Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How gay/gay-friendly is Monterrey?
Extremely gay/gay-friendly (Overtly visible--Montegay is an understatement!) 3 12.00%
There are quite a few gays/gay establishments (Higly Visible) 2 8.00%
Average amount of gay/gay-friendly places (Visible) 8 32.00%
It's a little gay/gay-friendly (Slightly visible) 4 16.00%
Anti-gay/Not gay at all (Not visible at all) 8 32.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 08:59 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,000 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend is from Monterrey, Mexico and I plan on going on a trip there to visit. He tells me that Monterrey is so gay-friendly that some call it "Montegay"! What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 08:34 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,266,413 times
Default The silence is deafening.

That is your answer.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:00 AM

291 posts, read 648,011 times
It's a little gay/gay-friendly (Slightly visible)

I think Monterrey has a gay community as any 4,000,000 inhabitants city.
There is a double moral in the city, so you now there´s gay people, but they preffer to have a low profile.

Hope this helps.

Regards!

Old 08-24-2008, 10:39 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,882,619 times
there are several gay bars. Monty is a gay friendly city and as in any big city, you have to be careful and use common sense. Most hotels have gay guides to find the gay clubs.
"Parking" is the best club I have ever been to in the whole world....so far. check it out.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:08 AM

38 posts, read 185,044 times
It is a modern city and haz nice turist areas like: Cola de Caballo, Grutas de Garcia, Cavazos, etc...!

Old 09-02-2008, 10:41 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,752,210 times
Mexico in general, at least the bigger cities, are pretty tolerant of the gay community.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:24 PM

1 posts, read 22,539 times
Default gay area? gay friendly hotels / gay hotels

is there a gay area in monterrey? any gay friendly hotels / gay hotels in monterrey near the gay area? thanks a million ...!

Old 10-04-2008, 01:46 AM

1 posts, read 22,457 times
Default bad news

Sorry to break this to you guys, but being gay in monterrey sucks. I am an American living here, and I haven't seen anywhere like this in my whole life. I've traveled around a lot, and comparatively MTY has a huge closeted gay community. Most gay men here are so secretive and defensive when it comes to their sexuality that it gets ridiculous. Most guys almost take it to the point of self-hate. It's weird.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:40 PM

972 posts, read 3,925,024 times
being gay anywhere in latinamerica sucks, the people is very conservative ergo the gays live with fear...

Old 12-07-2009, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 19,435 times
""Parking" is the best club I have ever been to in the whole world....so far. check it out."

For Monterrey standards, its uhmm so so / ok. In the whole world???? Seriously.. hahaha where in the world have you been?

As the American guy said... yep Monterrey is an extremely close-minded society, if not the most! While there are a couple of really fun (biased of course) nightclubs, everything is low profile. As of dec 2009.. check out Casa de Lola, Baby Shower (formerly taboo) and Parking.

So here's my review about them:

Parking: When you get in you get this sort of underground garage vibe; they play really good electro house in the ground floor, and upstairs is the ***** pop music at its best. Although different than baby shower, this is the typical gay club where there would not be straight girls having fun cause it's idk, intense, maybe?. Middle-to-low class people. If you are a foreigner, and by foreigner I mean probably a gringo, prepare to get stared at.

Baby Shower: Mixed crowd, the typical big gay dance club, people from all ages and all socieconomic backgrounds, however concentrated on the middle--middle/upper class range. Some Gogo dancers. It just opened like 6 months ago and it has been a total success.

Casa de Lola: this is what I will call a gay straight club, no gogo dancers, maybe some drag shows late during the night, but the vibe is that of a straight club, except for gays, it's wierd. People might criticize it cause its full of "posers" but depends on what scene you like... this one is sort of like the trendy scene.. where people do take into account what you are wearing. On Friday they open just half the club (it's big enough, don't worry) and on saturday they open the whole thing and there's a live band. Right now I'm in Europe so I don't know if it's still good after the sucess of Baby Shower.

We regios, when one club is hot, like to go the same place every single weekend (including straight clubs), this is why there are not many options; besides, monterrey has a demanding and weird clientele.

If by any chance, you are also into str8 clubs, check out Classico, George, Privatt or Havana. Bar-Rio is extremely good too, but idk if it's reopened yet. Don't expect any open gay gays in those clubs though.

Back in the good'al days of Havana, this place used to be known as the perfect club for closeted gays. Again, everyone low profile, but it was really easy to get to know others! Right now it has lost its whole sense, but u can try...

****... can't wait to get back!

uhm... so Montegay is not gay at all; Mexico's considered a macho country, and Monterrey considered the macho city of Mexico. People from the capital or further south are considered warmer. That's why guadalajara can appropriately be called the gay city of mexico. But still, I think you'll love it!

Beware of kidnappers though!! haha just kidding,,,, wait not really.

**Im sure some will disagree with me but this is all based in my own experience, I live in San Pedro and for your surprise, I'm open, I know that's rare, but it's been quite a challenge and people do respect me for that.
*** I know, it's obvious that I have nothing to do (procrastinating for my finals)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico