Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 06:56 PM

13 posts, read 216,907 times

Advertisements

I have interviews for a job in Miami (Doral) and a job in Key West. Both jobs pay $80k-$90k per year. I've visited Miami a few times. I've never been to Key West. Help me decide which area is best for me.

I'm engaged with no kids, so it will be just me and my wife. We can fit in a 500 sq ft studio in Key West. But we could probably get a nice 2 bedroom apartment in Miami for the same price.

She's from Nicaragua, and I used to live in Central America. So we love Latin culture. I know we'll find plenty of hispanics in Miami. How about in Key West?

I'm addicted to the water. I can't wait to go scuba diving and kayaking every week. I'd love to learn how to sail. Is the diving decent in Miami?

What about things to do? Miami's has world-class nightlife, of course. Is there much to do after dark in Key West?

One last thing: my fiancee doesn't drive. When I'm not around she'll get around by bike or bus. Is there decent mass transit in Miami? Or is a car necessary?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 07:10 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
The fact that you may have a decent paying job before you get here is going to make all the difference. You can survive in both places on those salaries.

Miami does have a Latin culture, for sure, pretty much saturated with Latin culture. If that's what you want, Miami may be right for you.

If you're more laid back, Key West would be better for you.

You can do all the activities you listed in both places although I think the Keys would be far more fascinating to do some scuba diving and snorkeling than Miami.

Key West is very laid back. It looks run down in many areas but most people are just humble and don't care about keeping up with the Joneses. You'll find some really great people there. It can get expensive and in tourist season....wow, it's a little slow getting around. If your wife is going to bike or walk, Key West is much easier to get around. I don't know about their bus system, (do they have a bus system? I have no idea), but it's almost pointless to have a car at times.

Miami does have a night life...a very expensive night life. South Beach...do it at least once to say you did but it's really over rated and way over priced. There are other places up the beach that can still give you a pleasant time out but it's not going to be crazy and loud like South Beach, necessarily.

Either way, if you choose Miami, it takes about 3 hours, (roughly), to get to Key West. If you choose Key West, 3 hours to Miami so you can do both.

If I had a job lined up in Key West for that salary, I'd choose Key West but, that's personal preference. It all depends on what you want.

Come down and visit, see which one appeals to you more. Great excuse for a vacation anyway.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:13 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,326,410 times
Miami, hands down, seeing as how your fiance is from Nicaragua. If you love Latin culture, you'll fit right in Miami.

There is of course plenty to do in Key West after dark... but again, Miami has your name written all over it.

If she doesn't drive and doesn't plan on starting, you'll want to find something close to Metromover or Metrorail, the train systems in Miami. There is also a bus system, but it is far less reliable than the Metros.

You can see where the Metro lines are by using this map,
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...ca81186da5da3a

(the purple line is Tri-Rail which is the commuter rail line. It would be possible to live along that; however, trains are not frequent like they are on the Metro systems)

Old 03-01-2011, 07:15 PM

Gator, Key West does have a bus system.

You can actually get down there from Miami very cheap... around $5 or so, via public transit. There's an express route from Florida City that goes directly to Marathon and then another bus to get from Marathon to Key West.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:24 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Gator, Key West does have a bus system.

You can actually get down there from Miami very cheap... around $5 or so, via public transit. There's an express route from Florida City that goes directly to Marathon and then another bus to get from Marathon to Key West.
Now that you mention it, I remember someone talking about that one time. I've never used it so forgot about it.

How long does it take to get there? I suppose because it's express it doesn't make a lot of stops so maybe almost the same as in a car?

Old 03-01-2011, 07:33 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,478,444 times
I vote Miami. If the wife doesn't drive, getting around Miami Beach is very easy by foot or by bus. Everything is close, everything you need on a day to day basis is conveniently located on the Beach. The weather is slightly better than Miami, there are less bugs, it's safer, nicer every way superior to Miami if you can afford it. You can go to Miami for big box shopping when needed. The Beach is a much much nicer place to live day to day.

Key West would probably be a nice place to have a weekend getaway. But for the three years I lived on Miami Beach, I never felt the urge to go anywhere else. I always used to say "Go where? I'm already HERE!" I don't know what more a person can ask for than all there is to offer on MB. So anyways, that's my 2 cents.

The one last thing I'll reiterate is my opinion is life on the island is a world of difference from life on the mainland. Once I left the mainland (lived there for 4 months), I never went back (to live). Remember that.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:44 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,268,861 times
coconut1: tell me more about this bus.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:53 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,553 times
Im interested about this bus too. Can they take bikes on board?.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:02 PM

Route 301, the Dade Monroe Express. It departs the FL City Wal-Mart and has 4 total stops, one in Key Largo, one in Tavernier, one in Islamorada, and then finally one in Marathon.

From MM 50 in Marathon you then transfer to the Lower Keys Shuttle which gets you to Key West. All LKS buses stop in New Town at Sears, only 2 per day head directly to Old Town.

More on the LKS Shuttle is here,
http://www.keywestcity.com/egov/docs...374_485168.pdf

More on the Dade Monroe Express is here,
Miami-Dade County - Transit - Route Details

Total is LKS- $3.00 + $2.00 Metrobus fare = $5.00 from FL City to Key West.

Bikes are not permitted on the MD Express, unfortunately.

Gator, I've mentioned it before here. A couple I know took a winter and sailed on their boat around the Keys. They took the route multiple times to get back to Miami for cheaper supplies.

Mass transit is great, no?

Old 03-01-2011, 10:54 PM

163 posts, read 316,532 times
They are both quite different. My vote is for miami. Key west is a great place to visit, but it is very isolated. I wouldn't want to live their unless i was retired. There is night life, lots of cool places...but its an older crowd for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami