Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2010, 06:51 PM

29 posts, read 68,595 times

Advertisements

Hello, Floridians, I'm a 25 year old girl, Filipino, born and raised in North Jersey, pursuing a career in mental health counseling. For some reason, accredited mental health counseling programs aren't as abundant up here as they are down there... So I wanted to get a bit of background info on the area before I waste my time researching a school I couldn't stand to live by.

Some of the specific schools I'm considering are Barry University at Miami Shores or Florida International at Miami.

About me, since i've lived less than half an hour from NYC all my life, a bit of culture and diversity is a must ... I don't mind towns with a little bit of so-called "ghetto"-ness (I've lived in New Brunswick and on the outskirts of Newark before) but I don't want to fear for my life. An area with a decent twenties scene would be preferable, but I'm definitely over the whole party raging scene.

How comfortable would I be in Miami, or Miami Shores? Or at the aforementioned schools, if anyone is familiar w/ them ...

Thanks in advance !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,359 times
I am a resident of Miami Shores, and the community in very involved with Barry University and vice versa. There also happens to be a fairly strong filipino community within Miami Shores. The campus abutts some somewhat schetchy areas of unicorporated Miami Dade county, but the campus is safe and sort of an oasis. There is easy access to midtown miami, downtown miami, aventura, and miami beach all of which have heartier 'party scenes. Miami Shores is really family oriented area, but very diverse as well. Good luck. We moved from the North East (Jersey and NYC) 12 years ago and it was an adjustment.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:16 PM

119 posts, read 249,146 times
FIU is far superior to Barry.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:41 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,777,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie_77 View Post
FIU is far superior to Barry.
Well I don't know about that; Barry has a heck of an alumni network; and in the end, it's all about getting a job, isn't it?

But college rankings aside, FIU is public and Barry is private. At FIU the tuition per credit hour for a Florida resident is $158.10; if you are out-of-state, that amount jumps to $570.40! Florida has some of the most affordable in-state rates for tuition and, IMHO, the most inflated rates for out-of-staters. Although this is still 2/3 the cost of Barry and 1/2 the cost of tuition of UM (which is completely ridiculous if you ask me), I don't think FIU is worth it in that regard.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:52 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,419,454 times
Im filipino and i live in Miami Shores, theres plenty of us here. As for barry vs FIU. Its comparing apples to oranges

Old 08-28-2010, 11:31 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,868,623 times
Hmmm well can you be more specific about what you are looking for and what is in your budget?

I can probably help you out a lot i myself have lived in JC and now live in Miami so similar situation i guess... a car here is a MUST!

As for diversity youll get mainly Central/ South Americans and Many people from the Carribean and thats the extent of diversity here not that many Orientals/ Asians/ Indian/ Middle East people as up north (close to none lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami