Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 10:18 AM

549 posts, read 722,327 times

Advertisements

The OP does bring up some points of interest. Just when I was about to make an uniformed decision about East St Louis or Queretaro.

I think I've made up my mind. Thanks OP.

[sarcasm/off]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 07:23 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,547,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLioness View Post
I agree. The law enforcement is almost non-existant in Mexico. This is a fact, not a fear hype.
Mexico is a large country. While corruption is widely documented among the police in Mexico, it is a long way from being non-existent. There are over a million citizens of the USA who live in Mexico taking advantage of the culture, the weather, and the lower cost of living. That is a fact!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorChip View Post
According to statistics some cities in Mexico are much safer than other cities in the United States, but that is not going to convince you, so better stay in your home country and leave others to do what they want with their life.
Detroit
New Orleans
St. Louis
Baltimore
Newark
Oakland
Stockton

All are cities of 250K or more that have higher murder rates than Mexico

After several years of falling homicides, Tijuana (population 1.7 million) experienced a 48 percent increase in homicides in 2013 as compared to 2012
Tijuana (2013: 492, 2012: 332).
Philadelphia (2013: 331, 2012: 247) population 1.55 million
So Philadelphia 2013 same as Tijuana in 2012. While both cities are subject to too much violence, I would never go on a rant about not setting foot in Philadelphia for a million dollars. I always liked TJ.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 06-05-2015 at 08:37 PM..

Old 06-05-2015, 08:32 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,754,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorChip View Post
According to statistics some cities in Mexico are much safer than other cities in the United States,
Agreed....

Old 06-05-2015, 08:50 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,754,801 times
Quote:
Those who travel frequently to Mexico or moved there permanently... aren't yall afraid of ending up in a body bag? I would never step a foot in Mexico, not even for a million dollars.
Then Roll your eyes and sit at home...

I have not traveled to Mexico recently. Last major trip for me was driving from Tucson, Arizona to Mexico City, Mexico in 1984. Two of us did the trip in five days, about 1,500 miles. Then flew From Mexico City to Frankfurt. The other three people continued on to Panama...

I had some short trips to Mexico in the 90's and early 2000 with some friends who live in the Albuquerque area and went down to Chihuahua, Mexico. About 500 miles one way.

So what's your point?

Old 06-05-2015, 08:51 PM

325 posts, read 255,443 times
Quote:
It really makes me wonder why would anyone move to Mexico from the US or even go on a vacation there?
You should probably worry more about all the Mexicans moving to America that will likely displace your relatively under-educated children's and grandchildren's ability to get paid for their (minimal) contributions to the American economy. Somehow I imagine you already do, however. At least we know what half of the country will not get passports and owe the other half money for the rest of their lives - your half.

Old 06-13-2015, 03:40 PM

5 posts, read 6,082 times
lol Touche Pac.

Miss Lionness... could you verify that you even own a passport. Or do you just indulge in the Travel Channel when you're not trolling sites?

Old 06-13-2015, 10:12 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Quote:

Those who travel frequently to Mexico or moved there permanently... aren't yall afraid of ending up in a body bag? I would never step a foot in Mexico, not even for a million dollars.
I've been to 130 countries, some you've never heard of, and some you don't want to hear of. Mexico about average among them. I've never been afraid for my safety in any of them. Of course, I've never come to harm in any of them, either. Petty theft of some things of little value in India and Colombia. Well, I say never, but I accidentally wandered into the wrong part of Nairobi one night and I was pretty relieved to get back to a neighborhood I was familiar with.

Some people are more interested in exploring the possibilities of life, than hiding from them.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:45 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Some people are more interested in exploring the possibilities of life, than hiding from them.
I like that.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:25 PM

346 posts, read 647,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I myself have never understood this either. I don't understand why anyone would want to live in Latin America - visit on vacation, sure - but why LIVE there?

If you want dirt cheap in a tropical environment than just move to the US territory of Puerto Rico and you will still be protected by American laws (and the Federal government's oversight), have American healthcare, use American currency, etc etc. Beats the heck out of taking my chances in Mexico or Costa Rica or some such place. Does Puerto Rico have crime? Yes. Does Puerto Rico have corruption? Yeah, but the corrupt politicos eventually find their way to a nice long visit at Club Fed. It's not allowed to run rampant like in Mexico where the police set up checkpoints to collect bribes and rob people.

Latin America is nothing but a collection of failed third world countries riddled with crime and corruption from the Rio Grande to Tierra del Fuego. The few semi-viable countries are propped up by NAFTA at the expense of American industry and wealth.
Chile is arguably not a third world country.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:54 AM

370 posts, read 543,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTexico76 View Post
Chile is arguably not a third world country.
Chile is not a third world company. You don't even need to plug "arguably" in there. Go look at photos of Santiago. You'd think you were looking at pictures of Calgary sometimes.

Mexico, Costa Rica, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Ecuador, Peru, Uruguay and Panama are nowhere NEAR 3rd world nations. [apologies if I left any others out]

Brazil and Mexico have two of the largest economies on the planet as is and monster populations. They are booming. Some people just can't accept that "Not America" doesn't automatically equal "bad". Mexico City, home to nearly 22 million people in the metro, has a comparable HDI to countries like Italy, Spain and better than places like Portugal.

People need to get out more and see the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico