Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 03:23 AM

20 posts, read 21,427 times

Advertisements

Retired human services, on SSA, income about 1k/mo. Can work in my field part time,but rather not. Looking at MX border towns for low costs. Ensenada,Juarez,Nogales. On straight medicare-medical is important. May need food stamps,etc. Many reports of US Citizens having problems with idiot Customs crossing the border-how to neutralize this since I will be crossing often, sometimes for medical. No car now,prefer not to drive. Which city would you choose and specifically why? Thanks for any good replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 11:00 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
You can't get food stamps if you live in Mexico. If you're going to be crossing often get a Sentri pass, otherwise, you could be in line for a while, even walking. How often do you plan to cross the border? That will make a difference on where you live. You can live on your income of $1K in Mexico very easily.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:05 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
With NO CAR a Sentri pass is stamped on a persons forehead.....saves time walking across.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:34 PM

Thx for replies. Looks like Ensenada is safer than Juarez. But no one replied to the op question.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:03 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,683 times
There is no right answer to your question. No border town is safe. Period. Ensenada is less dangerous than Tijuana, Nogales, Tecate, Mexicali, C. Morelos (Yuma), or Juarez. The town/area that I would recommend is Puerto Penasco, Sonora, about 60 miles from the border with Arizona. PP much safer than living on the border, a fishing/port town (shrimp boats), with bus service to the border town of Sonoyta.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
With NO CAR a Sentri pass is stamped on a persons forehead.....saves time walking across.
All true!

Old 05-15-2016, 10:13 AM

If you plan to cross often, I recommend living closer than Ensenada. You can easily live on $1k in Mexico. There's no reason for you to have problems with Customs, if all of your documents are in order when you cross the border. I recommend Rosarito or Tijuana for being close to the border, and like I said in my first post, you can't get food stamps living in Mexico.

Old 05-15-2016, 11:36 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
OP has NO car (his choice) so TJ would be the border town here while Rosarito would be a 19 mile walk for him or to take the Route Taxi (reasonable but time consuming)(been there) Ensenada about a 60 mile ABC bus ride.

Not sure about the other places mentioned having had NO experience there.

Medicare/Medical/Food stamps need a US physical address. As for any VA needs, I cross over when needed. (Korea Vet)

Many US RX items can be purchased over the counter at a Mexico Pharmacy.....while some things do need a Mexican Dr prescription.

US BP secondary has a list of prohibited RX items (been there).

The list goes...the list goes on.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:39 AM

Default i guess no one has been to all

Ok, I guess I have more experience than any of the repliers, but thanks anyways for the replies.
I've been to most of the border towns mentioned, some several times and some not mentioned. The the original post asked about overall differences between the cities, not just safety. I guess no one here has lived or spent time in all the places mentioned as I have. Was hoping to extend and compare notes with someone who has either lived in several towns or visited there frequently. The border towns tend to reflect the atmosphere on the other side of the border, i.e. they reflect SCal, TX, AZ. I have not been to Ensenada or Rosarita. The costs I think would be cheaper in Juarez and Nogales compared to Tijuana. TJ is really a bad place imo. But I am guessing the jerks I dealt with in Nogales (BP agents) are worse than the ones in Juarez/El Paso or TJ, but I could be wrong. Most of them are ok, but many are corrupt and gestapo like in their behavior and attitudes.

Last edited by miczmehandl; 05-16-2016 at 04:39 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 05-16-2016, 11:21 AM

Steve Bagu lives in Rosarito, and I have lived in Tijuana. Both cities are safe. If you plan to cross the border often, you're going to need to live close to it, and get a SENTRI pass before you move. Otherwise, you could be standing in line to cross the border all day, unless you leave around 2-3am, because people start lining up to go to work after 3. If you don't try to cause any problems when you cross the border, you won't have any. because CBP has plenty of work to do, without you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico