Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 10:10 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
No. But what I have seen is that the more Indian blood one has in Mexico the more Mexican they feel. They tend to be the most patriotic of the entire group. I don’t think Indians living on US reservation feel the same way, in fact from what I have seen in N. Mexico, the Indians there are bitter towards the Puritan’s descendants.
I have definitely not seen that. Actually the Indians of the USA tend to be quite patriotic, Check out their rate of military service, many people with native American blood serve their country, die for it.

I've never met an unpatriotic American Indian - because like most blacks, the history of slavery or reservations doesn't take away their love of their country. Even if they aren't fond of whites, they could still love their country, just like whites who aren't fond of blacks might see themselves as quite patriotic.

I'm not sure how Mexican Indians feel -- but it seems to be mostly mestizos not Indians who are abandoning Mexico for the USA.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:15 PM

124 posts, read 269,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
has the spanish government ever apologized for colonizing mexico?
"....1992 King Juan Carlos (from Spain) express regret for injuries commited against the indegenous residents of the western hemisphere...."
as we all know the western hemisphere is what was concider the "New World" back during those days, North, Central and South America.
I believe that racism is treated very different in latin american countries, mainly because during the colonization, although spaniards raped and abused the indians, they allowed the natives to incorporate into society at various levels, while the north american colonizers (British) were about keeping their race pure and clean and segregated the natives into little camps (reservations=concentration camp) if they were too many to kill, IMO that is the main reason of the deep rooted racism in the USA.
One thing is for sure you will not find more hospitable and friendly people than in the latin countries.

In the spirit of adventure and discovery I do not see the need of a country or government to apologize for colonizing another territory, it seems to me that you are confusing the fact of apologizing for the atrocities they did during those days in the colonies, I think those are two different things.

Last edited by pejerey; 07-29-2009 at 11:25 PM..

Old 07-30-2009, 08:03 AM

492 posts, read 1,150,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I have definitely not seen that. Actually the Indians of the USA tend to be quite patriotic, Check out their rate of military service, many people with native American blood serve their country, die for it.

I'm not sure how Mexican Indians feel -- but it seems to be mostly mestizos not Indians who are abandoning Mexico for the USA.
I don't know whether the Indians in the USA are patriotic or not. The very few Indians (total of 2 in 15 years) I actually met while in the military; they tended to be very removed and shy. Maybe because they were not allowed to integrate into the mainstream and made feel that they are like everyone else instead of some "noble savage" whatever that means.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:53 AM

Military Contributions of Native Americans

Native American or American Indian military service is at a higher rate than all other ethnic groups. They may be shy -- I don't know how shy they are but they are a patriotic group of people in general.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:34 PM

492 posts, read 1,150,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerey View Post
"....1992 King Juan Carlos (from Spain) express regret for injuries commited against the indegenous residents of the western hemisphere...."
as we all know the western hemisphere is what was concider the "New World" back during those days, North, Central and South America.
I believe that racism is treated very different in latin american countries, mainly because during the colonization, although spaniards raped and abused the indians, they allowed the natives to incorporate into society at various levels, while the north american colonizers (British) were about keeping their race pure and clean and segregated the natives into little camps (reservations=concentration camp) if they were too many to kill, IMO that is the main reason of the deep rooted racism in the USA.
One thing is for sure you will not find more hospitable and friendly people than in the latin countries..
I agree with you fully. The problem in the US is the lack of integration and incorporation of people of varied races into the mainstream. One doesn't have to look very far. The Protestant churches are segregated to the max compared with the Catholics where the church played an important role in unifying people of various cultures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerey View Post
"....In the spirit of adventure and discovery I do not see the need of a country or government to apologize for colonizing another territory, it seems to me that you are confusing the fact of apologizing for the atrocities they did during those days in the colonies, I think those are two different things.
If one looks into the 14th hundred's way of life, one will find that societies of the period were very violent. City states such as Florence would get up one day and completely destroy a rival city like Siena. Women, children, and the elders were not spared. In the Americas rival Indian tribes would also wipe each other out.
I guess everyone would have to apologize to each other then.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:39 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,288,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
LOL this made me laugh, Mexicas were a much more organized society than the spaniards that came to this land, although they were tyrants and just met their Karma, before spaniards came, Mexicas ruled all the valley of Mexico and beyond with an iron fist, they were a very strict and rigid caste society, where Priest, then warriors and then common people had their place in society and it was like this no chance to go up or down, they conquered all the neighboring tribes by their fearless and formidable army and took tribute from them on a regular basis, yet they always built 2 temples in their city, the temple for their gods and the temple for gods of conquered tribes, fascinating huh?

Any Mexican would feel at home at spain, I believe that because of the Influence of the USA we are a bit less unruly, for example in Coyoacan nobody goes to the beautiful gardens that have a labyrynth pattern everybody respects them, but in pain you could see people in the gardens around Madrid jumping the fence and laying down in the grass, police was there just minding their own, I loved that!!! Spain is a very relaxed laidback country, I loved that when I got to the airport to the immigration check the officer asked me, where are you going? and I told him honestly I don't know and he laughed and said I see, so you are a wanderer huh? well enjoy your time in spain!

In india they were much more strict curiously enough, people who didn't put an adress in the migratory form were kindly told to write it and get back in line, poor of them after such a long wait!

But that's weird because India is pure chaos, nothing makes sense here it's amazing, I was in a taxi and he took the wrong direction, when he found out he just made a U turn in the wrong way!!! just like that and continued like if it was perfectly ok, you can't imagine the amount of laughs I've had here in this crazy but beautiful, amazing and lovely country, people have a heart of gold! and that's India's most valuable posession together with their timeless spirituality
What Spain are you talking about? I lived and worked in Madrid and traveled extensively through Catalonia. The behavior you speak of is looked down upon.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:32 PM

I had the opportunity to live in Spain during the last couple of years of "El Caudillo" Francisco Franco's government, during those days nobody and I mean no one will even spit in the dirt, people was afraid of the consecuences, very harsh!! then after Franco's death Spain went from freedom to libertinage and the caos was amazing, it took a few years for the whole country to realize what was going on, remmember Franco was in power for over 40 years and spaniards were used to be oppressed by this guy an a**hole but you were able to walk in the streets at 3 am with roll of a million dollars in your hand and nobody will even try to look at you, after his death after 10 pm people was afraid to walk alone.
So, after a few years many things change some freedoms were given, as for example the police was not as strict in a sense, many things were over looked, however those things or minor incidents were not crimes maybe misdeminors, I personally had to pay a fine for not paying the underground fee, I was in college and beer money was more important and at that time I already drunk all my money and was far from home (1979 the fine was $500 pesetas back then aprox. $50 us dollars)
One thing is for sure, if anybody was caught tresspasing the garden areas in monuments, parks or buildings with signs, they were run out very fast no questions asked, like in most of Europe during summer month they will allow people to get in the fountains but no vandalism.
I am sure things have change since I left Spain back in 1982 and for sure it is very different the perception one gets of a country while visiting as a tourist for a few days than someone living their for a few years.
I miss the food!!!! and the bars very different than US bars, plus at least 3 in each block, nice!!!

Old 07-30-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
If one looks into the 14th hundred's way of life, one will find that societies of the period were very violent. City states such as Florence would get up one day and completely destroy a rival city like Siena. Women, children, and the elders were not spared. In the Americas rival Indian tribes would also wipe each other out.
I guess everyone would have to apologize to each other then.
Any society from the very beginning shows how brutal and violent they were (romans, chinese, etc), from my end I can speak for the inkas or some of the other societies from Peru were fighting and conquering others was the way of life. the inka empire (4000 yrs ago at least) grew so big because they were conquerers however instead of oppressing the new society/culture they took over, they made sure that their knowledge (from new culture/society) was past to others thruoghout the empire and that helped them be as strong as they were, but they were bloody too, although they will not kill everybody!!!
Some how this brings to mind the movie by Mel Gibson about the Aztecs or Mayans, very true to the real thing!!! awesome movie, you will understand everything they say even though the language they speak is unknown, at least to me.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:20 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,437,580 times
Something that I'm finding amazing from Spain is 2 things.

1 there is corruption here too, not as generalized in Mexico, but just like in our country there is an underground economy, in Mexico it works different, because here in spain most of those who sell beer in the streets, or piracy are immigrants, if the police see some people from africa or china or india with a bag they will likely go and retrieve the cans of beers from them as it is illegal to sell beer in the streets, but with 20 euros everything can be solved

2 Law here is very liberal, if a robbery is commited, the criminals have 48 to regret and return the goods, even if it's a car what was stolen, if they do this before the time runs out they can go free with no charges, but if the time passes then all the weight of the law will fall on them.

I'm loving spain, loving every minute of it, I feel at home here, and I always tell my spanish friends that they should go to Mexico and feel in the same way hehe, regards!

Old 08-01-2009, 08:26 AM

I've known three different Americans (not related or connected to each other) who traveled to Spain and were hooked. They said there's something there that made them want to live there forever, so now they live over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico