Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 07:45 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times

Advertisements

JMlacysr I think this quote from another post of yours explains it all:

I moved from an upscale middle class predominately white neighborhood in Dallas to basically Little Haiti.

That quote above says it all so why did you bother even moving into that area if you knew it was dicey to begin with? Do you think your impressions would be different if you had moved to Surfside instead? It's not like Dallas doesn't have dicey areas either you know.
As for Miami just being Cubans & Haitians now you are just stereotyping since you know there are a multitude of cultures in the metro area. Perhaps what you are going through is culture shock since I'm sure the Mexicans in Dallas "know their place" if you know what I mean unlike in Miami where hispanics dominate. Instead of sour milk for you I prefer the term sour grapes! Merry Xmas by the way & hope you find what your looking for in SFL!

Last edited by MiamiRob; 12-16-2010 at 07:56 AM..

Old 12-16-2010, 07:59 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,326,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
Last week my car overheated because of traffic. I pulled over and ended up on a side street in Overtown. I've swam with sharks having a bloody nose, rode in hot air balloons, lived for months in mud huts in the jungles of central America with Indians, raced motorcycles at 140 mph but was more fearful of my safety just sitting in my car over there. I felt like a Stuart Cove bait box with the sharks circling closer at every pass. Spend some time in Overtown and I suspect you won't love Miami as "much". Lawless and in the bowels of desperation over there.
I'm sorry, but I just don't know how you would end up on an Overtown side street.

You really have to specifically go to Overtown to get to Overtown. There's few reasons anyone ever has to drive through Overtown to get some place.

If your car was overheating in traffic, why not just pull off on the side of whatever road you were on? There would have been people around and if there was traffic, nobody would be moving fast so you wouldn't have to worry too much about getting hit at high speeds.

I'm not saying I don't believe you, I just don't see how this could happen.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:00 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post

I moved from an upscale middle class predominately white neighborhood in Dallas to basically Little Haiti.

That quote above says it all so why did you bother even moving into that area if you knew it was dicey to begin with? Do you think your impressions would be different if you had moved to Surfside instead? It's not like Dallas doesn't have dicey areas either you know.
As for Miami just being Cubans & Haitians now you are just stereotyping since you know there are a multitude of cultures in the metro area. Perhaps what you are going through is culture shock since I'm sure the Mexicans in Dallas "know their place" if you know what I mean unlike in Miami where hispanics dominate. Instead of sour milk for you I prefer the term sour grapes! Merry Xmas by the way & hope you find what your looking for in SFL!
He stated before they we moved to the area they are in pretty much site on seen. Or if they did see it, it was VERY brief. I do think he is writing off miami without exploring living in other areas. It would be no different for him, had he moved into a lower income area in ft. lauderdae

Old 12-16-2010, 08:03 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,326,410 times
I think I should add, I remember before you were coming to Miami and asking questions about housing. IMO you made the move way too fast and didn't research the area enough before moving.

Even if the Surfside deal fell through, there are plenty of other places you could have moved to than Little Haiti.

I'm narrowing in on purchasing my condo downtown and have been doing so for almost two years now. I leave no stone unturned and am preparing myself for every possible scenario.

I'm not saying everyone has that luxury, but I just think you shouldn't have rushed it so much.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:26 AM

415 posts, read 1,666,498 times
JM, I would highly recommend looking at Fort Lauderdale or even West Palm Beach. I lived on Miami Beach for a year and had a great time. However, after a year I was ready to leave the craziness and live a more normal life. I really enjoy living in Fort Lauderdale for the past year and a half, but even now, I'm getting the urge to move further north or even out to the suburbs.

I don't think I would ever want to live in Miami again, but that is just my personal preference. I enjoy a more relaxed, calm, easier existance. A safe place I own where I can come home to at the end of a long, crazy day at work. Maybe I'm just getting old..

Old 12-16-2010, 08:27 AM

911 posts, read 1,714,102 times
Hey WS!

I was feeling spunky this morning so I thought I'd go off on Miami. I agree, like midtown better and the design district. I live in the hood here and not happy but you know that.

My son hit the nail on the head last week. We were down at that shopping center just south of 95 in midtown and Miami ave. He said, the place was nice, then qualified it by saying it's not really that nice just nice compared to everything else we have seen close.

I also think you so immunized to the run down areas where it's not such a shocker anymore. I find myself getting lulled into an acceptance of it all. I'm sure if I went back to Dallas, I would be shocked how nice things look there.

One of biggest problems I have is the workforce and culture here. Not race but the attitudes of the work culture. Here's a perfect example.

My washer and dryer has been out since we have been here as well as my dishwasher. The landlord finally called Home Depot and ordered machines with installation.

First they were supposed to call and set up a time. They didn't call, then lied about calling to the landlord. They were supposed to deliver it between 2-6. They showed up at 8:30. They said they could not install it because they could not get the unit out. My son and I got the unit out. Then they said they could not hook it up. My son and I hooked it up.

Next was the dishwasher. They told me they could not install it because of the wiring. Then they told my son is was because of a broken pipe. Of course it was neither, they just didn't want to do anything.

Our bathtub is stopped up. We have had 3 people over to unclog it. I still shower in shin high water here and they make excuses that are totally unrealistic or they claim they will send someone who never shows up.

It's the incompetence that blows my mind here. I just don't understand how they can get away with that attitude and that effects my lifestyle and adds frustration. You have to force any extra effort at all and when you do they get mad about having to do what they are supposed to do in the first place.

I did go to FTL last week to look for a new place. I think you read my post. It's on the radar next but I'll look very close next time. Even if I could have 20% better than what I have that would be an improvement. I'm not expecting perfection but at this point would accept anything close to tolerable limits.

I sensed something like this before we moved. I must have called 50 realtors in soflo from Dallas. Only 2 or 3 ever returned my phone call. I just don't get how anyone does any business here and one of those intangibles people don't discuss here. Even if they told me, I would have thought it was an isolated case, but I'm finding it's the norm.

It's all good, I'm not going anywhere today, just complaining about things I can't control.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:28 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
Hey WS!

I was feeling spunky this morning so I thought I'd go off on Miami. I agree, like midtown better and the design district. I live in the hood here and not happy but you know that.

My son hit the nail on the head last week. We were down at that shopping center just south of 95 in midtown and Miami ave. He said, the place was nice, then qualified it by saying it's not really that nice just nice compared to everything else we have seen close.

I also think you so immunized to the run down areas where it's not such a shocker anymore. I find myself getting lulled into an acceptance of it all. I'm sure if I went back to Dallas, I would be shocked how nice things look there.

One of biggest problems I have is the workforce and culture here. Not race but the attitudes of the work culture. Here's a perfect example.

My washer and dryer has been out since we have been here as well as my dishwasher. The landlord finally called Home Depot and ordered machines with installation.

First they were supposed to call and set up a time. They didn't call, then lied about calling to the landlord. They were supposed to deliver it between 2-6. They showed up at 8:30. They said they could not install it because they could not get the unit out. My son and I got the unit out. Then they said they could not hook it up. My son and I hooked it up.

Next was the dishwasher. They told me they could not install it because of the wiring. Then they told my son is was because of a broken pipe. Of course it was neither, they just didn't want to do anything.

Our bathtub is stopped up. We have had 3 people over to unclog it. I still shower in shin high water here and they make excuses that are totally unrealistic or they claim they will send someone who never shows up.

It's the incompetence that blows my mind here. I just don't understand how they can get away with that attitude and that effects my lifestyle and adds frustration. You have to force any extra effort at all and when you do they get mad about having to do what they are supposed to do in the first place.

I did go to FTL last week to look for a new place. I think you read my post. It's on the radar next but I'll look very close next time. Even if I could have 20% better than what I have that would be an improvement. I'm not expecting perfection but at this point would accept anything close to tolerable limits.

I sensed something like this before we moved. I must have called 50 realtors in soflo from Dallas. Only 2 or 3 ever returned my phone call. I just don't get how anyone does any business here and one of those intangibles people don't discuss here. Even if they told me, I would have thought it was an isolated case, but I'm finding it's the norm.

It's all good, I'm not going anywhere today, just complaining about things I can't control.
You have to remember though, im from Brooklyn. I have seen far worse run down places than anything Miami could ever offer. So on that front this place isn't really that bad. NYC is a place of true extremes. Some places (the rich ones) Miami could never compare to no matter how hard they try. Brooklyn Heights, Upper East Side, Clinton Hills, Sea Gate, Riverdale, etc. etc. Miami just can't compare on the upper scale to NY and it can't compare on the lower scale when it comes to filthy, disgusting and deplorable slums. So while I do see run down places here, it doesn't make me cringe.

As for the work ethic and business culture here. you have not seen anything yet. You and I run similar businesses. So let me just say, wait until you start explaining how C.R. law works to clients *sigh*

Old 12-16-2010, 09:39 AM

911 posts, read 1,714,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post

That quote above says it all so why did you bother even moving into that area if you knew it was dicey to begin with? Do you think your impressions would be different if you had moved to Surfside instead?
Hey Rob,

I think they would be different, yes. I think that, but don't know for sure. Maybe at least I wouldn't feel like I need a gun to go to the store at 11:00 PM.

We were stuck and had to rent a place online without being here. That's how we ended up in this place.

I don't have any problems with any race as long as they don't bowl up at me. Just show me some common courtesy as I show you and we'll get along great.

I don't agree with the multicultural claims of Miami proper. How many Hasidic Jews in Hialeah can you count on a given day? Go to Aventura and it's a different deal. My address and point of reference is inner core Miami, not suburb, FL.

As far as the differences between Cubans and Mexicans we can have that debate. I lived in far southern Mexico (state of Chiapas) and Guatemala for two years and lived in Corpus, San Antonio and Dallas for 30. I have a pretty good handle on Mexicans both repressed into the Texas culture and in their native land. Actually, I find I like Cubans in Miami better for the most part.

I will say this, last week I was in Hialeah on 36th talking on my cell phone. This panhandler approached me and when I didn't give them money they called me an a-hole. Whatever, that's not representable of the Cubans I have met here by and large. My son and I had Thankgiving with a wonderful Cuban family this year. They could cook stuffing worth eating but their hearts we in the right place.

As far as the blacks here vs. African Americans in Dallas, I much prefer the black people here by and large. Not only are they more educated here, they are much less angry about them being black and me being white.

Little Haiti does get rockin' over here on a Sunday night. You can hear them from my house. Not sure what they are saying but the tone is similar to the Black Panthers in Berkley, CA from the late 1960's. Yes, I lived there too.

Thanks for weighing in.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:53 AM

888 posts, read 887,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
I'm sorry, but I just don't know how you would end up on an Overtown side street.

You really have to specifically go to Overtown to get to Overtown. There's few reasons anyone ever has to drive through Overtown to get some place.

If your car was overheating in traffic, why not just pull off on the side of whatever road you were on? There would have been people around and if there was traffic, nobody would be moving fast so you wouldn't have to worry too much about getting hit at high speeds.

I'm not saying I don't believe you, I just don't see how this could happen.
I thought the same thing.
It probably was not Overtown.
Maybe it was at Park West at feeding time.
They do get a little anxious there from time to time.

Unless he gives an exact street address where he was when the car overheated and where he drove following that, there's no credibility in his story.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:10 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,110,059 times
Jlacy

You wrote:

That explains all.
Problem is that there are no upscale "middle class" predominately "white" neighborhoods in Miami.
Middle class "white neigborhoods" (as per your classification) disappeared a long time ago.
There are pockets of "white" neighborhoods, but they are either high middle class or low middle class.
Some people here mentioned Aventura as an upscale predominantly "white" neighborhood, but I don't think it's middle class.
I lived in Kendall when it was a "upscale middle class predominately white neighborhood", but now is middle class-rich Hispanic neighborhood.
Just my opinion.

Last edited by Manolón; 12-16-2010 at 10:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami