Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 08:42 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Now you're just being silly. Why don't you go live in South Chicago and see how you like it.
Your analogy is flawed. When I suggested Chihuahua I'm suggesting you go live in a typical Mexican town. If you're going to relocate to another country, you need to experience it the way the majority of locals experience it, instead of living in insular expat communities or rich neighborhoods. You can't claim to live in Mexico if you're living in a place that is not typical for its people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Could you elaborate?
Women are expected to be submissive. What men say goes.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:10 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,906,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Your analogy is flawed. When I suggested Chihuahua I'm suggesting you go live in a typical Mexican town. If you're going to relocate to another country, you need to experience it the way the majority of locals experience it, instead of living in insular expat communities or rich neighborhoods. You can't claim to live in Mexico if you're living in a place that is not typical for its people.
I live in the village, my neighbors are Mexican. Like any Mexican village, the housing is mixed and you don't know what is behind the gates unless you are invited in or peer over their wall. One house on my street has a dirt floor and the family is very poor due to the disability of the father and having 6 kids. Most houses are occupied by working class families, laborers mostly, a few wives work as housekeepers (for other Mexicans, not expats, btw). A few houses on the street are weekend houses owned by Mexicans from Guadalajara....a doctor, an engineer, one is a successful vendor at the main meat market in Guadalajara. Only the doctor speaks passable English.

There are expats who live in gated communities outside of the village. That's not my vision of being an expat either.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Women are expected to be submissive. What men say goes.
That's changed and continues to change. As I've said before, MX is at least 30 years behind the US in many aspects. All the dentists I've been to here, are women. I know 2 local female architects (one is quite famous in Mexico). We have been to a few large private clinics and estimate that at least a third of the doctors are women.

I think the biggest factor in this change is due to access to birth control. Even in the 10+ years I have been visiting or living in MX, the family size is shrinking and I see far less teenage pregnancies. My gardener and his wife have a 3 year old and do not plan to have another; the wife (and husband) want to give her an education, they tell me. Sending a kid to college is not automatic or cheap in Mexico.

Keeping the women barefoot and pregnant, always gave men power....it was like that in the US at one time, too.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
I live in the village, my neighbors are Mexican.
Excellent.

Old 05-25-2019, 06:45 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,143,462 times
If Mexico is such a great country, why are you coming to USA illegally? Do you just love to work doing manual labor that really bring you so many of you to usa?

Old 05-25-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
If Mexico is such a great country, why are you coming to USA illegally? Do you just love to work doing manual labor that really bring you so many of you to usa?
Mexico is a good example of 1%'rs. Much of the country is poor. I live here and have owned a home here since 2008. Several of the better restaurants in my town are owned by MXN men who went norte, illegally. It was their intent to go there for a few years, save their money and return to MX to start a business. Same with the best contractors here....they went norte, came back after a few years with the capital they could not acquire here. Other business owners, coffee shop, hardware store....that's what they did.

A few others told me then went norte for a few years to save enough money to build homes and/or start a family.

If the US had a better work permit program for jobs Americans do not want to do, and let MXN's come to the US for a finite period without their family, it would be a benefit to BOTH countries.

Old 05-26-2019, 01:55 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,143,462 times
Quote:
Mexico is a good example of 1%'rs. Much of the country is poor. I live here and have owned a home here since 2008. Several of the better restaurants in my town are owned by MXN men who went norte, illegally. It was their intent to go there for a few years, save their money and return to MX to start a business. Same with the best contractors here....they went norte, came back after a few years with the capital they could not acquire here. Other business owners, coffee shop, hardware store....that's what they did.

A few others told me then went norte for a few years to save enough money to build homes and/or start a family.

If the US had a better work permit program for jobs Americans do not want to do, and let MXN's come to the US for a finite period without their family, it would be a benefit to BOTH countries.

Yes there are some Mexicans that came to USA for few years and went back however majority of them move here, have children here and have no desire to ever go back. If they would to get work permit they would just stay as they are doing now anyway and would never go back. I don't think you would be okay with them having some kind of chip to track their every move to make sure they do not overstay their visa.

Regarding your second statement, jobs Americans do not want to do. Can you name those jobs? It used to be that McDonald's was staffed by college students, by stay at home mom that never got education and now wants to have part time job. By people that never finished high school etc. Now it's staffed by Hispanic speaking employees. Often time kitchen staff do not speak a word of English etc. The only white or African American employee is the manager. People that clean gyms are exclusively Hispanic speaking(in my experience). Same for lawn service. It used to be that in summer neighborhood kids would cut the lawn, not anymore. Now we have lawn service provided by Hispanics. So I ask, what jobs do Americans not willing to do?

Old 05-26-2019, 09:17 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:

That may have been true a few decades ago but apprehension stats show that in recent years family units have made up 65-70% of illegal entries whereas only 10-15% in the 2000's. For the most part, illegals are no longer coming here to work a bit, save up some money, and return home. They are coming to raise their families here.

Old 05-26-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
That may have been true a few decades ago but apprehension stats show that in recent years family units have made up 65-70% of illegal entries whereas only 10-15% in the 2000's. For the most part, illegals are no longer coming here to work a bit, save up some money, and return home. They are coming to raise their families here.
In recent years the migrants are NOT Mexican, the vast majority are from Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico