe. I'm sure there are others, but the list of areas to be very cautious traveling in seems to be growing pretty fast.

If someone were to ask me -- I'd tell them to take the State Department's travel advisories serious. -- Sure -- chances are nothing will happen (chances are they wouldn't in Detroit or LA either) -- but how much risk does someone want to make. And as long as someone is told of the risks, it's his choice to take them or not.

MIG: Mexico Travel Alert (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_3028.html - broken link)

And as bad as we like to think the Mexican police are -- with so many of them being killed and people becoming fearful of taking those empty jobs, it doesn't make a place safer not to have police.

At one time I thought nothing of getting on a bus or train and going anywhere in Mexico -- I would not really suggest that.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:09 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,951,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregandvicky View Post

I shouldn't speak of which I have knowledge about? Why not? My parents are from Mexico, they lived there way longer than you have. I have family who still lives in Mexico near Guadalajara. The worst thing I've heard is when a murderer from the area killed a woman and a child and through them in a well. Thats pretty horrible, Ibut you only get that ever so often. I know things aren't perfect in Mexico, the corruption makes it a dangerous place but one cannot say a country has problems if someone is broken into. Ever been to Detroit? All countries have problems no matter where you go. I've been going there for 17 years for about two weeks at a time and have never seen someone commit a crime there-- but I can asure you it does. My family and I usually have a good time there.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:35 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
I shouldn't speak of which I have knowledge about? Why not? My parents are from Mexico, they lived there way longer than you have. I have family who still lives in Mexico near Guadalajara. The worst thing I've heard is when a murderer from the area killed a woman and a child and through them in a well. Thats pretty horrible, Ibut you only get that ever so often. I know things aren't perfect in Mexico, the corruption makes it a dangerous place but one cannot say a country has problems if someone is broken into. Ever been to Detroit? All countries have problems no matter where you go. I've been going there for 17 years for about two weeks at a time and have never seen someone commit a crime there-- but I can asure you it does. My family and I usually have a good time there.
it is interesting that you do not like your home country criticized by anyone, yet you spend a lot of your free time on here criticizing america.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
it is interesting that you do not like your home country criticized by anyone, yet you spend a lot of your free time on here criticizing america.

Prologic is right that there are a lot of safe places in Mexico. I have lived in Ajijic, Baja, Huatulco, San Miguel de Allende and Monterrey. I have never had a problem, never.

It seems that he missed the point that things are getting worse in Mexico. My wife having lived there all her life sees it more than I do. A lot of her friends are afraid to go out at night in Monterrey due to the recent drug related murders, YES i KNOW "BIG CITY".

Pro;ogic seems bent on defending that which cannot be defended.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:22 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,436,860 times
Well it's only obvious that the more population the country has, there will be more crime, but you guys make it sound like if Mexico was a place with no safety, and that is completely out of touch with reality.

There are wars between druglords and government yes, we have that problem with gangs such as mara salvatrucha in the south, yes, there is a high rate of kidnappings in some parts of the country, yes, there is a lot of corruption and police involved with organized crime yes, there is also problem with guerrilla groups like appo, or epr the latter which blew some explosives @ pemex ducts yes, but even with that Mexico has a lot of nice things, you can be happy and enjoy your life in Mexico or you can be unhappy and keep worrying about things that you can't control, if you have faith and do good in this world, there's no need to be afraid or to worry because you are protected.

America isn't a paradise either, both countries have security issues that the other country hasn't.

And things are getting worse in America as well, we all get to read the news and know about school shootings, huge parts of cities totally overrun by gangs and drugs, about the safety issues with guns at highschools!! serial murderers like the one who killed some girls at an amish community, the growing racial violence and hate crimes, and now this whole paranoia of terrorism and illegal immigration.

You all say that Mexico is corrupt, and it is, but America is the queen of corruption, just look how many lifes have been lost because of a stupid war driven by greed and selfishness, and what about the current state of the economy, if America wasn't corrupt then how the things got that bad in such a brief time?

Unfortunately with the economy getting worse, crime is getting worse as well, and you all know it but it's easier to criticize Mexico than to be aware of what's going on in America.

Honestly it is unwise to cover your eyes with the veil of arrogance and criticize other countries without starting criticizing your own first.

If you want to speak about the negative things that happen in other countries, it would be wiser to speak about the negative things of yours first and get then yourself well informed about the country you want to criticize first.

Otherwise your words would be just that, words without any real energy they won't do any good or be heard.

Last edited by Travelling fella; 02-09-2008 at 07:02 AM..

Old 02-09-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:

Guadalajara -- isn't that where they kidnapped in broad daylight on a busy street, and then tortured and killed Kiki Camarena? And they killed a bishop. Guadalara is a drug lord hangout of sorts -- but the danger may not affect everyone.

Guadalajara is probably quite safe -- at least in the gated neighborhoods.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
America isn't a paradise either, both countries have security issues that the other country hasn't.

No one says America is completely safe everywhere you go --- you wouldn't really see people suggesting foreigners just come and ignore any warnings -- that those are just fear mongers doing that.

If someone from another country were to ask me -- I would tell them as honestly as possible. I woudn't suggest that it's perfectly safe here -- certainly it's not safe in Los Angeles, Detroit, New Orleans -- but you see a lot of that with people telling others that it's very safe to travel anywhere in Mexico.

I would tell someone who asked me to pay attention to the State Dept travel advisories -- maybe avoid the places listed. Cancun is obviously a tourist area and is relatively safe, and there are certain towns that you don't read too much about. Obviously many parts of Mexico City cater to businessmen and tourists and the wealthy of Mexico and travellers will be safe if they are careful.

I would also say -- Mexico used to be quite safe and not too long ago. I work with people who refused to let their own college age daughters travel in Mexico -- and they are Mexican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico