Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2009, 05:02 PM

2 posts, read 14,021 times

Advertisements

Saludos, everyone! I'm trying to gather as much info as I can to decide whether or not to take a job offer I currently have to work in Mexico City. Here's some quick info about me: 35 yr old female, bilingual Eng/Spa, have lived/traveled in South America and Africa, even lived in Sao Paulo, which should be similar in some ways. I've been to Mexico many times, but have not lived there long term.

My office would be in Colonia Juarez and I suppose I could easily enough choose a safe, nearby neighborhood to live in. However, ever other week I'll need to work a day or two at medical centers in different parts of DF, and sometimes visit centers in a variety of other locations in the country (air travel).

Since I already know that I love the country's people/food/culture, my real concern here is safety and quality of life. Will I feel safe moving around the city? Do I need to use a car? Will I feel safe traveling sola outside of DF? Do you guys in DF find your movement very restricted at night??

Gracias in advance,
Stephamina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 08:34 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Lived there three ys.

You will be close to Chapultepec Park which is VERY nice.

Also public transportation by the Metro close by and the mini bus will get you anywhere in the city with some transfering done. Many ride the Metro and take a taxi to and from their job. Living where you have will be no different.

You can also take the Metro (with a small bag allowed) to the airport and walk a few ft into the terminal. The taxis will rip you off...speaking Spanish or not.

Only safe way to go around at night is by car...not even some taxis as they do not all work after 8-9 pm. Never walk around at night as they can steal your purse/Jewelery. A male friend would be needed if anything. There is a lot of evening traffic...people going to the cinema...disco/bars and the like...out for some late night Tacos de Carbon or Tortas. Mostly in groups of 4-6 in a car.

If your going to the airport by taxi they take the Viaducto to the terminal and will always try to charge you more thinking your NOT coming back. Ask the driver for the exact amount (fare) and do not let him point to the meter as that is NOT always the price they quote on arrival at the airport.

One time I paid $20 from the airport to a hotel and only $8.00 on a return trip from a honest driver...I gave him a good tip for being honest.

Buenas Suerte...Stefhan

Old 10-21-2009, 11:13 AM

2 posts, read 14,021 times
Thanks for your response, Steve. I really appreciate your advice. How ago did you stop living in Mexico City?

Assuming that you worked there during your three year stay, do you mind telling me if you were paid in Mexican pesos? If so, did you find that to be at all problematic in terms of maintaining savings in the States (ie in the currency conversion)?

Thanks again!
Stephamina

Old 10-21-2009, 12:01 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
No...did not work. Had sold my business and was semi-retired and had just got married to a Mexican wife.

Any money earned (legal or otherwise) would be strictly in Pesos.

I did have a source to exchange dollars for Pesos when needed without going to a Cambio.

There are many Cambios that will exchange currency for you. I found that the airport was the best exchange rate at that time. Simply jump on the Metro...transfer inside to any Linea... to the airport and return the same way...very very cheap way.

Generally Pesos will be the main currency used. Imagine your working (legally) will pay you via check since it will be with a hospital. Cannot see them having that much cash on hand.

Did live there 20 yrs ago but have returned since then for a visit...nothing has changed much except for the road improvements.

The area your contemplating is close by the Periferico Norte/Sur that has excellent bus system next to it in addition to the Metro close by. I loved the Metro for quick cheap transportation...just never at night.

Being American I dressed accordingly and stood out in appearance. Would carry a jacket/camera or whatever in a Grocery bag held by hand and at times would catch a person looking me over...is this a person living here or a tourist look?. Many thieves on the Metro.

Not sure about today but back then a person renting had to pay 6 months in advance. Reason was that it would take that much time to legally evict someone from a residence. Very difficult to evict once they are in a house or apt. A friends mother went thru this procedure and paid for a place for the family to stay. They in turn returned breaking the lock and moving back inside the place. Poor people have too many rights.

Could go on with other stories...you more then likely have seen them also in your travels.

Steve

Old 10-21-2009, 02:00 PM

972 posts, read 3,924,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephamina View Post
Saludos, everyone! I'm trying to gather as much info as I can to decide whether or not to take a job offer I currently have to work in Mexico City. Here's some quick info about me: 35 yr old female, bilingual Eng/Spa, have lived/traveled in South America and Africa, even lived in Sao Paulo, which should be similar in some ways. I've been to Mexico many times, but have not lived there long term.

My office would be in Colonia Juarez and I suppose I could easily enough choose a safe, nearby neighborhood to live in. However, ever other week I'll need to work a day or two at medical centers in different parts of DF, and sometimes visit centers in a variety of other locations in the country (air travel).

Since I already know that I love the country's people/food/culture, my real concern here is safety and quality of life. Will I feel safe moving around the city? Do I need to use a car? Will I feel safe traveling sola outside of DF? Do you guys in DF find your movement very restricted at night??

Gracias in advance,
Stephamina

For what you say, you will have a well-paid executive job.

mexico city is one of the most unsafe in the world and very violent, but I think you already know from before accepting the position.

I would advise you to talk with other executives of your business that are live or lived in Mexico City to share your experiences with you.

Although it is easy to use public transportation in the city of mexico, I would recommend that you used car, driving in mexico city is easy once you get used to and more comfortable.

I haven´t lived in mexico city but many times I've gone on a business trip.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:35 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,434,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
For what you say, you will have a well-paid executive job.

mexico city is one of the most unsafe in the world and very violent, but I think you already know from before accepting the position.
Mexico city has been my home for 31 years, and while it's true that it's unsafe and violent, you shouldn't feel scared, just be careful. I've lived here my entire life and nothing has happened so far

Old 10-21-2009, 06:59 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Is Mexico City really that unsafe and violent? I mean I've always heard that the city does have a bad reputation and that there are parts of the city that are dangerous. But on the visits I've made to the city, I experienced no problems what so ever walking around at night, taking the metro around the city, riding in taxis, etc. Granted I've mainly stuck to the Zona Historico, Alameda, Condesa, Roma, or Polanco neighborhoods mostly. And I also look fairly average--I'm young and have darker complexion, so I blend in fairly easily--and I don't look very much like a rich foreigner. But I mean how common are muggings, theft, or other violence if you're careful in the city? I've travelled all over the world and it's very easy to prevent pickpocketing on a crowded train if you're just careful. But as far as street robberies, are these commonplace all over the city? Because maybe I was just lucky but I never felt more threatened in Mexico City than I'd be in a lot of American cities...and a lot less than in a few other big cities in Latin America.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:52 PM

758 posts, read 2,240,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Mexico city has been my home for 31 years, and while it's true that it's unsafe and violent, you shouldn't feel scared, just be careful. I've lived here my entire life and nothing has happened so far

You have a lot of life left, just wait!

Steph... just be careful. Don't flaunt your wealth, but at the same time u don't have to dress like a homeless. Crime is a problem but follow the locals and ull be ok. Mexico City has other annoyances BESIDES safety. For example:

TRAFFIC. You will be living commuting. It's a huge city, and you say that you will be going to other parts of D.F. If you're not comfortable on metro, you will be spending a lot of your time in traffic... but you're probably used to that living in Sao Paolo. Being a national capital, there are always protests and traffic sometimes gets backed up and you'll be sitting in traffic for hours.

SHOPPING SUCKS. Legitimate chain stores charge an arm and a leg for clothes. Electronics also. Taxes are ridiculous. "CHILANGOS" regularly go to Brownsville or the Rio Grande Valley in the states to buy commodities that would be twice that in the city.

POLLUTION: During the rainy season (aug, sep, oct) it's BEATIFUL. but during the winter it's unbearable.

THEFT: It's not being robbed at the metro or by assualt. It's being robbed by your boss for those extra hours you worked and didn't get paid. Your landlord will squeeze a couple extra pesos to your utilities. The taxi driver will take an extra long route to run the meter. It's a mentality of thievery in D.F. for some reason.

There are many positives: culture, weather, metro area amenities, etc. I go there every year, but I have been robbed, assaulted, scammed, etc.(Guess I have bad luck?)

As far as money exchange: A friend of mine that works at a major corporation in D.F. gets paid in pesos, but has an account in the cayman islands in USD. He's saved a significant amount of money this past year safeguarding against devaluation.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:40 AM

69 posts, read 333,427 times
well i have never lived in mexico city but i would often visit my aunts and family there when i was young with my mother.

the things i do remember about it is hours in traffic, sometimes 2-3 to go just a few blocks! we were trying to get back to my aunt's house before it got dark but would often fail to make it there before it got dark because of the traffic!

i also remember that one of the times we went it rained daily around 5ish....

i remember being a little lost on the metro quite a few times, not knowing the area

and the big one... well we took the bus, it was my mother, her friend and I. i remember talking to my mom and looking out the window when all of a sudden we hear a voice saying "what are you waiting for? take off all your jewelery, give me your money.." and as i turn around my mother had a gun right to her head i look up and see everyone giving up all their stuff and another guy with a gun in the front of the bus. so we were robbed...

oh, i have also found that the best exchange rates are at the airport
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico