Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2019, 06:54 AM

622 posts, read 427,618 times

Advertisements

Ancient Americans were like Australians, that call wog to anybody not British.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 09:06 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Actually I’m American and I see Mexicans as people of Spanish origin, a European ethnicity. This IMO makes most Mexican people members of the white race. Now the US and Canada are British and other Northern European in their makeup so we are quite culturally different from each other but both groups hail from white European stock.

Old 01-16-2019, 03:18 PM

764 posts, read 392,295 times
I was always told Mexicans are part Spanish and part American Indian. Some Mexicans have no Indian in them, they have the square Spanish faces instead of the big cheekbones of American Indians. Spanish people from Spain are white, Indians have brown skin.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:28 PM

76 posts, read 56,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Mestizos are clearly not the same thing. They are just as indigenous as they are Spanish. Sometimes even more so.

Merely some superficial differences between a Mestizo and a "criollo" imo.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:51 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaxkan View Post
Merely some superficial differences between a Mestizo and a "criollo" imo.
Culturally speaking yes, but in Guatemala many Mestizos are clearly more indigenous that white. I would say the majority.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:40 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
There's a new study that came out that indicates that the light pigmentation in some Latin Americans comes from Amerindians not European ancestry. Just because some people have light pigmentation doesn't indicate that they are primarily of European ancestry.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019...nEIDfXYclgssno

Old 01-24-2019, 09:45 PM

76 posts, read 56,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
There's a new study that came out that indicates that the light pigmentation in some Latin Americans comes from Amerindians not European ancestry. Just because some people have light pigmentation doesn't indicate that they are primarily of European ancestry.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019...nEIDfXYclgssno

I’ve wondered where the “light skin” in some of my family members came from (we have little to no European admixture). I’ve seen people online claiming “light skin” on Indigenous Americans came from colonial European admixture but I always thought it was an Indigenous trait that may have come from the time the ancestral population lived near the arctics (Siberia/Beringia)… I guess this proves it. Really interesting article btw, thanks for posting it.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:18 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 932,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Most people don't think that they are 'not white' - its only in the USA that they seem to be labelled a different race to all other Caucasions - which just seems daft to me.
Brits and Canadians think so as well. Since they often get their news about Mexicans from American sources.

They love to argue with me or look at me oddly when telling them I am Mexican of mestizo descent (or harnizo: 2/3 European and 1/3 Amerindian) since I am tan/light brown and average height with a Caucasian hook nose. They often mistake me as a Sephardi Jew or Indian but when I tell that I am not, then they get a bit discriminatory and think I am Middle Eastern (Muslim) and give me dirty looks and patrol my every movement in airports and train stations.

Ironically, it is often the Ashkies (Ashkenazi Jews) from the UK and USA who are very intolerant of me when I told them I am not Jewish....Sephardi and Mizrahi Jews still treated me well even after telling them I am not Jewish.

I have to laugh at Americans, Brits, and Canadians that if they can accept there such things as lighter skin Indians, why can they not accept that there are lighter skin Mexicans?

Last edited by FBF; 01-27-2019 at 05:27 PM..

Old 04-15-2019, 12:42 PM

3 posts, read 2,805 times
Skin color isn't important and there's nothing good or bad about "whiteness", but Mexicans aren't white. The supposedly white Mexicans in the photos posted here aren't white.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:08 PM

1,350 posts, read 882,934 times
Most mexicans imo look more native than just white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico