Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 07:36 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,059,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlueBlue View Post
No they don't, they just say they do because the Beatles are a cultural icon, just like Coca-Cola. The music itself means nothing to them.
I don't like the Beatles. I don't like their sound. I do like some of John lennons and George Harrisons solo songs. Youhave to keep in mind that many people did not grow up listening to Music in English and some are too young they have never been exposed to anything before Britney Spears or Rihanna.

I don't think there is anything wrong with it. It's an industry and people live busy lives, so only what's mainstream is what most people know I only listened to CDs when I was a teenager but now I only listen to mainstream music.

I don't care to impress anybody with my good intellectual taste in music. If I like the lyrics or the beat, I don't care if the artists are the Eagles, Queen, Roberto Carlos, Enya, Pet Shop Boys, Noel, Tori Amos, Juanes, Celia Cruz, ABBA, Aventura or Daddy Yankee. And of course I'm gonna like more current artists because I've been more exposed to them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 07:58 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,192,944 times
You are right, people in the Caribbean and Central america tend to grow up listening to their native folklore. Too bad that's not the case south of the equator ( and yes, we can have a debate on this if you want to) and folklore is left for the native (marginalized) people. Down there it's nothing but rock (spanish or english), electronica, and musica villera (Rafaga), and some salsa. IDK about Brazil though - but I guess it's not that different.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:08 PM

749 posts, read 1,862,241 times
Quote:
No they don't, they just say they do because the Beatles are a cultural icon, just like Coca-Cola. The music itself means nothing to them.
The Beatles never toured South America but in recent years several South American rock bands have participated in Liverpool's Beatles festival.

Latin American bands rock Liverpool Beatles Festival - BeatlesNews.com

Old 12-06-2010, 02:19 PM

The Beatles were and still remain big in South America.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:05 PM

749 posts, read 1,862,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
The Beatles were and still remain big in South America.

I never meant to suggest otherwise. The Beatles are one of the world's most popular musical acts, period. So. America, Asia, Europe, etc.

I was recently at a live Salsa show in Los Angeles....the band did a cover of "And I Love Her"......and the band members were from both the U.S. and Central America.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post
I never meant to suggest otherwise. The Beatles are one of the world's most popular musical acts, period. So. America, Asia, Europe, etc.

I was recently at a live Salsa show in Los Angeles....the band did a cover of "And I Love Her"......and the band members were from both the U.S. and Central America.
My post had nothing to do with yours

Old 12-07-2010, 07:22 AM

2 posts, read 3,804 times
Quote:

Say what?

Please don't generalize.

I come from Cuban ancestry and have been a fan of the Beatles since the Anthology aired in 1995. During my adolescents after the anthology series wrapped up on ABC, my mom took me and my cousins to the old Deauville hotel (I forgot what it is renamed to presently) and just about went crazy over the place. I was a kid who had no notion of what was popular or what constituted as a "cultural icon" at that age. I just knew they had great music and have been a fan since. Favorite adolescent memory was mastering the guitar solo on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and "Here Comes the Sun"

(Also a Chick BTW.)

Old 12-07-2010, 11:37 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,933 times
Quote:

You obviously do not know what you are talking about ... Argentina , Chile and Uruguay have huge followings of Beatles fans and John Lennon especially due to his social meaning is an icon down there .

Old 12-07-2010, 12:13 PM

199 posts, read 475,778 times
I hate the Beatles and rock in general and prefer dance, electronica, industrial, 80's rock and some latin music. It is what it is and I am not sorry about it. I will add that the Beatles and rock are big in some parts of South America. Couldn't get away from it in Chile or Argentina. They mostly prefer it over the type of music I like. Some of the bands there were not bad either (for a Rock band). I also work with an older Cuban man who listens to the Beetles all the time (I have to put my earphones on then).

Old 12-07-2010, 04:46 PM

221 posts, read 452,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cimrk01 View Post

Say what?

Please don't generalize.

I come from Cuban ancestry and have been a fan of the Beatles since the Anthology aired in 1995. During my adolescents after the anthology series wrapped up on ABC, my mom took me and my cousins to the old Deauville hotel (I forgot what it is renamed to presently) and just about went crazy over the place. I was a kid who had no notion of what was popular or what constituted as a "cultural icon" at that age. I just knew they had great music and have been a fan since. Favorite adolescent memory was mastering the guitar solo on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and "Here Comes the Sun"

(Also a Chick BTW.)
You are part of the minority, like me, here in Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami