Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 10:00 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,924,573 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if Mexico City still has the last digit on the license plate restricted on certain days of the week.

That reduced traffic about 20% M-F while I lived there.

Recall where the newspaper said the Police towed in 300-400 cars the first week.

I drove my Calif plated truck obeying their rules even tho I could have been exempt.....hated Mordida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 04:45 PM

5,022 posts, read 7,407,431 times
What about the "fecal cloud" over Mexico City? It has been a while for me (1982) but I remember flying into Mexico City and suddenly smelling feces on the descent to the airport, and it was explained that the plane was going through a cloud of fecal material blowing up from the slums surrounding the city that have no sanitation.

As much as I enjoyed my time in the city, knowing about the fecal could hovering over it made me think it would be my last visit there (which it was).

Old 03-28-2016, 07:22 PM

143 posts, read 192,058 times
it was probably Industrial waste..
that's how Philly Intl' Airport is..
when flying in or driving past..
there's a wretched odor. .. kind of like chemical mixed w/feces.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:15 AM

54 posts, read 55,760 times
Mexico city used to have the worst air quality on the planet.... this was the 90's though.

Today Mexico city is up there with LA. The air quality has improved enormously!

Old 03-29-2016, 12:29 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morga View Post
Mexico city used to have the worst air quality on the planet.... this was the 90's though.

Today Mexico city is up there with LA. The air quality has improved enormously!
Mexico City has far worse air quality than LA. Yes, it has improved from the 1980's, but DF still has days so bad that school is cancelled.

My wife and her sister both have asthma from growing up in DF during the 1980's/1990's. Most kids in their school had asthma and some had frequent rashes/skin problems. And this was in an affluent neighborhood outside the center (Insurgentes Sur area).

Old 03-29-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Insurgentes Sur area).
i take a bus to work and pass there every morning.
the bus says Insurgentes.
im about 10 mins. from there.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:47 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,055,917 times
Quote:
Mexico City has far worse air quality than LA. Yes, it has improved from the 1980's, but DF still has days so bad that school is cancelled.

My wife and her sister both have asthma from growing up in DF during the 1980's/1990's. Most kids in their school had asthma and some had frequent rashes/skin problems. And this was in an affluent neighborhood outside the center (Insurgentes Sur area).
I do know that closing schools used to happen quite a bit in the 80s and 90, and maybe even a few times as late as the early 2000s, but not recently. It's had exactly 1 smog alert in the last 11 years, so perhaps some schools closed then? But I haven't actually heard of that happening anytime recently. There is still more that needs to be done in the city, including passing delayed legislation on heavy-duty vehicle emissions which would further cut particulates over 90%, among others, and increasing mass transit and biking infrastructure, which is constantly ongoing. Enforcement of existing standards is also lax sometimes, as many high-emissions vehicles aren't even registered and are not checked annually. If someone hasn't been to the city since the 1980s or 1990s, though, they would definitely notice a huge change.

Last edited by jbcmh81; 03-30-2016 at 10:05 AM..

Old 03-30-2016, 11:32 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
If someone hasn't been to the city since the 1980s or 1990s, though, they would definitely notice a huge change.
I'm there a couple times a year, and don't notice a huge change, and neither does my wife. In the dry season, the air is still very bad, and our eyes occasionally burn (and I sometimes get brown stuff in my nose).

And schools still close all the time. She's on the listserv for her old school, and they close occasionally on bad air days. In fact there was a citywide air pollution alert just last week.

Part of the reason all the wealthy moved out of the city center during the 70's/80's/90's was because of the air pollution (the other reason was soil conditions, which are a big factor for danger during earthquakes). That's why Santa Fe, Las Lomas, and all those areas to the west/south exist. People gasping for cleaner air. Poor/working class people obviously have no choice and have to breath the foul air.

All that said, still a great city, and one of the most interesting places I have visited. Couldn't live there, though. Not with a kid.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
(and I sometimes get brown stuff in my nose).
yep.. i just said this exact same thing last week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanOLee View Post
when i get home, and blow my nose.. it's black.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:30 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,096 times
Quote:

Mine too, and from the exact same area.

Also, when I lived in DF (late 90s early 00s) I would frequently blow my nose and find black deposits in my snot. It's such a great city, but like all mega-cities, it has its defects too. I would never call it "la defectuosa," as some do, but it I'm not blind to it's weak points. What I miss most is the people and the vibrant feel of the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico