Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 02:30 PM

563 posts, read 1,711,217 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I live in Texas and have been unemployed for 3 months (I worked in IT as a technical writer), and no jobs in sight. I recently had to move back in with my parents, I'm single, female, will be 29 in November. My only responsibilities are two cats, a student loan payment (which is on deferment right now), a car payment, and a cell phone.

I just returned from a trip to Puerto Vallarta that I had booked long before I lost my job, and absolutely fell in love with the place. I know living somewhere is different than visiting, however I wanted to study abroad in college and never got to. Seeing as I can't find work, I'm opening my mind to the idea of getting a TEFL certificate and moving to Mexico (cats in tow) for 3-6 months maybe, to teach. Maybe extending it if I like it. I do already have a degree in English.

Does anyone have any insight for me? Anyone done it? Anyone know anything about it? Or can anyone recommend good cities to teach in?

I loved being near the ocean, and having American tourists around to talk to was nice (I went to Puerto Vallarta alone, when I went). I am almost fluent in Spanish so I can get around pretty well most of the time. I have about $7000 in the bank for emergencies.

Thanks for any assistance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 03:14 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,437,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweethearttx View Post
Hi all,

I live in Texas and have been unemployed for 3 months (I worked in IT as a technical writer), and no jobs in sight. I recently had to move back in with my parents, I'm single, female, will be 29 in November. My only responsibilities are two cats, a student loan payment (which is on deferment right now), a car payment, and a cell phone.

I just returned from a trip to Puerto Vallarta that I had booked long before I lost my job, and absolutely fell in love with the place. I know living somewhere is different than visiting, however I wanted to study abroad in college and never got to. Seeing as I can't find work, I'm opening my mind to the idea of getting a TEFL certificate and moving to Mexico (cats in tow) for 3-6 months maybe, to teach. Maybe extending it if I like it. I do already have a degree in English.

Does anyone have any insight for me? Anyone done it? Anyone know anything about it? Or can anyone recommend good cities to teach in?

I loved being near the ocean, and having American tourists around to talk to was nice (I went to Puerto Vallarta alone, when I went). I am almost fluent in Spanish so I can get around pretty well most of the time. I have about $7000 in the bank for emergencies.

Thanks for any assistance!
Well as a Mexican that has lived in different countries, I say by all means go for it, there's nothing to loose and much to gain just do a good planning ahead.

As far as I know most cities in Mexico have good english schools, the most important schools are Quick Learning, Anglo americano and Interlingua those are available all around the country, although I don't know how good is the pay but I'm guessing the wages aren't impressive.

Another good chance would be to be hired into one of those schools but to give intensitve one on one particular english courses, those services are charged hourly and the pay is much better.

Now for good cities to live in, what do you have in mind, do you want a metropolitan frenzy? or a more relaxed laidback lifestyle? this is important to know so I can give you better advice.

Best of luck!

Old 10-29-2009, 03:18 PM

Thanks for your response! Well, I live in a big metropolitan city now and I'm pretty tired of the fast pace. I'm thinking somewhere more laid back would be nice, but I also want somewhere with a good night life and where I can socialize. What I liked about Puerto Vallarta was it was slower than my normal pace here in the states, but there was good nightlife and lots of tourists and locals to befriend! I don't want a small country town, but I don't think Mexico City would be good for me either. Does that help?

Old 10-29-2009, 03:32 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,437,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweethearttx View Post
Thanks for your response! Well, I live in a big metropolitan city now and I'm pretty tired of the fast pace. I'm thinking somewhere more laid back would be nice, but I also want somewhere with a good night life and where I can socialize. What I liked about Puerto Vallarta was it was slower than my normal pace here in the states, but there was good nightlife and lots of tourists and locals to befriend! I don't want a small country town, but I don't think Mexico City would be good for me either. Does that help?
Sure, that means you need something in-between a town and a huge metropolis, in that case my recommendations would be the following cities.

San Luis Potosi - A beautiful well planned mid size industrial city with excelent services, restaurants and night life
Morelia - A beautiful culturally rich historical colonial city with an amazing heritage and architecture full of cultural activities like film festivals, music festivals, etc.
Cuernavaca - A beautiful touristic city with an awesome climate all the year round, very near to Mexico city (50 miles) with very good night life
Queretaro - A rapidly growing industrial city with very good infrastructure with lots of nightlife and restaurants.
Toluca - Another very important industrial city full of things to see and do but without the problems of Mexico city, Guadalajara or Monterrey
Puebla Another beautiful colonial city, full of culture, history, art, etc this is a city that attracts countless of students from abroad.
Leon Beautiful mid-sized colonial city with a strong industry and good night life.
Guanajuato gorgeous city, full of alleys and legends, home of the world famous cervantino festival, full of culture and night life.
Puerto Vallarta beautiful touristic city that combines an awesome architecture, rich history and beautiful beaches with an awesome night life.

There are many other nice cities in Mexico but I think that those are more than enough, do some research of them you can send me DM if you need any help.

see you around

Old 10-29-2009, 03:34 PM

Wow that is a lot to choose from! Thanks very much! I may send you a DM soon. Gracias!

Old 10-29-2009, 07:53 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Sure, that means you need something in-between a town and a huge metropolis, in that case my recommendations would be the following cities.

San Luis Potosi - A beautiful well planned mid size industrial city with excelent services, restaurants and night life
Morelia - A beautiful culturally rich historical colonial city with an amazing heritage and architecture full of cultural activities like film festivals, music festivals, etc.
Cuernavaca - A beautiful touristic city with an awesome climate all the year round, very near to Mexico city (50 miles) with very good night life
Queretaro - A rapidly growing industrial city with very good infrastructure with lots of nightlife and restaurants.
Toluca - Another very important industrial city full of things to see and do but without the problems of Mexico city, Guadalajara or Monterrey
Puebla Another beautiful colonial city, full of culture, history, art, etc this is a city that attracts countless of students from abroad.
Leon Beautiful mid-sized colonial city with a strong industry and good night life.
Guanajuato gorgeous city, full of alleys and legends, home of the world famous cervantino festival, full of culture and night life.
Puerto Vallarta beautiful touristic city that combines an awesome architecture, rich history and beautiful beaches with an awesome night life.

There are many other nice cities in Mexico but I think that those are more than enough, do some research of them you can send me DM if you need any help.

see you around
Dang!!! You left off the city of Veracruz, one of my favorite spots in the whole world, or, at least it used to be, haven't been back in over 20 yrs. Are you trying to tell me something??

Old 10-30-2009, 09:42 AM

I have researched teaching in Mexico...pay, that is. It seems like a very tough way to make a living. Is this true? I have read that pay averages $3-5/hour, which would making living there very difficult. I am a writer and was considering trying to get a freelance business going, with customers here in the states. I want to make this happen (moving to Mexico that is!) I just am not sure how!

Old 10-30-2009, 10:14 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
Welcome to REALITY Sweethearttx.

Mexico is VERY nice in many ways but the pay scale compared to the US it is not.

A person would need to spend at least 3 months to be able to understand what the living standards would be like. Cost of buying/renting and what would be available for said funds. Talking to individuals...knowing their income "per day/week and not being paid by the hr as in the US"

The American mentality is different then those of Mexico. I found this out way early during my initial three yrs in Mexico City with a Mexican wife and friends. Now it's been all of 16 yrs and things are still the same in their thinking.

Am sure your thoughts are admirable...but you need a REALITY check.

All the Americans that I know down here in Baja have their funds originally from the US and are NOT working for LOW Mexican daily wages...in fact only one is legally doing something on a small scale on a part time basis.

Writing may be profitable in the US and could extend with you into Mexico...some here?...doubt it.

Steve

Old 10-30-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Welcome to REALITY Sweethearttx.

Mexico is VERY nice in many ways but the pay scale compared to the US it is not.

A person would need to spend at least 3 months to be able to understand what the living standards would be like. Cost of buying/renting and what would be available for said funds. Talking to individuals...knowing their income "per day/week and not being paid by the hr as in the US"

The American mentality is different then those of Mexico. I found this out way early during my initial three yrs in Mexico City with a Mexican wife and friends. Now it's been all of 16 yrs and things are still the same in their thinking.

Am sure your thoughts are admirable...but you need a REALITY check.

All the Americans that I know down here in Baja have their funds originally from the US and are NOT working for LOW Mexican daily wages...in fact only one is legally doing something on a small scale on a part time basis.

Writing may be profitable in the US and could extend with you into Mexico...some here?...doubt it.

Steve
I don't think I need a reality check, I think the fact that I'm doing my research shows I'm fully aware of reality. I am not looking to live a fancy lifestyle and I am aware of rental costs as compared to daily wages. Hence my question.

I'm only looking to stay for 3-6 months, then return home. I'm not looking to move permanently. So I'm trying to figure out a way to maximize my savings and get a bit of income coming in while I stay there. Sort of like studying abroad for a bit, except that I didn't get to do it in college. That's all.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:38 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
To start with a person can get a 90 day or 180 day Visa to visit Mexico.

During this time you are NOT allowed to work "period" as your a tourist. I was told this more then once on my many trips back and forth from LAX to Mexico City.

Inorder to do any work ( LEGALLY ) you would need a paper called FM3 or FM2 that needs to be filled.

Other then that a lot of stuff can be done under the table...I saw it in MC.

Do wish you well tho. Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico