Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 06:43 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,200,080 times

Advertisements

Eastern Europe has lots of gypsy slums.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:25 AM

481 posts, read 943,712 times
I couldn't wade through all the posts, though I tried. But this thread reminds me of my 9 year old. She whines about how much she wants a particular toy. She gets the toy. Is excited for about a week and then the damn thing ends up on the shelf and is now "stupid and not cool". Of course the novelty wears off and nothing can stay on a pedestal and live up to our high expectatins forever. But not knowing this truism is expected from children...not adults.

I was born and raised in Miami. My whole family lives in SoFl. I know the ups and downs, but there is no placeI would rather be. We moved away for Grad school 12 years ago and since we have lived all around the country. AZ, AR, VA, CA, Northern Fl, and now the West Coast of Florida. Every place has it's highs and lows. I know what it's like to come into a new place expecting one thing and getting another. Especially when it's not home. It took me a lot of years living in other places to realize that whether a place was great or not was completely up to me and my willingness to see the good and not stereotype and generalize using the bad.

If you come to Miami with stars in your eyes and leave with daggers. Well maybe it's not Miami, but it's you?

Old 12-22-2010, 10:42 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
I couldn't wade through all the posts, though I tried. But this thread reminds me of my 9 year old. She whines about how much she wants a particular toy. She gets the toy. Is excited for about a week and then the damn thing ends up on the shelf and is now "stupid and not cool". Of course the novelty wears off and nothing can stay on a pedestal and live up to our high expectatins forever. But not knowing this truism is expected from children...not adults.

I was born and raised in Miami. My whole family lives in SoFl. I know the ups and downs, but there is no placeI would rather be. We moved away for Grad school 12 years ago and since we have lived all around the country. AZ, AR, VA, CA, Northern Fl, and now the West Coast of Florida. Every place has it's highs and lows. I know what it's like to come into a new place expecting one thing and getting another. Especially when it's not home. It took me a lot of years living in other places to realize that whether a place was great or not was completely up to me and my willingness to see the good and not stereotype and generalize using the bad.

If you come to Miami with stars in your eyes and leave with daggers. Well maybe it's not Miami, but it's you?
I don't know about that. Some places are not for everyone, its that simple. If the OP or whoever doesn't like a place, doesn't have anything to do with them being good, bad or ugly. That place just doesn't meet with their expectations in terms of quality of life. That is ok, it takes all sorts of people to make the world go round.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:49 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,200,080 times
This might sound embarrassing, but I still can't adapt to Miami. I don't hate Miami or the people, maybe I dislike some things about it, but that's it. It's just not my habitat.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:05 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,078,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABMER View Post
JM you will never be happy in Miami, it is what it is and will not change. I moved out of Florida two months ago becasue of very similar reasons. The sun, the beaches and the scenary will mean nothing after a while.

Why would you move out of Florida because you did not like Miami ... Florida is a large state and has other terrific places to live than are unlike Miami in many ways .... I have mentioned this before on these forums ... I will never understand why all of Florida is "thrown in " with Miami when negatives about Miami are mentioned on here ... it is a large state ... something like 21 st of the 50 states in area and fourth in population .

Go to NE Fla , the West Coast , The Panhandle ... even up the East Coast two hours and it is totally different from Miami .

Old 12-22-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I don't know about that. Some places are not for everyone, its that simple. If the OP or whoever doesn't like a place, doesn't have anything to do with them being good, bad or ugly. That place just doesn't meet with their expectations in terms of quality of life. That is ok, it takes all sorts of people to make the world go round.
I'm not going to disagree with you. But the title of this thread was "when the novelty fades (the painful truth about Miami)". If it had been called, "why I don't like Miami" or "Miami is just not for me" you would get no argument from me. However, to say that all this negative is the truth about an entire city because the person didn't get what they expected, to me is silly. There is no one truth.

Look, if a girl from Miami (me) can move to Arkansas and find the good and happiness there, then I have a hard time listening to someone whine about the "painful truth" of any town as if it is all smoke and mirrors and we are all just blinded by some fancy facade that is covering up nothing but "crackahoods" (whatever the heck that is) and the dregs of society.

Oh, and the original posters bit about being "lured by the Latin culture"? Que comica!

Old 12-22-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
This might sound embarrassing, but I still can't adapt to Miami. I don't hate Miami or the people, maybe I dislike some things about it, but that's it. It's just not my habitat.
I don't think that is embarrassing at all. I think it is well said.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:31 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,386,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
I'm not going to disagree with you. But the title of this thread was "when the novelty fades (the painful truth about Miami)". If it had been called, "why I don't like Miami" or "Miami is just not for me" you would get no argument from me. However, to say that all this negative is the truth about an entire city because the person didn't get what they expected, to me is silly. There is no one truth.

Look, if a girl from Miami (me) can move to Arkansas and find the good and happiness there, then I have a hard time listening to someone whine about the "painful truth" of any town as if it is all smoke and mirrors and we are all just blinded by some fancy facade that is covering up nothing but "crackahoods" (whatever the heck that is) and the dregs of society.

Oh, and the original posters bit about being "lured by the Latin culture"? Que comica!
Well said. Everyone has a right to their opinion, but these continual "PSA: Miami sucks!" threads are a bit overboard for me.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:58 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
My wife is the same way. She hates it here but we make the best of it.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:24 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,078,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Well said. Everyone has a right to their opinion, but these continual "PSA: Miami sucks!" threads are a bit overboard for me.

Agree they do become tiresome and make it a chore to access this forum .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami