Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 10:54 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,373,595 times

Advertisements

I haven't traveled in Mexico in more than 20 years but may be driving through parts of it in the near future especially down the west coast to the Guadalajara area. I have read the Mexican highway system has greatly improved in recent years. It was pretty poor compared to the U.S. when I was there in the 80s. Is it up to a better standard for road trips now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 11:26 AM

5,761 posts, read 11,365,702 times
Most of the major highways in Mexico running between the primary border crossing cities and the large cities in central Mexico are very good. Most of these newer highways are multilane divided highways with limited access exits, similar to US interstate highways. Most are toll roads, and they are rather expensive but provide a smooth and safe route with very little traffic.

If going to Guadalajara, drive to Tucson and then Nogales, AZ, 1 day drive from southern Calif. Cross border at Nogales the following day and head south to Hermosillo on Mex19 to Mex15. Continue south on Mex15 past Guaymas, Los Mochis, Guasave and Culiacán till reaching Mazatlán. A one day drive from Nogales to Mazatlán would be really long, and in the summer it would be brutally hot. From Mazatlán to Tepíc the multilane toll road goes back to a regular two or four lane highway in many places. From Tepíc you can make a side trip to San Blas, a tropical coastal village, or take a bigger side trip to Puerto Vallarta. But either way, the good scenery starts south of Mazatlán and makes for an interesting trip to Guadalajara.

If you decide for a different route home, suggest going via Aguascalientes, Zacatecas, Durango (side trip) and Chihuahua to the border crossing at El Paso.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:30 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,924,573 times
Make sure you have plenty of Mexican PESOS to pay for the QUOTOS (toll roads) and keep a full tank of gas before entering same as there no guarantee of finding some PEMEX (gas) stations open while in the middle of one. They are building many so to be on the safe side, never go below 1/4 of a tank and use MAGNA (87) octane (green pump) as premium is high. 20 yrs ago gas was the same price all over Mexico, today they charge differently and stations will vary in price. Highways are fine and NO problem at all. Make sure you have a good spare and not one of those NEW style 50 mile emergency tires. Find an extra rim with a good tire on it from a wrecking yard and use as a spare. You will pay a high price for a replacement tire if you have a need for one. I travelled your route many times 20 yrs ago to Mexico City and lived there 3 yrs and now in Baja 12 yrs. Enjoy your trip. Stefhen

Old 05-28-2008, 06:13 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,306,022 times
I found the highways in BCS to be as good or better than the roads in my own county (we kind of live in a third world county) The roads were undergoing some major reconstruction too.

Excellent advice about keeping the tank full however, I wont make that mistake again, 2 Pemex stations in a row were out of gas!

Old 09-08-2008, 02:35 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,044,440 times
The highways are very safe and good quality. The problem is that they are very expensive. Be prepared to pay a toll every 100 meters. lol...

Old 09-08-2008, 07:35 AM

291 posts, read 648,104 times
Toll every 100 meters? That´s a lie, the price of the toll roads is fair for the safety of the highways and the time saved...

They also acept credit cards and dollars...

Old 09-08-2008, 09:59 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,267,441 times
My parents used to travel the road from Ciudad Juarez all the way down to Mexico City. That was over 30 year ago, and I recall it was a two lane highway for the most part. I'm guessing it's at least four lanes, divided highway now from Ciudad Juarez to Chihuahua and beyond?

Old 09-08-2008, 10:39 AM

291 posts, read 648,104 times
Depends of the route you take, from Juarez to Durango or Torreon is 4 lines toll-road..

Old 09-08-2008, 10:50 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,267,441 times
Yes, I think we went Juarez to Durango. Then Durango to DF, then DF to Acapulco. I've heard about the new toll road to Acapulco; we used to take the old road, or only road then I guess, and I really loved that road, all the winding turns through the mountains, and small towns. My parents probably did not like it though. I recall a lot of bus accidents on the road from DF to Acapulco.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:21 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,191,145 times
The toll road from Guadalajara to Vallarta is excellent and filled with gorgeous mountain scenery - including a volcano, glimpses of pretty villages and steep, lush mountainsides filled with agave plants. The last stretch of road as you climb down to the coast - about 1 1/2 to 2 hours worth - is horribly winding and very narrow - quite scary in places. We are so hopeful they'll build a new and safer last leg soon (there's been talk for years that they plan to). But then not long after you pass the town of Sayulita, the excitement builds as you go into the final stretch ending with that first breathtaking view of Banderas Bay.. It always takes my breath away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico