Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 09:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,918 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving to mexico for the summer I am not sure yet but would
like to live somewhere on the border, maybe mexicali, or TJ , any advice
of which is the safest place, and where i can find and affordable house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 08:50 AM

334 posts, read 827,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia213 View Post
Thinking of moving to mexico for the summer I am not sure yet but would
like to live somewhere on the border, maybe mexicali, or TJ , any advice
of which is the safest place, and where i can find and affordable house.
Depends on your likes. Mexicali is HOT in the summer and a huge agricultural area. Tijuana has weather about 20 miles better than San Diego and is industrialized, plus it is close to all that So Cal has to offer. Both are large cities, but I would say that Tijuana is more cosmopolitan, and you will find more expats living there (and just south into Rosarito). They are both safer cities than any of the US counterparts -- just use common sense, learn a bit of the laws and traditions, and if you drive, get someone who knows to teach you how to drive in Mexico -- it's different than in the US, and actually more "fun" once you get into the flow of it.

Housing would probably be cheaper in Mexicali (don't know, just a guess) and can be less expensive in Tijuana than along the ocean (for a similar home). Buying or renting? You've got a lot to learn before you can make a safe, or informed, investment in a purchase, but many do it. Renting is a good way to start, giving you time to learn the area, etc. You can find houses for as little as $200 per month up to more than $2,000. A nice home in a Mexican neighborhood can be had for $300 to $500. Want a view, a little more. Want to be on the ocean, add some $$$. Want to be in a Condo tower with full time security staff, add some more $$$. Some of the "Gringo" mobile home type parks cost $3 - 500, and most are along the ocean.

For just the summer, I'd say head for the beach and find a rental that is suitable. Do it soon before prices go up! And enjoy . . .

Old 04-08-2008, 01:06 PM

291 posts, read 647,916 times
Cecilia, if you want to get bored, go Mexicali, if you want fun, then Tijuana is for you, also the weather is better in TJ..

Old 04-09-2008, 08:35 PM

493 posts, read 636,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rosarito View Post
Depends on your likes. Mexicali is HOT in the summer and a huge agricultural area. Tijuana has weather about 20 miles better than San Diego and is industrialized, plus it is close to all that So Cal has to offer. Both are large cities, but I would say that Tijuana is more cosmopolitan, and you will find more expats living there (and just south into Rosarito). They are both safer cities than any of the US counterparts -- just use common sense, learn a bit of the laws and traditions, and if you drive, get someone who knows to teach you how to drive in Mexico -- it's different than in the US, and actually more "fun" once you get into the flow of it.

Housing would probably be cheaper in Mexicali (don't know, just a guess) and can be less expensive in Tijuana than along the ocean (for a similar home). Buying or renting? You've got a lot to learn before you can make a safe, or informed, investment in a purchase, but many do it. Renting is a good way to start, giving you time to learn the area, etc. You can find houses for as little as $200 per month up to more than $2,000. A nice home in a Mexican neighborhood can be had for $300 to $500. Want a view, a little more. Want to be on the ocean, add some $$$. Want to be in a Condo tower with full time security staff, add some more $$$. Some of the "Gringo" mobile home type parks cost $3 - 500, and most are along the ocean.

For just the summer, I'd say head for the beach and find a rental that is suitable. Do it soon before prices go up! And enjoy . . .
Did you say that Tijuana is safer than San Diego? you're funny

Old 04-10-2008, 07:47 AM

529 posts, read 2,393,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitechocolate86 View Post
Did you say that Tijuana is safer than San Diego? you're funny
Yep I was thinking the same thing.. Here's an article from Feb 07:

Crime wears on Tijuana, San Diego - USATODAY.com

A short excerpt:

Quote:
In Operation Tijuana, Mexico's new president, Felipe Calderón, ordered 3,300 federal military police in to take control of the city on Jan. 3, set up roving checkpoints, and in a move that would be unimaginable on the U.S. side, took the service guns away from each of the more than 2,300 municipal officers.
And (as if it should matter), I've visited TJ many times over the past several years and am very familiar with the town.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:10 AM

Well then, familiar with the town or just Revolution and the Red Light district? You should know, but fail to mention that this "crack down" is against the narco traffickers and their "owned cops" and has nothing to do with regular people.

Putting things in perspective, in San Diego in the four months from September through December there were 14 murders, 115 rapes, 347 armed robberies, 423 strong arm robberies, and 1,558 aggravated assaults. Now try to recollect how many of these were the objects of high profile news reports, over and over again – same story rehashed or made into national news? And have there been “travel warnings” advising visitors of the potential dangers of traveling to San Diego?

[SIZE=3]By the way, here are the F.B.I. statistics for crime in San Diego in 2007.
Murder 65
Forcible Rape 406
Robbery 162
Aggravated
Assault 5269
Burglary 8076
Larceny 25,739
Car Theft 12,567
Arson 238[/SIZE]

Sorry about the bold type. I pasted it and couldn't get it to change to regular.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:53 AM

529 posts, read 2,393,554 times
I have family in Tijuana and have stayed there before.. so familiar with the town and not just the tourist side of it.

The source of the crime doesn't matter, in the end it's the same level of violence. The OP asked about the safety level of the city and I'm just trying to provide some facts.

BTW, can you provide a link to the statistics? I'd like to poke around there as well (always good to have knowledge).

Old 04-11-2008, 09:37 AM

I think I got it by Googling "San Diego crime" or something like that, it's government statistics and you can get it for cities all over the country (LA stats are worse, Seattle's are better, except for people killing each other due to depression over all the rain and no sunshine!).

Old 04-11-2008, 11:25 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,134,523 times
I don't think moving to a border town is such a good idea..

Old 04-11-2008, 11:47 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,751,993 times
Mexicali is way safer and a little bit cleaner. There is stuff to do there.

Tijuana is more crime ridden, is filthy, but it is a little bit closer to San Diego..(not if your driving on the line though.)

I would go with rosarito or a beach town south of TJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico