Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Miami, Florida harsh criticisms, gateway city, salaries low in comparison to cost of living, smaller college towns, quality of life in Miami, no real industry to support itself, imported money

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 09:52 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,683,240 times

Advertisements

i'm illiterate then...unless you count pig latin as a second language!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 08:00 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Speaking more than one language is good, of course, but I think the objection many people have to learning Spanish in Miami is that many of the Spanish-speaking immigrants EXPECT the native population to do so. I think if most Americans moved to South America they would try to learn Spanish but when someone tells us that we should learn in to be able to get jobs in an American city that's when we start to get pissed and become dead-set against it.
Also, for many who were born here and have watched the city change with each wave of immigrants (many of whom never learned English) I think Spanish is regarded as the language of an invading and occupying culture-- something to be resisted, not accomodated.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:27 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Dear Nepalm,

You make very interesting posts, but please, please use paragraphs, and your posts will be not only much more interesting, but a pleasure to read.

Certainly comparisons are essential to understanding different locales in our world, but also important is how a given locale stands on its own. It seems that the majority of "senior members" of the Miami forum focus on the latter aspect, and for some very legitimate, pressing, immediate, practical reasons.

Furthermore, there is no logical reason to necessarily attach a direct cause and effect relationship between observing negatives, on the one hand, and "hatred" or being miserable, on the other; in fact there may be very little connection between one's observing concrete social phenomena and the emotional state of the observer.

Yes, Miami certainly has style, it can be a very desirable place to live, and on several accounts, but how, in your view, based on your needs and expectations, does Miami stand on its own merits, even in relationship to the rest of the world?

Old 08-02-2007, 09:31 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
"you still can make it better in Miami than let say Orlando, Gainesville, Talahassee or Pensacola where being white, Baptist or Republican is often the only way you can get hired."

Excuse me?

I'm afraid you don't really know what you are talking about here...

I can't speak for Pensacola but Tallahassee and Gainesville are actually the opposite of what you describe. I can only assume that you have not spent much time in either place, or noticed that they both went "blue" in the last two presidential elections...

Miami is fine if you like a big, dirty crowded city full of rude people whose main function in life is to rip you and anyone else off, or if you like your local government driven by bribery and graft instead of a genuine desire to serve the people.

So you can keep Miami. I like it better where I am now - one of those little blue areas in North Florida that you are probably ignorant enough to consider "redneck", whatever that means to you...

Old 08-02-2007, 09:48 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
"you still can make it better in Miami than let say Orlando, Gainesville, Talahassee or Pensacola where being white, Baptist or Republican is often the only way you can get hired."

Excuse me?

I'm afraid you don't really know what you are talking about here...

I can't speak for Pensacola but Tallahassee and Gainesville are actually the opposite of what you describe. I can only assume that you have not spent much time in either place, or noticed that they both went "blue" in the last two presidential elections...

Miami is fine if you like a big, dirty crowded city full of rude people whose main function in life is to rip you and anyone else off, or if you like your local government driven by bribery and graft instead of a genuine desire to serve the people.

So you can keep Miami. I like it better where I am now - one of those little blue areas in North Florida that you are probably ignorant enough to consider "redneck", whatever that means to you...
Seriously. Tallahassee and Gainesville are classic college towns. They are probably bluer than Miami, which actually isn't very blue at all.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:24 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Seriously. Tallahassee and Gainesville are classic college towns. They are probably bluer than Miami, which actually isn't very blue at all.
Miami was one of the few counties to vote for Gore in 2000. Miami is, unfortunately, very 'blue'. If it wasn't for Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties (leaving aside the 'Jews for Buchanan' fiasco) Florida would be a guaranteed red state like the rest of the south.
Attached Thumbnails
Miami Has Style!!!-20001114_xcbtl_electionrtrn.jpg  

Old 08-03-2007, 03:28 AM

98 posts, read 307,131 times
Love me some Tallahassee...and it has NOTHING to do with the fact that I am an FSU alum

Old 08-03-2007, 08:39 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Miami was one of the few counties to vote for Gore in 2000. Miami is, unfortunately, very 'blue'. If it wasn't for Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties (leaving aside the 'Jews for Buchanan' fiasco) Florida would be a guaranteed red state like the rest of the south.
WHich many of us do NOT think is a good thing.

Thanks for the war, BTW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami