Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Hispano New Yorker’s view on Miami Dade, too many rude Spanish immigrants who don’t speak English, hurricane dangers, Miami cost of living as high as New York

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 08:02 PM

58 posts, read 228,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Valwpcc9w6,

You may have an MBA, but you did not read the original post carefully: the comparison is not between New York City and the City of Miami, and the main point is not the difference in the cost of living.

In any case, each one has his own view and his own measure. The purpose of the post was to relate one person's view and measure, and the main point is his perceived rudeness of his fellow "Hispanics", mostly in the community known as Kendall which is more comparable to Queens and is a far cry socially and economically from NYC or communities in the City of Miami and Miami-Dade such as Brickell and Coral Gables, where many of the Fortune 500 types and international companies marketing in Latin America have their regional or US headquarters, and Aventura.

Anyway, good luck in your career and let's hope you manage some of these companies more carefully than you read and interpret some of these posts.
I believe that, at the time of Bale’s response, mine was the first post about this particular topic. With the exception of my message to doggiebus, practically all other comments I have made on this forum have been about my own unique experiences, not rebuttals of someone else’s. Therefore, to use the term “these posts”, referring to anything I have written, is quite misleading.

It is interesting how some people feel the need to put others down in order to express their opinion. Bale claims that the perceived rudeness of the Hispanics in Kendall is his/her main point, yet he/she spends most of the post making other claims about a city or area as his/her friend/acquaintance sees it:

“I am not to happy here in Miami, yes it is true. To live here in Miami is too damn expensive; I’d rather live in NY for almost the same cost.”
(Even though Bale mentions nothing about Hispanics' rudeness prior to this statement, my muse was supposed to tell me that his/her main point was yet to come. I also should have asked my muse to let me know that Miami, from here on out, would be a substitute term for Kendall.)

“Another bad thing about Miami is that people here do not know how to drive, it's like they just give out licenses to every one that lives here whether they know how to drive or not. People don't pay attention to the road when driving.”
(Unless Bale’s friend/acquaintance spent the day adding up the total number of Hispanics on Miami (Kendall?) roads, I don’t see much here in the way of “perceived rudeness of…fellow Hispanics”. I have driven in Miami (and Kendall); my friends have driven in Miami (and Kendall). Did I mention that my friends are Chinese and Taiwanese?)

“Another thing is if I buy a house, am I going to be worried every year about my roof being blown away, getting cooped up in darkness due to the storm shutters on my doors and windows? And what about my car, is it going to get flooded, is a tree going to fall on it etc.?...Now during hurricane season the people say it rains too much, and it does rain almost everyday and it is so humid that it makes you want to be indoors at all time.”
(This is the third paragraph of four that doesn’t even mention the word Hispanic. In addition, it is completely devoid of any geographic specificity.)

“One more thing is the way I see it to live here and to enjoy this weather is to have your own business, be retired or have a very good job, not what I do.”
(I recall writing about jobs and living in general, in my original post. But yet again, where are the Hispanics? Where is Kendall?)

The only other paragraph related to the friend/acquaintance from New York (Queens) discusses the differences among Hispanics “here”, wherever that is. By reading Bale’s post “carefully”, then, the statements above are completely off topic. As any person who has learned something in school knows, supporting statements should reinforce the main argument one is trying to convey. Otherwise, as I and most other people would believe, there is more than one “main point” in Bale’s post. All I did was to address the subject of costs and work.

As far as New York is concerned, people in Queens are pretty much next door to Manhattan. With the exception of local business owners, I have yet to meet someone from Queens who does not conduct some sort of work in Manhattan and contribute to its economy. In fact, many professionals live in Queens. Furthermore, I hardly know anyone from Queens who does not go out to Manhattan or is completely unaffected by it. Nevertheless, I mentioned Brooklyn in my post, so I am quite aware that real estate prices are lower in the boroughs outside Manhattan. It does not take away from the fact that prices there are still extremely high, even by Miami standards. I suggest that Bale check out the median price for a home in Queens (part of New York City).

So I guess I will continue to manage my company well by looking at the fine print of written and numerical language, and interpreting things based on what they mean as they are clearly stated, not on what the original writer would have liked for them to mean. Furthermore, since he/she enjoys stressing my MBA title, I hope that Bale addresses all clauses with which he/she does not agree prior to signing a contract. To just focus on one matter, albeit an important one, while overlooking the others is, in my opinion, a bit foolish.

Last edited by Valwpcc9w6; 07-20-2007 at 08:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 09:17 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,937,421 times
I used to want to live in Miami too...I guess its not the place for me. I thought the rudeness came from the New Yorkers and Yankees instead of the immigrants. Evidently its both groups.

I'm Asian American (born here) but I'm most comfortable in a very American culture (by this I mean the Middle American suburban norm). There is a lot of good and bad in Hispanic culture like in all cultures but if I want to experience it I can just go to Mexico or Puerto Rico on vacation. Maryland itself, at least my part of it has changed dramatically and it makes me want to move and its not just the weather though that's a factor. I think its better for our country if immigrants will just assimilate rahter than separate themselves.

I seriously don't see how a foreigner can come into our country and demand that we speak their language. What's happening in Miami is happening to a certain extent with immigrants and minorites around the nation wherever there is a large concentration....that's when they don't assimilate as well. A lot of people of Asian and Hispanic descent who say I want to be white because I listen to a lot of country and because of my conservative politics. Stuff like this shouldn't be happening. We should all just be Americans with common interests and values.

Moderator cut: take it to the polotics forum

Last edited by mbmouse; 07-28-2007 at 10:23 AM..

Old 07-30-2007, 07:27 AM

4 posts, read 14,877 times
Tell your friend from New York to give Miami a chance. Me, my husband and my two teenagers moved to Miami from the Bronx in 2003. We complained every day for 6 months, every week for the next six months and so on. Finally after a full 2 years we realized we weren't complaining as much anymore. Now with our 4th anniversary approaching in a few days, we can say that we like it here. We LOVE New York, but don't want to go back to live. Miami is sooooooo different from New York and the spanish thing is really frustrating and hurtful. (We are Dominican). It gets better, trust me.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:26 AM

9,369 posts, read 14,319,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yansa9 View Post
Tell your friend from New York to give Miami a chance. Me, my husband and my two teenagers moved to Miami from the Bronx in 2003. We complained every day for 6 months, every week for the next six months and so on. Finally after a full 2 years we realized we weren't complaining as much anymore. Now with our 4th anniversary approaching in a few days, we can say that we like it here. We LOVE New York, but don't want to go back to live. Miami is sooooooo different from New York and the Spanish thing is really frustrating and hurtful. (We are Dominican). It gets better, trust me.
Thank you for understanding the main point of the story: all the other complaints are commonplace but the one about Hispanics being rude to another Hispanic - even for not knowing a few words of the local dialect - is the most striking aspect, to me at least: I had thought that complaints by anglo-residents of Miami about Hispanic rudeness were stereotypical, but this concrete example gave real life to those complaints.

I too thought he should stick it out, at least for a year, but he started talking about going into businesses that make more sense in the NY area than in Miami-Dade.

I also thought that coming to Miami, despite its shortcomings, is a relative "step up" in terms of quality of life compared to a crowded working class neighborhood in the Bronx or Queens, but each one has his own measure.

Finally, to be honest, in my view, your needing 2-4 years to accept Miami says a lot more about your views of the lack of quality of life in the Bronx than any virtues of Miami.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:39 PM

4 posts, read 14,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Thank you for understanding the main point of the story: all the other complaints are commonplace but the one about Hispanics being rude to another Hispanic - even for not knowing a few words of the local dialect - is the most striking aspect, to me at least: I had thought that complaints by anglo-residents of Miami about Hispanic rudeness were stereotypical, but this concrete example gave real life to those complaints.

I too thought he should stick it out, at least for a year, but he started talking about going into businesses that make more sense in the NY area than in Miami-Dade.

I also thought that coming to Miami, despite its shortcomings, is a relative "step up" in terms of quality of life compared to a crowded working class neighborhood in the Bronx or Queens, but each one has his own measure.

Finally, to be honest, in my view, your needing 2-4 years to accept Miami says a lot more about your views of the lack of quality of life in the Bronx than any virtues of Miami.

I'd like to take a moment to defend myself and all people who need more than a moment to adjust to life in Miami. While I agree that the quality of the housing is absolutely better in Miami, than my apartment in the Bronx, I have to point out that the roof over your head doesn't dictate your happiness.

Living in an apartment in NYC means seeing all your neighbors on your way to work in the morning and saying "Good Morning", Paying $63 a month (now it's $70) and being able to travel all over the city, going out for drinks and we can all drink because home is only a $8 cab ride away, your kids can walk to school, you actually talk to people because they can't all hide in their back yards, children don't have to be in school to make friends because they play in playgrounds with all the other neighborhodd children, there is always something free to do in the city, you can catch a Broadway show on a Tuesday night that won't cost you a weeks salary, a Yankee game is only a subway ride away, Jazz clubs in the Village, the 9th Avenue Annual food festival, Macys fireworks and the Macys Thanksgiving Day parade, Rye Playland, the Bronx Zoo and the Bronx Botanical Gardens, dinner at City Island on Saturdays, etc.

As long as I compared Miami to New York I was miserable. It took me 2 years to stop looking for replicas of all these things in my new hometown and make an effort to love Miami for Miami. It took another year to find replacements for all the things that I loved. So we made the first move with our neighbors and didn't allow them to hide from us in their backyards, we know enjoy Fairchild and Fruit & Spice Park, we are now looking to purchase a boat since the water is so close by (we live in Lakes by the Bay) and we love Spear Fishing, hanging out at the Sand bar, and snorkeling, we've discovered the smaller more intimate clubs around Miami, our kids are now old enough to drive to Boomers and enjoy the fair every year.

Accepting a new town after living your entire life in a different one is not easy. I am now proud to tout the virtues of both!

Old 08-05-2007, 09:31 PM

58 posts, read 228,898 times
I am glad to see that Yansa and LoveMiami also consider there to be various main points in Bale's post. Obviously, Bale can't even understand what is broken down for him in simple paragraphs, despite his need to put others down. I suggest Bale reread Yansa's first and second posts carefully. Particularly with regard to the second post, there is no mention of Hispanics anywhere.

It’s interesting how Bale writes in this thread after 10 long days only to attempt to create some weak argument.

Last edited by Valwpcc9w6; 08-05-2007 at 09:43 PM..

Old 08-19-2007, 02:21 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,401,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
My last two bosses both said that they have had issues with finding qualified personnel in the past. The Miami job pool isn't that great just because many of the great professionals in my field don't stay long in Miami and end up wither in LA, Chicago or New York. So what is left isn't great.

I totally understand where your friend is coming from, those that I have met that are hispanic but grew up in NY then move here. Don't like usually, just because of the third world mentality of many people down here. But like the other poster said Miami wasn't always like this, it really started to deteriate 10 years ago for some reason. Also many people that move here usually have only vacationed here a few times or are basing their decision on moving on what they remember as a kid or what they see on tv. Then they move here and realise what Miami truely is about.

There was a great article in Time Magazine last November about some of Miami's issues. There's Trouble--Lots Of It--in Paradise - TIME
this article is the plain truth ....thanks for it.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:25 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,570,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yansa9 View Post
I'd like to take a moment to defend myself and all people who need more than a moment to adjust to life in Miami. While I agree that the quality of the housing is absolutely better in Miami, than my apartment in the Bronx, I have to point out that the roof over your head doesn't dictate your happiness.

Living in an apartment in NYC means seeing all your neighbors on your way to work in the morning and saying "Good Morning", Paying $63 a month (now it's $70) and being able to travel all over the city, going out for drinks and we can all drink because home is only a $8 cab ride away, your kids can walk to school, you actually talk to people because they can't all hide in their back yards, children don't have to be in school to make friends because they play in playgrounds with all the other neighborhodd children, there is always something free to do in the city, you can catch a Broadway show on a Tuesday night that won't cost you a weeks salary, a Yankee game is only a subway ride away, Jazz clubs in the Village, the 9th Avenue Annual food festival, Macys fireworks and the Macys Thanksgiving Day parade, Rye Playland, the Bronx Zoo and the Bronx Botanical Gardens, dinner at City Island on Saturdays, etc.

As long as I compared Miami to New York I was miserable. It took me 2 years to stop looking for replicas of all these things in my new hometown and make an effort to love Miami for Miami. It took another year to find replacements for all the things that I loved. So we made the first move with our neighbors and didn't allow them to hide from us in their backyards, we know enjoy Fairchild and Fruit & Spice Park, we are now looking to purchase a boat since the water is so close by (we live in Lakes by the Bay) and we love Spear Fishing, hanging out at the Sand bar, and snorkeling, we've discovered the smaller more intimate clubs around Miami, our kids are now old enough to drive to Boomers and enjoy the fair every year.

Accepting a new town after living your entire life in a different one is not easy. I am now proud to tout the virtues of both!

great post yansa9 and the irony is I'm also from the metro NYC area & lived in Lakes By The Bay! however I moved to Miami as a kid so I adjusted better.
I remember a family of Dominicans who moved in next door & came here from New York and the daughter always complained how hot & humid it was in the summer! Which is funny because NYC can be oppressive in July & August as well.

By the way I'm now in Orlando which I despise. After the theme parks it is quite boring compared to Miami.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:54 PM

673 posts, read 2,681,598 times
[quote=LoveMiami;1180412]bale002,

What you talk is full of BS. New Yorkers are the rudest people around. cab drivers in NYC are the worst , all immigrants from pakistan, india, etc... They stink and they are rude as hell. They do not speak english as well.
I lived in Dade & Broward Counties my whole life. I moved out of the state 4 months ago. I have been to Manhattan 1 - 3 times per year for the past several years, and I beg to differ with you. I was nervous going there to begin with, but was pleasantly surprised at how nice people were. If I look lost in NY, someone always offers to give me directions. All the cab drivers I have encountered have been pretty nice, some exceptionally nice and helpful. I do not care whether they are from Pakistan, India, Mars, etc. If they do their job, that is all that matters. There haven't been any that were rude, just one that didn't say much at all to us & talked on his cell phone the whole time. In Miami, I find it rude if you walk into a store & people assume you speak Spanish. Then, when they realize you don't, they practically ignore you. If that's not rude, then I don't know what is.
In my opinion is if you are loser in Miami you will be loser in New York and other way around too.
You are making assumptions about someone here without even knowing him.
To blame Miami to be Miami is just your excuse for your miserable life in Miami. Please do not blame Miami and spanish people but look around yourself. It is YOU! It is not Miami, It is not New York. It is YOU! Something is not working in your life. And thats why you do not need to blame Miami.
People are entitled to their own opinions. I think your post is more negative than the original poster's.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:12 PM

110 posts, read 438,885 times
the truth hurts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami