Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 12:21 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times

Advertisements

Little Haiti as Uptown Miami??? LOL...Next thing you know, Kendall, Westchester, and North Miami Beach are going to be called the "outer buroughs" of Miami... How original!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 01:20 PM

470 posts, read 1,193,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Little Haiti as Uptown Miami??? LOL...Next thing you know, Kendall, Westchester, and North Miami Beach are going to be called the "outer buroughs" of Miami... How original!
What do you mean by how original? I don't know, the whole Little Haiti, Morningside, Design District and such could ALL be within Uptown, OR some of Little Haiti and/or Morningside and/or Design District can make up the entire Uptown and those neighborhoods/districts will still be their own enclave OR some of Wynwood and Edgewater and so on can be Uptown or a mix of Wynwood, Edgewater and Design District, Little Haiti etc. They could just do one of those or something like it or just arrange that area to make it fit good. It doesn't seem Miami can have a Lower East Side...or can it? Virginia Key could be it LOL or just move some of the Downtown area slighty to the west and have a little of Brickell be Lower East Side.

EDIT: I also want to add to my reply to what Coconut1 said, I don't think they can take away the Little Haiti name, Little Haiti can be part of Uptown or Little Haiti can be trimmed and some of Little Haiti can be used for Uptown but I highly doubt they will erase the name entirely.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
This. Midtown was just slapped on a few years ago to make the development seem more "up and coming" than it really is at the moment.
Oh, see I didn't know that, thanks for sharing

Old 06-20-2010, 01:31 PM

I would say the most important part of a city are Downtown, Midtown, Upper and Lower East and West Side, and maybe an Uptown. The rest is really just whatever you want to name them and of course if they are ethnic enclaves like Little Havana than of course have names like that, like Chinatown and such. And make sure the entire Downtown area is extremely nice and this isn't as important in my opinion but I think it would be better to have the surrounding areas be good areas not as much as Downtown but not ghettos and than the surrounding areas of those places be not nice or ghettos.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:30 PM

326 posts, read 1,170,045 times
They should'nt use words like lower and upper because then how do you know if its north or south of downtown? Then should set it up like Chicago is set along the lake Miami set uo along bay. They got the Near&Far North Side which could be for example (Edgewater) Near&Far (Morningside/Little Haiti). Then (Ocean View Heights) Near&Far DT (Coconut Grove South Side). Just for food for thought we need to come up with our own reference and it's not going to work involving lower&upper.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:51 AM

19 posts, read 49,978 times
YIKES!
post a map!

Old 06-21-2010, 01:03 AM

19 posts, read 49,978 times
Here
I found this

Move on

Old 06-21-2010, 08:17 AM

415 posts, read 650,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbaniDesDev View Post
Here
I found this

Move on
I posted a link to that in the third response in this thread. And that was my whole point to avoid confusion. This is what the actual city wants to call these areas.

The area we are referring to as Midtown is what they want they want to call the Art's and Entertainment district.

Who cares if you call it the A&E district or Midtown??? The point is that there are three distinct areas.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer1000 View Post
I posted a link to that in the third response in this thread. And that was my whole point to avoid confusion. This is what the actual city wants to call these areas.

The area we are referring to as Midtown is what they want they want to call the Art's and Entertainment district.

Who cares if you call it the A&E district or Midtown??? The point is that there are three distinct areas.
Those three areas are the MAIN, larger enclave areas. There are still other areas, like neighborhoods, within those larger enclaves. Even if how it is in that map becomes legit and true, there can still be a Midtown WITHIN that area. There can still be ANYTHING within those areas.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:33 AM

415 posts, read 650,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLee1 View Post
Those three areas are the MAIN, larger enclave areas. There are still other areas, like neighborhoods, within those larger enclaves. Even if how it is in that map becomes legit and true, there can still be a Midtown WITHIN that area. There can still be ANYTHING within those areas.
Midtown is a term used to describe MAIN large enclaves. You don't use a term like Midtown to describe a neighborhood.

If you are going to use a term like Midtown then it would be used to describe a large area and compared to areas like Brickell. Apples to Apples.

You also need to look at the map closer. The area that you want to call midtown starts south of 195. If anything this whole area would grow to become Midtown and the A&E district would be a district within Midtown. It just hasn't grown yet. A developer simply threw in a couple of condos and a mall. you need to give it time to see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami