Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 08:39 AM

85 posts, read 586,963 times

Advertisements

We've been told about this community, do someone knows something or heard something about it? It says it's been called the "Coral Gables of the Poor".. Do someone knows about the public schools "in there" ? or just anything? any feedback will be greatly appreciated it thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 06:10 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,132,455 times
There is no such place on planet earth that is the Coral Gables for the poor.

Miami Shores is nothing remotely close to the Gables. Miami Shores was a modest suburb that was built in Miami and became surrounded by mediocre areas as the city grew and surrounded it. The demographics have changed over time....over the past 20 years it has become home to many Caribbean Blacks (Haitians and Jamaicans) as well more recently Gay couples and other professionals looking for less pricey but decent areas. The prices in the Shores have skyrocketed along with the rest of the area, it was popular recently for being one of the last few, nice affordable areas circa 2000. Now its original 1960s modest track homes are going for near 500K, when they cost about 100K back in the late 90s. Many people have renovated, added on and improved the homes though....but at the core they are still middle class starter type homes (at least they were 10 years ago). Its not a bad area...but its draw was its affordability. It has always been a little rough around its borders, but has never been a "special" community like the Gables. Hope this clears up any misconceptions.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:57 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,156,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
There is no such place on planet earth that is the Coral Gables for the poor.

Miami Shores is nothing remotely close to the Gables. Miami Shores was a modest suburb that was built in Miami and became surrounded by mediocre areas as the city grew and surrounded it. The demographics have changed over time....over the past 20 years it has become home to many Caribbean Blacks (Haitians and Jamaicans) as well more recently Gay couples and other professionals looking for less pricey but decent areas. The prices in the Shores have skyrocketed along with the rest of the area, it was popular recently for being one of the last few, nice affordable areas circa 2000. Now its original 1960s modest track homes are going for near 500K, when they cost about 100K back in the late 90s. Many people have renovated, added on and improved the homes though....but at the core they are still middle class starter type homes (at least they were 10 years ago). Its not a bad area...but its draw was its affordability. It has always been a little rough around its borders, but has never been a "special" community like the Gables. Hope this clears up any misconceptions.
Really?? I never knew much about it but my boss lives there, he's MD, MPH and given his position, both financial and professional, I thought it was one of the nicer places.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 6,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Really?? I never knew much about it but my boss lives there, he's MD, MPH and given his position, both financial and professional, I thought it was one of the nicer places.
I am a resident of Miami Shores and I must tell you that Miami Shores is actually split in half in terms of Residence Value. North Miami Ave splits NE from NW. Homes east of North Miami Ave. have a higher value than those in the North West, and the more you move towards the bay - the higher the homes go. All you have to do is punch up 33138 (Miami Shores Zip) and just look at the homes and costs in miami shores.

There is a country club, a community center, community pool, it's own police force for such a small community, and a Fire Station. The residents of Miami Shores are diverse, there are hispanics/blacks/whites - but the strict code enforcement makes sure the houses are kept beautifully.

I would recommend you look at any real estate site's available homes in Miami Shores, you will see that the homes are very nice....

Old 03-31-2007, 06:43 PM

176 posts, read 646,751 times
Noberto's Deli..baby!!

Old 03-31-2007, 11:05 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,787,931 times
From someone who's actually BEEN there & knows people who LIVE there,
(most people on these boards seem to be walking googles )
it is a very nice area! It's almost quaint! I laughed when I saw their little downtown - it's like a little quaint village, Miami style.
Homophobes & racists need not apply... (And I'll refrain from saying what they COULD do... )

Old 04-01-2007, 07:20 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,132,455 times
Hi Elfyum,

It has been a long time! haha. I have actually BEEN there!!! I am a local history buff, so that is why I share as much as I know. Yes they do have that little downtown, I would say it is almost a very strange place compared to the rest of South Florida, it sort of feels like you are on a movie set becausse of the architecture and its feeling more like a small town (not a commercialy manufactured feel).

Old 04-02-2007, 08:28 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,680,488 times
Miami Shores is unique among South Florida towns. Part of the neighborhood is quite impressive with homes that stand out among the cluuter of cookie cutter subdivisions that dominate Dade and Broward County. Unlike Coral Gables (for the most part) there are some lower end housing units as well. Most everything east of Biscayne Blvd will be pricier.

If you want that general area, but can't afford in the nicer areas, then I recommend Biscayne Park which is just north of Miami Shores. Just be sure to stay away from the RR tracks.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:44 PM

166 posts, read 986,326 times
I was checking out the real estate values in Miami Shores; it seemed very expensive. Sounds like it was a great investment to those that purchased before the boom. I think those people probably have big smiles on their faces as they watched the net worth of their investments skyrocket.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:31 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,680,488 times
Angel....that smile is on almost everyones face who bought before then. But now its a curse for some who'd like to move to a bigger house in south florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami