Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 6,192 times

Advertisements

My husband accepted a new psoition in the Kendall area so our family is relocating in the near future. I have taught highschool for many years and also work in the field of mental health counseling. I would love if anyone had any job leads for me. Thanks so much.
Esther
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 09:03 AM

929 posts, read 1,156,120 times
depending on where youre relocating from, after 6 months to a year here
youll need mental health counseling yourself
this will be unlike any place youve ever lived.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:22 AM

184 posts, read 611,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by estherg View Post
My husband accepted a new psoition in the Kendall area so our family is relocating in the near future. I have taught highschool for many years and also work in the field of mental health counseling. I would love if anyone had any job leads for me. Thanks so much.
Esther
Look in East Kendall it is nicer than West Kendall and the demographic is different , as well you are closer to Dadeland , Pinecrest and other nice restaurant and retail areas .

Old 06-19-2007, 09:26 AM

929 posts, read 1,156,120 times
esther, dont believe me, dont believe anyone
read the forums and decide for yourself.
this place is as mean as hawaii is nice

Old 06-19-2007, 09:55 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Ester,

I see that your post was repositioned in the Miami forum, but, as I expected, you do not have many direct replies to your specific query so far, simply because it really may be too specific for this forum, but hang in there, who knows.

I will note in passing, however, that there are plenty of schools and hospitals in the area and that your chances of landing employment, gainful or not, increase significantly if among your skill set you also have the Spanish language, not too mention that there are a lot of undereducated nuts running around in Kendall. Hahahaha!!!

I don't know if I need to ask forgiveness that last comment.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:28 AM

6 posts, read 22,199 times
Hi,

My husband and I just moved to the kendall area as well and I can tell you that you will have plenty of job opportunities here, it is just a matter of looking real hard. If I know of anything, I will definitely let you know..

Daisy

Old 06-19-2007, 10:31 AM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,337 times
There was just a thread on this.

Kendall is one of Dade's better areas, and my friend just moved from there with no real complaints about the area. I hear it gets quite bad west of the turnpike, though.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:28 PM

37 posts, read 127,414 times
This "west of the turnpike is bad" stuff is silly. I live West of the Turnpike in The Crossings and this is a lovely development with it's own county club. As far as the jobs, I am also in a high school and I work with the same population you do. I would say apply with MDCPS and then you should send resumes to a few schools (Varela, Ferguson, Sunset, Braddock, Palmetto, Killian, Coral Reef). I'm sure the next few posts will be about how horrible the schools are here. Please disregard those. I have been at the same school for 10 years and my kids go to the public schools here. If you have any questions I am glad to help.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:48 PM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
The "horrors" of west Kendall mainly refer to the pain experienced by those who have to commute eastward to their places of employment. Certainly much better to work near to where one lives. In the teaching and medical field, you may have opportunities to do just that.

There are indeed some very nice-looking and quiet developments in the Hammocks for example, zip code 33186 I believe.

As for the quality of schools and education in general, well, that can be a real subjective argument, largely depending on one's standards and expectations. Each one measures with his own yardstick.

Good luck!

Old 06-19-2007, 01:39 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsofla View Post
This "west of the turnpike is bad" stuff is silly. I live West of the Turnpike in The Crossings and this is a lovely development with it's own county club. As far as the jobs, I am also in a high school and I work with the same population you do. I would say apply with MDCPS and then you should send resumes to a few schools (Varela, Ferguson, Sunset, Braddock, Palmetto, Killian, Coral Reef). I'm sure the next few posts will be about how horrible the schools are here. Please disregard those. I have been at the same school for 10 years and my kids go to the public schools here. If you have any questions I am glad to help.
Saying the schools are not horrible in Dade is to be completely blind. Over 40 schools were on the news in Miami-Dade for rodent and roach infestations! Think this happens anywhere? Consider only one school in Broward had a full fledged infestation and five others showed signs of rodent/roach activity (which IS normal). Graduation rates are pitifully low in the High School system (although Coral Reef and Palmetto do remain excellent high schools). The spot drop out rate is 5 percent in Dade, extremely high. Most schools are grossly overcrowded and most middle/high schools have at least 80 fights per year. If you enjoy working in MDCPS, good for you,it is good to see somebody who contributes positively to our school system, but please, do not hide the reality. Look, I have much positive to say typically, and if you do not believe me look into my previous posts, but Dade schools really are just no good.

That said, Dade schools do need more positive staff, as this is what sparks change in the system. Also, if your child is well guided, he/she will succeed anywhere I think.

Anyway, sorry to get off topic, but the previous poster pretty much said what I was going to say about west Kendall!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami