Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 12:56 AM

983 posts, read 3,599,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
If any non-Hispanic white is Anglo..then we truly have a meaningless way of labeling people and might as well throw it in la basura!

Anglo = whose ancestry originates wholly or partly in England.

So if an Italian is living in AZ then they are considered Anglo? What about a Russian, are they anglo too?
The ways we label people are in most of the cases rather abritrary. They differ from one country to another, developing along the historical circumstances of the country. For example the Black-Latino-White-Asian classification very common in the US is foreign even to Canadians.
When you say "Asian", an average American, Canadian, and Englishman would each have a different picture in head.
The same with "Black", "Latino", "White", and a bunch of other labels.

Btw, this discussion about "Anglo" reminds me of a similar one regarding "Latino". some people argue that Romanians are also Latino, but we all know that's not the way it is used in the US. And accusing the bulk of Americans wrong because they don't consider Romanians to be Latinos would rather be an insensate thing to do.
Then there's the objection that US citizens call themselves and are called "Americans" when in fact Argentinians are also "Americans", etc. etc. The list of examples is exhaustive.

Saludos

Last edited by Neutre; 12-06-2008 at 01:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 01:39 AM

956 posts, read 3,002,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
antialphabet is correct: here in Arizona any non Hispanic White is an Anglo.

I definitely qualify despite my father being from Hungary. In fact: I have a friend too of Hungarian lineage who is obviously Mestizo due to her probable Gypsy/Roma* facial features but is also counted as 100% White/Anglo here.

*Most Roma are indeed of strong East Indian heritage according to DNA testing.
Whoa whoa whoa -- Mestizo Roma? The Roma are Indian, so how can they also be Mestizo, as Mestizo is defined as being partly of Meso-American ancestry?

Old 12-06-2008, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Anglo = whose ancestry originates wholly or partly in England.

So if an Italian is living in AZ then they are considered Anglo? What about a Russian, are they anglo too?

Maybe we should just drop the stupid labels all together, pretty soon we will all be so mixed we won't know what we are.

Mutts will rule the world.
Actually, Anglo is British, so the Scots and Welsh are Anglo too.

Regarding Italians, if you're a light skinned Italian with straight hair, you're a Lombard. The Lombards are a Germanic people, and hence you're a Saxon, and therefore can fall under the Anglo-Saxon umbrella if you're also of British or Northern Irish lineage and you look like an indigenous North Western European.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And more and more -- Chinese ethnic, Indian (Hindu) ethnic and so on. I've known immigrants from England that on the surface LOOK like they would have come from India but have the classic British accent because they were born and raised in England.
In Britain they're called "Britishers", but not British because they're really just guests there.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:40 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,144,684 times
In New Mexico, I noticed some people refer to most non-hispanic white people as Anglos or gringos, except possibly Italians and Portuguese (European Latin). Generally, people with a North or Western European heritage. It's not used very much that I saw, and mostly in a joking way.

If that seems stupid, the term Hispanic is worse. The word Hispanic is used to lump together people from a wide variety of ethnicities and cultures just because they happen to speak Spanish and their country was once a colony of Spain. By that usage, it would not be inaccurate to use Anglo to lump together all English speaking people, regardless of race or culture, whose country was once a British colony. Make sense? No it doesn't, which is why Hispanic is a stupid term also. It robs individuals of their unique heritage, ethnic identity, and culture.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:45 AM

983 posts, read 3,599,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
In New Mexico, I noticed some people refer to most non-hispanic white people as Anglos or gringos, except possibly Italians and Portuguese (European Latin). Generally, people with a North or Western European heritage. It's not used very much that I saw, and mostly in a joking way.

If that seems stupid, the term Hispanic is worse. The word Hispanic is used to lump together people from a wide variety of ethnicities and cultures just because they happen to speak Spanish and their country was once a colony of Spain. By that usage, it would not be inaccurate to use Anglo to lump together all English speaking people, regardless of race or culture, whose country was once a British colony. Make sense? No it doesn't, which is why Hispanic is a stupid term also. It robs individuals of their unique heritage, ethnic identity, and culture.
See post #81 above.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:19 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And more and more -- Chinese ethnic, Indian (Hindu) ethnic and so on. I've known immigrants from England that on the surface LOOK like they would have come from India but have the classic British accent because they were born and raised in England.
I was talking about the historical bloodline of Britain which was from 800 a.d. back to Ceasar and back farther to the ancient celts (britons, scots, welsh etc). Also not all germans are saxons as some on here have suggested as the saxons just one of many west germanic peoples and i haven't even mentioned the north germanics or the eastern germanics tribes. Anglo or angle is germanic for those still confused.

I wonder how many know that there are numerous germanic words in spanish as the visigoths, franks and lombards all lived in or around spain after the fall of the western roman empire.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:55 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,755 times
Quote:
That's what I think. The labels get less and less meaningful because for example Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead is not usually thought of as "hispanic", no one saw him as a hispanic singer. I'm not sure if he spoke Spanish or not, as far as I know he only sang in English
Jerry Garcia was not of 100% Spanish ancestry, he was also mixed with Swedish and Irish. The fact that he had a European appearence and not a Brown appearence and plus the fact that he spoke English with a White American accent and not a Chicano straight out of the barrio accent like Cheech Marin for example sounds like when he speaks English, is the reason why most Americans just saw him a straight up White boy and not a Hispanic person of color.

Even Nndb has Jerry Garcia listed as White under race or ethnicity
Jerry Garcia

And they do not do that for most celebrities with Spanish last names. Most celebrities with Spanish last names are labeled as Hispanic under race or ethnicity, not White. Jerry Garcia is one of the few exceptions to that rule.

Last edited by Jeff Jarrett; 12-08-2008 at 06:14 PM..

Old 12-08-2008, 07:20 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Jerry Garcia was not of 100% Spanish ancestry, he was also mixed with Swedish and Irish. The fact that he had a European appearence and not a Brown appearence and plus the fact that he spoke English with a White American accent and not a Chicano straight out of the barrio accent like Cheech Marin for example sounds like when he speaks English, is the reason why most Americans just saw him a straight up White boy and not a Hispanic person of color.

Even Nndb has Jerry Garcia listed as White under race or ethnicity
Jerry Garcia

And they do not do that for most celebrities with Spanish last names. Most celebrities with Spanish last names are labeled as Hispanic under race or ethnicity, not White. Jerry Garcia is one of the few exceptions to that rule.

Emilio Estevez

Emilio Estevez is also listed as "white".

Martin Sheen

Same goes for Ramon Estevez aka Martin Sheen.

Enrique Iglesias

Yet Enrique Iglesias is "hispanic" even though he's half Spanish just like Martin Sheen is half Spanish.

Jessica Alba

Jessica Alba gets to be white even though she looks more "hispanic" than many "hispanics and has the name for it.

Christina Aguilera

Christina Aguilera half Ecuadoran is white.

Bill Richardson

Yet William Blaine Richardson who is also half white gets to be "hispanic".

Noelle Bush
Jebby Bush

Jeb's kids although as much Mexican as the hispanic Bill Richardon are whites.

Yvette Mimieux

Yvette Mimeaux who looks quite white is "multi-racial" -- neither white nor hispanic.

Tito Ortiz

Tito Ortiz is white.

It looks pretty arbitrary.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:41 AM

972 posts, read 3,925,891 times
Enrique Iglesias is from Spain, both parents are from Spain....so he´s spaniard...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico