Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2009, 08:47 AM

82 posts, read 394,408 times

Advertisements

Are there any comparisons between these two coastal towns? I've heard a lot of hype about Playa del Carmen and wonder if it's worth visiting. I'm familiar with the Caribbean side and love the calm waters. I've visited Sayulita on the Pacific near Puerta Vallarta and consider it a near perfect vacation spot but wasn't crazy about the water but loved the town. I'm wondering how Playa del Carmen compares...in terms of the town, the vibe, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 05:55 PM

18,387 posts, read 19,012,572 times
I loved playa del carmen! a great little town. I have not been to the other town you mentioned but playa had a great vibe, with lots to do. it has grown quite a bit so it isn't a sleeply little town but still quite nice. there is a playa forum called playa.info.com and tripadvisor.com has lots of info too.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:32 AM

1 posts, read 6,271 times
Hola Flatlander, I'm an American living in Playa del Carmen and I've visited Sayulita. I loved the vibe in Sayulita, but much prefer our beaches in Playa and along the Riviera Maya. Our beaches are more Caribbean -- calm, turquoise waters and white sand that never gets hot on your feet!

Playa is a bit more developed and larger than Sayulita. But it still has that hip and laid-back vibe. It also has a more cosmopolitan feel. Sayulita seemed to me to be mostly Mexican and Canadian. Playa has influences from all over world, particularly Argentina and Italy (in addition to Mexico & the U.S.).

You may also want to look into Akumal and Tulum, two smaller towns south of Playa del Carmen. Hope this helps!

Old 05-26-2009, 01:35 PM

82 posts, read 394,408 times
Hola y gracias libbyb, it's nice to hear from someone who has been to both towns. Yes, you're right, lots of Canadians and Mexicans in Sayulita. I love that the town has retained so many natives and that it still feels so authentically Mexican. Would you say that Playa still has a lot of Mexicans living there? We're not only thinking of vacationing but maybe an extended stay and we both love to practice our Spanish. Is Playa mostly English speaking folks?

PS: how do you like living there?

Old 03-21-2010, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 5,431 times
i have been living in sayulita for the past 5 years,im from austin texas,ive had my own art gallery here for the past 4 years,my cleintes are all candian or american,i am looking into moving me and my gallery to playa del carman,because i need a longer high season,here ,its janunary,until may,,then the town shuts down,and so does my gallery,4 months of clientes,is enough to sustain me,i have full bills year round,id love to have 8 months of "high season" the cost of living there? i have no clue
here in sayulita,i have a gallery i pay 500 a month,but im only using it 4 months
,so do the math
and i am renting a small run down house,i have fixed up,to live in and i also have a nice back yard space to do my metal art,welding and such,my website is , [url=http://www.clay-brom.com]intropage2[/url], any suggestions?

Old 04-24-2016, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,947 times
Can americans work in playa del carmen without a huge visa problem. Planning on having a home built in El Cielio residential area. Any info would be great. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico