Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 06:52 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times

Advertisements

No regard for red lights in Lake Co. now? Lake County??? It didnt used to be like that there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 06:53 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Your.Decision View Post
How else do you want our local government to deal with red light runners? Doing nothing isn't an option, nor is having patrol cars sitting at intersections waiting to chase down these idiots. Unless they hurt someone and jail is the only answer, fining these idiots is the only way to punish them. Of course, I would equally like to see them on the wrong end of a good beating, but that 'aint going to happen. Hit people where it hurts - their wallets. Repeat offenders should be banned from driving for life. Cameras are the only way to catch them and cameras are needed here as our roads are deadly.
You know that cameras at these intersections don't mean that it will make these intersections any safer. Studies have been done on intersections with cameras, and they usually have an increase of accidents than before the cameras. The county wants the publlc to believe that the cameras actually help with safety, when in reality they help their pockets instead.

Here are few links that speak about those studies:
Red-Light Cameras Do Not Make Intersections Safer | Chicago Personal Injury Law Blog - Passen Law Group - Top Chicago, Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers

New Study Says Traffic-Light Cameras Cause Accidents | Autopia | Wired.com

Rear-end collisions jump at red-light camera intersections in West Palm Beach

Old 07-18-2010, 08:15 PM

242 posts, read 315,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
You know that cameras at these intersections don't mean that it will make these intersections any safer. Studies have been done on intersections with cameras, and they usually have an increase of accidents than before the cameras. The county wants the publlc to believe that the cameras actually help with safety, when in reality they help their pockets instead.

Here are few links that speak about those studies:
Red-Light Cameras Do Not Make Intersections Safer | Chicago Personal Injury Law Blog - Passen Law Group - Top Chicago, Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers

New Study Says Traffic-Light Cameras Cause Accidents | Autopia | Wired.com

Rear-end collisions jump at red-light camera intersections in West Palm Beach
I think you'll find conflicting views and studies on this subject, but my own personal belief is that they generally work to cut injuries and deaths on our roads, which is the most important thing:
Red Light Camera Q&As:
Q&As: Red light cameras
Research: Red-light cameras work
Research: Red-light cameras work - USATODAY.com
Red-light cameras cut crash costs, study shows
Red-light cameras cut crash costs, study shows
Study indicates red light cameras effective
Study indicates red light cameras effective (http://baytownsun.com/story/42885/ - broken link)
It's not the cameras themselves that cause rear end collisions -- it's the drivers and their lack of skills.* Besides, what's more dangerous: a rear end collision, or being t-boned at 50mph by some jacked up idiot running a red light?* The answer is pretty obvious.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:40 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Quote:
How else do you want our local government to deal with red light runners? Doing nothing isn't an option, nor is having patrol cars sitting at intersections waiting to chase down these idiots. Unless they hurt someone and jail is the only answer, fining these idiots is the only way to punish them. Of course, I would equally like to see them on the wrong end of a good beating, but that 'aint going to happen. Hit people where it hurts - their wallets. Repeat offenders should be banned from driving for life. Cameras are the only way to catch them and cameras are needed here as our roads are deadly.
Why not make drivers take a driving test every few years instead... not just written, but also behind the wheel.

I personally don't like red light cameras. As a driver you should be using your best judgment on road situations. Sometimes you're going too fast to stop, but too slow to continue on. When you know there's a camera there, what do you do? Stop. The potential to have accidents from sudden stops greatly increases because of this.

Additionally, there's the whole big brother aspect. While I believe all intersections and streets should have cameras, I believe only reported crimes/accidents should be reviewed.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Why not make drivers take a driving test every few years instead... not just written, but also behind the wheel.

I personally don't like red light cameras. As a driver you should be using your best judgment on road situations. Sometimes you're going too fast to stop, but too slow to continue on. When you know there's a camera there, what do you do? Stop. The potential to have accidents from sudden stops greatly increases because of this.

Additionally, there's the whole big brother aspect. While I believe all intersections and streets should have cameras, I believe only reported crimes/accidents should be reviewed.
Traffic lights generally go from green to yellow to red. The yellow gives you plenty of time to stop (or carry on). That's no excuse for bad and reckless driving, which is very prevalent in Miami.

Testing people every few years would not solve the problem either. Do you honestly think people are going to blow red lights on their test? Of course not; they're going to be "good". This will not take into account that people in Miami drive this way because they *can*.

Big Brother aspect is something I don't buy either....it's not as if the cameras are going to be shoved in your living rooms, or pointed at your house. When you are on a PUBLIC highway or in any PUBLIC place, what right do you have to privacy? They have security cameras in malls and in stores already to prevent the crime of shoplifting, so what's the difference?

Old 07-18-2010, 09:12 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
There was a similar thread about tolling on the Snapper Creek/Don Shula, so how's about those red light cameras that just became legal this month? Are they changing your behavior, and is the change the same as what was intended by "big brother?"

In my case, I am avoiding having to turn right at a signal that I know has a camera, since "some cities" insist on enforcing rolling right turns when the law EXPLICITELY says the cameras can't be used for that purpose. I'm avoiding the intersection even if that means using the Aventura Mall perimeter road. And you know, it's probably faster for me to do this, since the right lane backs up from people who are afraid to turn right even after stopping, and those who stop twice because they're startled by the flash. Also you get people behind you who honk their horn and curse at you (or simply hit you) because you're smart enough to stop behind the line before proceeding.

Enough from me, how about others' red light camera tales/woes?
I do hate the rolling stop rule, my GF got a ticket in the mail for that but since the law was not in effect yet it was just a warning funny thing is I think I was the one driving her car that night.

Anyway I hate red light cameras however I have been stopping on some lights that I would sometimes go through. I dont run red lights completly I always try to stop but now even if I brake hard I will stop. That can cause some accidents though especially in wet weather. But they probably do there job. Only good thing is they cant count towards points or insurance etc.. I think? Anyone know more about that? I heard its just a fine.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Traffic lights generally go from green to yellow to red. The yellow gives you plenty of time to stop (or carry on). That's no excuse for bad and reckless driving, which is very prevalent in Miami.

Testing people every few years would not solve the problem either. Do you honestly think people are going to blow red lights on their test? Of course not; they're going to be "good". This will not take into account that people in Miami drive this way because they *can*.

Big Brother aspect is something I don't buy either....it's not as if the cameras are going to be shoved in your living rooms, or pointed at your house. When you are on a PUBLIC highway or in any PUBLIC place, what right do you have to privacy? They have security cameras in malls and in stores already to prevent the crime of shoplifting, so what's the difference?
You get somebody in front of you and they're about to go through... the light turns yellow and they should still go, yet they stop. You can't break fast enough so you slam into the back of them.

No, I don't think people would intentionally run a red light on a driving test, but it would make them more aware of their habits as well as provide a refresher for the rules of the road.

Another solution is to increase the delay before the opposite light turns green.

If you really believe this is all for safety you're mistaken. This is nothing more than a revenue booster. Cameras aren't on payroll...

Old 07-19-2010, 10:50 AM

119 posts, read 249,226 times
You won't plow into them if you maintain an appropriate distance between you and them and have decent brakes on your car.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie_77 View Post
You won't plow into them if you maintain an appropriate distance between you and them and have decent brakes on your car.
Miami people are unable (or more likely unwilling) to grasp this very basic driving concept.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie_77 View Post
You won't plow into them if you maintain an appropriate distance between you and them
So how do you plan on enforcing this?

If there is such a safety concern then police should hide in areas where red lights are often run, then when somebody does intentionally run one, radio ahead to another officer and they'll pull them over.

That won't happen though... you know why? It's all about revenue, not safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami