Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2019, 08:45 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,020,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takezoe View Post
I acknowledge what the op was trying to do; educate people on Mexico's devisity. But this thread is so similar to dozens of other threads from other nationalities and cultures crying about how they are actually white and not brown..

Countless times I've heard people from India, Turkey and Somalia make detailed arguments on how they are not people of color but are Caucasians.

If they are or not, shouldn't matter in this day in age. When almost everyone in both americas speak European languages and has European ancestry from colonial times.

Yes Mexicans can be white but most of the poor ones being walked over in mexico city are brown, maybe thats why they come to the U.S.
They are Caucasian. This has nothing to do with being "people of color". They are not "people of light". Caucasian is a skull type. Caucasian does not mean white. White means European. You can be Caucasian without being white/European. Isn't this obvious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
Most mexicans imo look more native than just white.
You're close...

Old 04-22-2019, 02:07 PM

3,864 posts, read 2,237,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario95 View Post
I have been browsing a lot threads on here saying all Mexicans are people of color?
This is a generational thing. In the United States, Mexicans were traditionally considered white. Most people who grew up in the 40s/50s/60s actually saw them as white. It wasn't until the 70s and the 80s after the "hispanic" concept was politically fabricated that they started to be seen as non-white minorities.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:49 PM

It was also due to post-1965 immigration from Mexico and Central/South America

Old 04-24-2019, 11:08 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,794,120 times
Mexico is comprised of primarily two ethnic races: those descended from Spaniards (white) and those descended from native Americans and a lot of Mexicans are a mixture. Physically speaking, feature-wise many of them fall into the latter category, where even if they might not consider themselves "indigenous", they have a lot of indigenous blood. On the other hand, my dad doesn't look indigenous but even so has about 25% native american blood.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:21 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 934,224 times
@TakeZoe: Turkey neighbors Bulgaria and is a Eurasian country....so yes: there are white Turks and they are still Caucasian regardless of skin color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Mexico is comprised of primarily two ethnic races: those descended from Spaniards (white) and those descended from native Americans and a lot of Mexicans are a mixture. Physically speaking, feature-wise many of them fall into the latter category, where even if they might not consider themselves "indigenous", they have a lot of indigenous blood. On the other hand, my dad doesn't look indigenous but even so has about 25% native american blood.
You know there are such people who are mestizo but have Caucasian facial features, average height, and light/tanned skin but not dark brown, right?

Like me and most of my family from Jalisco and much of Northern Mexico....there are even guero looking Mexicans or castizos (what you dad would be considered) over there!

Last edited by FBF; 05-01-2019 at 08:50 PM..

Old 05-01-2019, 10:51 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,426,564 times
It ant about being white or brown,, Its about not being here if you dont have your legal papers.. lol

Old 05-03-2019, 01:25 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,110,131 times
Most British DNA, certainly in Wales and the West of England have high Iberian DNA. Not surprised to find there are standing stones in Portugal.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:35 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,830,921 times
I’ve met a number of people of Mexican descent, but no one who could be mistaken as being of Northern European ancestry. Those people may be the ones among Mexico’s elite. They tend not to migrate to the US to work in agriculture, food processing, restaurants, or as construction workers, which are the jobs where most Americans outside of the border states encounter Mexican immigrants. When you ask an American what the typical Mexican looks like, someone like Guillermo del Toro doesn’t come to mind.
Anyone remember Ricardo Montalban? He was fairly swarthy, but his parents were immigrants from Spain.

Old 05-06-2019, 12:15 AM

6,514 posts, read 7,562,786 times
What are you talking about, Michael Moore totally looks like a Mexican. LOL

I often see Northern European looking Mexicans in El Paso driving around with Chihuahua licence plates, likely Mennonite descendants, but I know darn well they are a minority in Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico