Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 11:54 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,888,213 times

Advertisements

A $200 place for what you would pay $2000 for in San Diego? Good luck with finding that. Its cheaper, but not 10 times cheaper. Maybe if you compare the worst options against the absolute best options, but thats not a real comparison. A more like for like comparison would be something like pay $500 for something that is $1300-1500 in Chula Vista. Then when you think about the extra time you spend commuting and border crossing, you have to ask yourself is the $1000 I save worth it, is my time worth something to me? If you spend an extra 2 hours a day commuting, thats 40-50 or so hours a month, is your time worth $20-25 an hour to you?

This is pretty much a Southern California story, people driving to Temecula or further to save $1500 a month on a house payment, is that worth it? To some without the resources there may be no other choice or their pay is low enough they dont mind the time lost for the savings. Others though really have to be more deliberate about their decision and think about the time vs money trade off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 09:27 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,429,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
Get a nice studio apartment there for like $200 a month.
I hope your expectations of "nice" are flexible. You can find a $200 apartment but I'd consider it more of a fixer upper than NICE. A nice place in a decent location would be more in the $400 range these days and lets not forget gas and water.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
That's more than enough, you can rent a mansion with your monthly income. If my monthly income was the same as yours, I could rent a really nice place in San Diego.
Where would you live on a budget of $2,700 a month ?

Old 06-10-2018, 09:34 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Where would you live on a budget of $2,700 a month ?
In Central San Diego. When I lived in Tijuana, I paid CFE, bought my propane tank, and didn't have to pay water.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:42 AM

OP you better think twice about emergency services in TJ. If you have pre existing health issues that might require urgent care TJ is not the place for it. Emergency response times are pathetic in most cases.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:34 PM

7 posts, read 13,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
I have thought about doing this when I hit retirement age. I don't have a great pension. I get about 1,650 per month plus around 1k in Social Security if it does not blow up. Do you guys think 2600-2700 is enough to live on in TJ?
For sure! We have a family of 5 and live comfortably on less than 2000/ month. Food savings alone are worth it.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:48 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,947,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbs_mama View Post
For sure! We have a family of 5 and live comfortably on less than 2000/ month. Food savings alone are worth it.
Mexican border towns are maybe my only hope of having a comfortable retirement as it stands. 2700 per month on your own without a spouse helping out leaves nothing left in big USA cities. I like TJ because San Diego is next door. It will be hard work buying Chinese Groceries I admit. I am Chinese.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Mexican border towns are maybe my only hope of having a comfortable retirement as it stands. 2700 per month on your own without a spouse helping out leaves nothing left in big USA cities. I like TJ because San Diego is next door. It will be hard work buying Chinese Groceries I admit. I am Chinese.
Actually there are a few chinese grocery stores in Tijuana. I have walked by them before. I don't know what you are specifically looking for but I am sure local chinese can turn you onto other places. There are a lot of chinese inTJ. You won't be alone.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:19 AM

1,302 posts, read 683,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
So this is me...an early 40's white guy. I've been to Tijuana a few times before while still living in California. The last time was the year 2001 right before 9/11.

I mean there are so many benefits about living in Tijuana. It's way cheaper. I used to know a guy years ago who used to pay $200 a month for an apartment in TJ just minutes from the border. He lived in Tijuana and worked in San Diego. Compare that $200 rent price to like $2,000 in certain parts of SD.

Tijuana has a great nightlife. So many nightclubs and bars so alot of partying going on.

Tijuana also has cheaper healthcare. A lot of Americans travel over the border to take advantage of that.

There are some negatives too. Tijuana just last year registered over 1,700 murders. By comparison New York City, a city about 5 times the size of TJ, only registered not even 300 murders. TJ's homicide rate is about twice the rate of the most dangerous U.S. cities of Detroit, New Orleans, St Louis, or Baltimore.

Control for street drug trade pushes Tijuana to grisly new record: 1,744 homicides - The San Diego Union-Tribune

And it's sort of well known the police in TJ are sort of corrupt. The only way of getting off the line with TJ cops in some instances is by giving cash money to them right there right then. And you better hope you don't wind up in a TJ jail. Because the jails there aren't like American jails. I'll just leave it at that. A San Diego jail is like a 5 star hotel compared to a TJ jail.

And you better know how to speak some Spanish if you are in TJ. Since most people there only speak Spanish. There are many who speak English too. Unfortunately for me I only know about 10 words of Spanish. It probably wouldn't be a tough language to learn though.

So this is what I was thinking of maybe doing, despite the TJ negatives. To save up a few thousand dollars where I live in Ohio. I would have to get a passport too. Then move to Tijuana, Mexico. Get a nice studio apartment there for like $200 a month. Go over to San Diego and get a job there. So I'll be living in TJ and working in SD (a city I last lived in 2010). Taking the SD trolley and bus for job commuting. Sounds like a great idea, right?
Go Away from Night Life in Tijuana, if you are Drug addict or as Drug Addicts say, you just take it for funn, you are in serious risk dealing with drug dealers. STAY AWAY from Tijuana or any border city.

If you Look for night life, STAY in USA, don't go to Night Life in México, avoid it completly, around 10 pm go to your home and lock the door, until next day in the Morning drug dealers take advantage of the night to go around.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:12 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,947,010 times
I currently go to Tijuana twice per year for fun. I do go to the Zona Norte ( you guys know what it is LOL). Never had anyone try to mug me or follow me as I still where everyone else is.

One time I was in Adelita and dropped my wallet. Minutes later the DJ announced my name - I was huh? why? Someone had returned my wallet with my Nexus card, drivers license, and about 160 USA dollars in it. Not one dollar was taken. I was so lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico