Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2017, 08:24 PM

911 posts, read 2,156,280 times

Advertisements

Cozumel, Tulum, or Playa del Carmen is where we are currently looking for rents. Subject to change, depending on what we find out along the way. Still looking at Merida, but really curious about this area for now.

Does anyone know where to find good local rental home or apartment listings? I don't want to pay 3x normal rent because I am foreign, if I can avoid it.
Does anyone know which is more walkable and has the best public transport?
Which would you choose with school age children/teens?

Any personal experience with any of these places would be great.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 09:26 PM

Wow, just read this... Anyone know about this?

https://www.google.com/amp/www.newsw...9.html%3famp=1

Old 12-22-2017, 06:29 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times
craigslist?

Old 12-22-2017, 09:16 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,581,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post
Cozumel, Tulum, or Playa del Carmen is where we are currently looking for rents. Subject to change, depending on what we find out along the way. Still looking at Merida, but really curious about this area for now.

Does anyone know where to find good local rental home or apartment listings? I don't want to pay 3x normal rent because I am foreign, if I can avoid it.
Does anyone know which is more walkable and has the best public transport?
Which would you choose with school age children/teens?

Any personal experience with any of these places would be great.

Thanks
I used Expedia and rented a condo on Cozumel. Just pay credit and did everything online. It was a package deal with direct airfare from Atlanta. The condo was quite nice - actually much better than expected - about 1000 sq feet with full kitchen, two Bedrooms with full baths on the ocean. Cozumel is quite small and you can walk to downtown restaurants and bars and shopping. You can rent mopeds and drive around the island. We took one day and caught a ferry to PdC and rented a car going to the Senotes to swim and then down to the Mayan ruins - ending the day by catching the ferry back.

PdC looked nice in the downtown area but I would probably recommend Cozumel instead - although prices in Cozumel are higher as there are several cruise ships stopping there per day.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:10 PM

801 posts, read 1,514,346 times
Playa del Carmen is a bigger than the other two by quite a bit and would probably be my choice. It will have the most choices of everything.

Only pick Merida if you can stand the heat... I remember a couple 100° F days when I went last December.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:02 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
I wouldn't want to raise children in Playa. It's very crowded with tourists, not as clean or as safe as it was twenty years ago.

If you are talking about long-term rental I'd suggest the area of Puerto Morelos. The schools are good there and it's safer. The colony on the west side of Highway 307 has brand new apartments with swimming pools and on the transportation lines.

If you stay on Cozumel you will be dealing with the ferry every time you want to go somewhere. There's only one town, it's touristy and isolated.

However, if you are talking about vacation, Playa del Carmen would make a good base for trips to Tulum, Cozumel, Cancun and the ruins. It's a fun place if you like lots of noise and excitement. Not so much if you want quiet living.

Check Air bnb, VRBO, Cancun newspaper "Por Esto."

Old 12-29-2017, 10:05 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,234,293 times
for living is better Cancun, or Tulum for a more quiet style of life.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:38 AM

Puerto Morelos. I will check it out, thanks!

Thanks for all the good info I'm really not sure what we are looking for at this point. I was hoping for coast, but I really just want reasonably mild climate and safe, with some things to do. I enjoy nice architecture and cobblestone streets and big old cathedrals.
If anyone has some ideas, let me know please.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:23 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
"I enjoy nice architecture and cobblestone streets and big old cathedrals.
If anyone has some ideas, let me know please."

If these are your main concerns then you may want to look at Merida or Valladolid.

Old 01-01-2018, 06:37 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,030,437 times
I vote: Playa del Carmen or Isla Holbox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico