Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 10:09 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,755 times

Advertisements

NationMaster - Murders (per capita) (most recent) by country

Mexico is #6 in the world. Just for reference Colombia is #1, US is #24, Canada #44, New Zealand #52, Qatar# 62.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 10:27 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Interestingly enough, in the Total Crimes per capita category it's the US:

NationMaster - Total crimes (per capita) (most recent) by country (http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_tot_cri_percap-crime-total-crimes-per-capita - broken link)

US - #8
Canada - #12
Mexico - #39

Ken

Old 02-18-2008, 11:04 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,952,077 times
If it's #6 I wouldn't call it the "murder capital".

Check this out:

NationMaster - Assaults (most recent) by country

U.S is #1 in Assaults

And Mexico having drug problems? Ours are worse.

NationMaster - Drug offences (most recent) by country

#4 in drug offences, Mexico #27

Old 02-18-2008, 11:07 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
FYI -

Take note of the title of the thread and you'll note that the OP calls Mexico the "Murder Capital of NORTH AMERICA" (caps are mine) - which the statistics indicate it is - just as the same website's statistics indicate that the US is the overall "CRIME Capital of North America".

Ken

Old 02-18-2008, 02:43 PM
edk

95 posts, read 543,635 times
Sure, all thse people in the US running around with guns, and not even being members of a well-regulated militia.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:42 PM

719 posts, read 2,666,792 times
Mexican crime is underreported.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:02 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lndigo View Post
Mexican crime is underreported.

That's what a lot of people from Mexico say. They say that in Mexico, in many places, people don't bother going to the police before for one if they are poor the police won't help them, and for another, the police might actually be involved in the crime or with the criminals.

Even very serious crimes like kidnapping for ransom doesn't get reported and domestic abuse laws are non existent for many. Same goes for rape -- if a wealthy man rapes a poor woman -- no one cares.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post

Check this out:

NationMaster - Assaults (most recent) by country

U.S is #1 in Assaults

And Mexico having drug problems? Ours are worse.

NationMaster - Drug offences (most recent) by country

#4 in drug offences, Mexico #27

If they USA is so much worse in everyway than Mexico -- then why are you in the USA? Why would your family have left Mexico?

At least be honest -- Americans are not filling boxcars trying to leave their country and not too many Americans died crossing the Mexican border. Ignoring the problems of Mexico -- such as over 600 people fleeing their own homeland will not make the problems go a way.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:49 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,437,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's what a lot of people from Mexico say. They say that in Mexico, in many places, people don't bother going to the police before for one if they are poor the police won't help them, and for another, the police might actually be involved in the crime or with the criminals.

Even very serious crimes like kidnapping for ransom doesn't get reported and domestic abuse laws are non existent for many. Same goes for rape -- if a wealthy man rapes a poor woman -- no one cares.
I have to be honest with you friend, and help your ignorance be burnt, it is true that mexico has many problems, but your idea of the country is totally wrong.

Also, if you want to speak bad of Mexico, ok, but get informed first, work on destroying your ignorance so you can make good observations, and if you are going to speak bad of others, you should start with yourself first.

What can you say about the united states of America? I could say many things, but I come here to make friends, to create constructive dialogues, not to bash other countries, but if we research thoroughly, every one has a weak spot.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
I have to be honest with you friend, and help your ignorance be burnt, it is true that mexico has many problems, but your idea of the country is totally wrong.

Also, if you want to speak bad of Mexico, ok, but get informed first, work on destroying your ignorance so you can make good observations, and if you are going to speak bad of others, you should start with yourself first.

What can you say about the united states of America? I could say many things, but I come here to make friends, to create constructive dialogues, not to bash other countries, but if we research thoroughly, every one has a weak spot.
I live right on the border -- I can look out my window right now and see Mexico -- and all my neighbors are Mexican refugees. I see hard working people who say they could not get ahead in Mexico but they can here. Over 600 people dying every year speaks volumes. Sure some people living in places like the Zona Rosa live very very well -- and they don't see the people making the lonely trek through the hot desert -- their own fellow citizens -- and they don't care.

I realize that many leaving come here for the welfare offered here -- there is a lot of that here -- but it's also the hardest working people of Mexico leaving. And middle class who will come right out and say they couldn't not make an honest living there because of the corruption. And I know of families broken up -- wage earner in the USA -- and in my mind a remittance father isn't very good -- children need their fathers home helping to raise them -- of course the Mexican government wants the remittance money flowing in -- but what that does to families will harm your society forever.

I think it's shameful the way all prosperity comes to a screeching halt when you reach the Rio Grande (or Rio Bravo if you will) and that such a wealthy nation blessed with many natural resources offers so little to so many of it's people. And yes -- I also see the wealthy shoppers from Mexico in their brand new SUV's and expensive clothes.

Ignoring the problems isn't going to make them go away -- and there is no comparison because those boxcars sitting in scorching deserts aren't filled with Americans trying to escape their fate in their country. And it's not Americans dying in the sewers and canals trying to flee the USA.

The Mexican presidents can brag all day long about how well the well-off of Mexico are doing -- but here in the USA, we see the other side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico