Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 05:37 PM

470 posts, read 1,194,008 times

Advertisements

What do you guys prefer, Midtown (or any of it's areas) or Downtown (or any of it's areas)? And if you had to choose between Midtown (or it's areas) or Downtown (or it's areas) to live in right now, which one would it be? and why? What area and why do you prefer it? Also, what changes would you make, what would you add and why not the other (if you picked Downtown, why not Midtown and vice versa)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 09:36 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,386,098 times
Is Brickell included in downtown?

Old 06-14-2010, 08:26 AM

415 posts, read 651,314 times
A lot of people are confused when referring to the areas of downtown. I know the Miami DDA is working to relabel the different districts. I think you should use the new proposed downtown districts to help clarify. See the second page:

http://www.miamidda.com/pdf/MP_09_Brochure_0510R.pdf

They are trying to get rid of the Park West and change the Media and entertainment district (which is primarily what is referred to as Midtown) to the Art and Entertainment District.

So you have the A&E district which is basically Midtown, CBD (central business district) which is the core of downtown and Brickell.

Under those labels my preference would be:

1. Brickell
2. CBD
3. A&E

Old 06-14-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Is Brickell included in downtown?
Of course. So, is that your choice? lol.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:54 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,326,410 times
IMO there are three downtown core areas, Midtown which runs from the MacArthur Causeway up to the Julia Tuttle, Downtown which runs from the MacArthur down to the Miami River and then Brickell which runs from the Miami River down to the Rickenbacker.

All areas are contained on the east by Biscayne Bay and the west by 95.

Out of the three, it doesn't matter to me, although since Midtown isn't as built up, I would go with either Downtown or Brickell

Old 06-14-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer1000 View Post
A lot of people are confused when referring to the areas of downtown. I know the Miami DDA is working to relabel the different districts. I think you should use the new proposed downtown districts to help clarify. See the second page:

http://www.miamidda.com/pdf/MP_09_Brochure_0510R.pdf

They are trying to get rid of the Park West and change the Media and entertainment district (which is primarily what is referred to as Midtown) to the Art and Entertainment District.

So you have the A&E district which is basically Midtown, CBD (central business district) which is the core of downtown and Brickell.

Under those labels my preference would be:

1. Brickell
2. CBD
3. A&E
In the first post I did, I meant Downtown and it's areas as Downtown itself, Brickell, Omni, and Park West. In Midtown, Midtown itself, Edgewater, the Wynwood Arts District and maybe throw in Wynwood and the Design District. Yeah, I suppose it could get a little confusing for some. But I didn't know M&E District was part of Midtown if it's true. But I think I prefer to have Media and Entertainment District separately and Arts District separately as well. It seems easier, if you want media or entertainment you go there, if you want art you go to the Arts District. And that would make them smaller, and you know that in the Media District there's media and such, and in the Arts District, arts and such. If you have the A&E District you have everything there so you might get confused on which direction to go if you want art or media. And I definetly dislike the name "Waterfront Overlay District."

Old 06-14-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
IMO there are three downtown core areas, Midtown which runs from the MacArthur Causeway up to the Julia Tuttle, Downtown which runs from the MacArthur down to the Miami River and then Brickell which runs from the Miami River down to the Rickenbacker.

All areas are contained on the east by Biscayne Bay and the west by 95.

Out of the three, it doesn't matter to me, although since Midtown isn't as built up, I would go with either Downtown or Brickell
These are the exact same districts that I was referring too. From MacArthur Causeway up is the A&E district, From MacArthur Causeway down to the Miami River is the CBD district and then south of the Miami River is Brickell.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLee1 View Post
In the first post I did, I meant Downtown and it's areas as Downtown itself, Brickell, Omni, and Park West. In Midtown, Midtown itself, Edgewater, the Wynwood Arts District and maybe throw in Wynwood and the Design District. Yeah, I suppose it could get a little confusing for some.
No, you are just confusing yourself. You are confusing neighborhoods with districts. Most of the areas you described above are neighborhoods, not districts. No one was confused about the neighborhoods. Brickell is NOT a neighborhood of downtown, it's a district.

You are pretty enthusiastic but you have a hard time seeing the forrest from the trees. The very first response to your post was confusion about what you meant as far as what areas. And then the very next post suggest that the area should be broken up into three main areas which is what has ALREADY BEED DECIDED. I was simply relaying the names of those districts to resolve the confusion.

Quote:
But I didn't know M&E District was part of Midtown if it's true.
What the heck did you think Midtown meant???? You are confusing the description of an area with a district. Midtown is just a "loose" term to describe the area above MacArthur Causeway. M&E District is a designated district within that area.

Quote:
But I think I prefer to have Media and Entertainment District separately and Arts District separately as well. It seems easier, if you want media or entertainment you go there, if you want art you go to the Arts District.And that would make them smaller, and you know that in the Media District there's media and such, and in the Arts District, arts and such. If you have the A&E District you have everything there so you might get confused on which direction to go if you want art or media.
Again you seem to be talking complete nonsense. THERE IS CURRENTLY NO ARTS DISTRICT. It's called the MEDIA & ENTERTAINMENT district and it currently encompasses the entire area where entertainment and art is located.

They want to change the name from M&E to A&E to REFLECT the focus on ART. The MEDIA is ART.

Quote:
And I definetly dislike the name "Waterfront Overlay District."
Again you seem to keep confusing a district and a neighborhood.

The term is just explanatory at this point. It's simply to explain that instead of having separate waterfront areas the intend to make the entire waterfront a continuous experience where ALL the waterfront space is open to the public. Instead of individual developers purchasing the land and closing it off and using it as personal space for residents only. Look at the actual map and see how the green area covers all of the space along the water throughout ALL the districts.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer1000 View Post
No, you are just confusing yourself. You are confusing neighborhoods with districts. Most of the areas you described above are neighborhoods, not districts. No one was confused about the neighborhoods. Brickell is NOT a neighborhood of downtown, it's a district.

You are pretty enthusiastic but you have a hard time seeing the forrest from the trees. The very first response to your post was confusion about what you meant as far as what areas. And then the very next post suggest that the area should be broken up into three main areas which is what has ALREADY BEED DECIDED. I was simply relaying the names of those districts to resolve the confusion.

What the heck did you think Midtown meant???? You are confusing the description of an area with a district. Midtown is just a "loose" term to describe the area above MacArthur Causeway. M&E District is a designated district within that area.

Again you seem to be talking complete nonsense. THERE IS CURRENTLY NO ARTS DISTRICT. It's called the MEDIA & ENTERTAINMENT district and it currently encompasses the entire area where entertainment and art is located.

They want to change the name from M&E to A&E to REFLECT the focus on ART. The MEDIA is ART.

Again you seem to keep confusing a district and a neighborhood.

The term is just explanatory at this point. It's simply to explain that instead of having separate waterfront areas the intend to make the entire waterfront a continuous experience where ALL the waterfront space is open to the public. Instead of individual developers purchasing the land and closing it off and using it as personal space for residents only. Look at the actual map and see how the green area covers all of the space along the water throughout ALL the districts.
I was talking about the Wynwood ARTS District. So there's no Arts District, they just put that in the name to mess with people, ok. And just because I didn't know the M&E District was not in Midtown does not mean anything, I just didn't know like how other people don't know other things. Wether Brickell is part of Downtown or it's own, most people put Brickell as part of Downtown, that's what I was doing, no need to get technical. Downtown, Brickell, Omni, and Park West are still all considered the parts of the "Downtown area" wether they actually are or not. What's the big deal or difference anyway? They are still all enclaves in Miami. If you want to point out to me the huge difference between districts and neighborhoods please tell me, because I'M ADMITTING I don't know.

And ALL I said was I DON'T LIKE THE NAME. What does that have to do with what you said? nothing. thanks.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
I was talking about the Wynwood ARTS District. So there's no Arts District, they just put that in the name to mess with people, ok. And just because I didn't know the M&E District was not in Midtown does not mean anything, I just didn't know like how other people don't know other things. Wether Brickell is part of Downtown or it's own, most people put Brickell as part of Downtown, that's what I was doing, no need to get technical. Downtown, Brickell, Omni, and Park West are still all considered the parts of the "Downtown area" wether they actually are or not. What's the big deal or difference anyway? They are still all enclaves in Miami. If you want to point out to me the huge difference between districts and neighborhoods please tell me, because I'M ADMITTING I don't know.

I think you are missing the point. Of course Brickell is part of Downtown. Just like Midtown is part of downtown. Downtown is the ENTIRE area. So if you are going to break out Midtown from Downtown then it makes sense to also break out Brickell from Downtown as well.

___________________Downtown (ENTIRE Area)_____________________

_____Midtown___________ Downtown_____________ Brickell___________

_____Wynwood_____________ Omni______________ Brickell north
____Edgewater____________ Park West____________ Brickell West
______etc._________________ etc.__________________ etc.__________

When people compare things they usually compare like items. It wouldn't make much sense to compare living in Midtown to living in Omni, because Midtown is much larger and diverse than just Omni. So since you were trying to compare the ENTIRE Downtown area and you want Midtown separate from downtown then it clearly makes sense to also break out Brickell. Which is why in the very next post someone asked if Brickell was included in Downtown. Brickell goes all the way down to Rickenbacker Causeway. Do you really think living in a house of S. Miami Ave is like living downtown????

It would be like talking about Manhattan where you have uptown, midtown and downtown which are all "Downtown". If you as people which part of downtown do they prefer midtown or Downtown you probably wouldn't get to many people talking about uptown because you prefaced the question with midtown or downtown.

So downtown refers to the entire area or just the central business district (CBD). The CBD definitely has a different feel than Brickell. Just go down there and take a walk. Brickell is definitely more residential. There are actual houses in Brickell South and Brickell West. CBD like the CBD in any downtown is the core for businesses. Brickell mainly has banks and Law firms which is why its called the financial district.

Quote:
And ALL I said was I DON'T LIKE THE NAME. What does that have to do with what you said? nothing. thanks.
I was pointing out that the name you don't like wasn't an actual name. You cant drive to or live in the "waterfront overlay district". Again it's simply used to describe that all the space along the bay and river is reserved for public use. You either didn't look at the map or can't understand that they weren't talking about an actual district. How would the waterfront area in Midtown and riverfront area in Brickell be the same area???

As always I love you enthusiasm for downtown Miami. But you have to take a little time to understand the practical things you're talking about if you want people to take you seriously. You simply want to know what area of downtown people prefer. But the only 3 people who have responded have spent more time explaining the area instead of answering the question. Everyone but you can see that there are 3 distinct areas of downtown. Take 5 minutes and look at a map, it's pretty obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami