Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 06:29 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,063,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
...and hard drugs can be more of a problem in private schools because the rich kids can afford them. The generalizations are a bit much here.
What generalizations exactly? Actually you are wrong most white kids in palmetto can afford these drugs too. I don't know if things have changed but like Winter said, pills were popular. Also back then and this could be a generalization most teachers were afraid of those white caucasian kids and allowed a lot of innappropiate behavior like being disrespectful, having alcohol breath and even making out in class. I think they were scared of their parents. I noticed that more with black teachers.

Maybe it was my west perrine comment? Well I give you that, most white parents don't want their kids to associate with this crowed but in experience these kids were never troublemakers because they were outnumbered. They white and black kids never hanged out together. We had a black classmate that became a celebrity and according to facebook all these white kids were friends with her. Yeah right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 12:39 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,386,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
What generalizations exactly? Actually you are wrong most white kids in palmetto can afford these drugs too. I don't know if things have changed but like Winter said, pills were popular. Also back then and this could be a generalization most teachers were afraid of those white caucasian kids and allowed a lot of innappropiate behavior like being disrespectful, having alcohol breath and even making out in class. I think they were scared of their parents. I noticed that more with black teachers.

Maybe it was my west perrine comment? Well I give you that, most white parents don't want their kids to associate with this crowed but in experience these kids were never troublemakers because they were outnumbered. They white and black kids never hanged out together. We had a black classmate that became a celebrity and according to facebook all these white kids were friends with her. Yeah right.
Yes, it was more the second part--my point being that private schools have their share of bad influences too. Also not sure how far back you're talking but Palmetto is pretty far from scary. Biggest threat there is trying not to get hit by some snobby Land Rover-driving mom on her cell phone while walking outside of school.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:24 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,870,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
...and hard drugs can be more of a problem in private schools because the rich kids can afford them. The generalizations are a bit much here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Rich kids don't do drugs, they do pills

i sense the sarcasm but lemme just state my opinion... from what i have seen as a recent HS grad.... in public school A LOT of kids smoke weed... in both private and public a lot of kids pop pills... but in private cocaine is sometimes involved.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:56 PM

7 posts, read 17,006 times
[quote=somebodymiami;16140570]dont send him to private if you can send him to palmetto... palmetto will be better in the long run great school(academically and athletically) with a good student diversity.

Isn't Gulliver good academically? I have a functional family. I have a daughter I will send to public school. I am fine with diversity, he is currently the only caucasian in his class. I can afford either school. He is on the geeky side since he is so uber academic. Does Palmetto have a better gifted program? Will he be more likely to be bullied at Palmetto or Gulliver? Thanks for the help!

Old 10-06-2010, 01:00 PM

7 posts, read 17,006 times
how on earth?

Old 10-06-2010, 04:03 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,386,098 times
[quote=movingmiami;16164728]
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
dont send him to private if you can send him to palmetto... palmetto will be better in the long run great school(academically and athletically) with a good student diversity.

Isn't Gulliver good academically? I have a functional family. I have a daughter I will send to public school. I am fine with diversity, he is currently the only caucasian in his class. I can afford either school. He is on the geeky side since he is so uber academic. Does Palmetto have a better gifted program? Will he be more likely to be bullied at Palmetto or Gulliver? Thanks for the help!
Yes Gulliver is good academically--I think the dealbreaker is whether or not you prefer to have them in public vs private school (it will be a good choice either way). Can't speak to bullying, though growing up I didn't see much bullying in the traditional sense going on in school...

Old 10-06-2010, 05:18 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,200,080 times
Bullying is the worst thing that can happen in a school environment, specially if it comes from gangbangers. I still have yellow spots on my body from the beatings.

You know, there is always home schooling.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:57 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Gulliver. They have an awesome staff, and fantaistic new swimming pool. Excellent cirriculum, and challenging for a gifted student.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:28 PM

140 posts, read 508,542 times
Gulliver is a good school, but I don't believe that it is academically the best or necessarily worth the tuition. At the high school level, I knew many kids who went to Gulliver because they couldn't cut it at Ransom, which is a far more rigorous school.

Pametto Middle is an A-rated public school with a good reputation. School Accountability Report...

If your son has any special or extracurricular interests, it might help you to check out the programs at each school to help you make up your mind.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:09 PM

18 posts, read 98,709 times
My kids went to Southwood in the gifted program and had an amazing education. I would take it over Palmetto any day! I think the kids at Palmetto grow up a lot faster, meaning start doing drugs and drinking sooner.When my kids got to Palmettto the Palmetto Middle kids were more advanced for sure in alcohol and drug scene. Yes I do know this 1st hand. The kids at Palmer are for sure the most innocent. Not the real world, but beautiful campus- 600 kids 6 through 12th
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami