Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 07:11 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,894,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
why is that
You are going to get the "nobody speaks English and crime is high" thing. Ignore it, your not moving here. Miami Beach is nothing like that. Well, except the crime...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 07:18 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,294 times
jesse the best time is November through April..the weather is cooler & no hurricane threats. Also since you're from LA don't bother with the "crime" issue unless for certain areas that have already been mentioned above. The Miami area has some of the best shopping in all of the US. Also do realize that the winter season is also the most popular time with tourists.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:46 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,337,794 times
My mom used to live and Tampa, but then she moved out here. She said the winters could get very cold, but is that common enough that i should worry about it or not. b/c i don't want to come to FL during the summer b/c i'm not used to humidity and wouldn't like it.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:10 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,642,682 times
I would say March or April might be a good time to come. Judging by the last four winters or so in Miami, it doesn't really get cold anymore (global warming, perhaps?), and if it does, it is maybe for a morning or two, but not like a week at a time.

I would recommend going to Key West and the other keys, as there is nothing else like it in the continental US. The drive is down a two-lane road, but it is a mostly a straight road, often with water on both sides of you (some places, it is just like the road and some mangroves, and that's it, the rest is water) as well as the Seven Mile Bridge that takes you between islands. It is a long drive and you have to be very alert while driving it, since it is the only road going in and out of the keys and can be dangerous. However, I would say you should plan to stay a few days in the keys, because they are unique, and much more of a tropical, laid back atmosphere that Miami itself. The Florida Keys are beautiful, and they are the only thing I miss about living in Miami (other than my parents and friends, of course).

Old 07-25-2007, 09:27 AM

15 posts, read 48,451 times
The best time to come to Miami I think is late January/early February. The weather is simply perfect most of the time. No rain, humidity falls to very comfortable levels and Miami Beach is PACKED with the most amazing bikini-clad european, south american and even domestic hotties you are ever going to see in one place!

And at night they all get drunk and it becomes a free-for-all in the clubs. That's the one thing no one can deny about Miami Beach...it's one of the best places to party in the world.

And what's all this about 7 hours and dangerous? First, if he's staying in Miami it's more like 3 and a half hours (as long as you don't go on the weekend, when the locals clog up the road) and it's a freaking two lane highway like any other, except it's got those amazing views of the ocean.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:37 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times
Remember, you do not have to go all the way to Key West. There are a lot of tourist traps along the way, and Key Largo is about 1 hour from Miami unless there is an accident, or the drawbridge is up and down. I am looking forward to the new bridge and US-1!

Old 07-25-2007, 09:39 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,299,663 times
The last few years we've experienced a relatively cold patch around Thanksgiving, meaning in the 50s in the early morning, though still warming up later in the day. Actually it might be ideal weather for walking around to see touristy things, not so for lying on the beach.

Mannye is right, late January/early February for the ideal weather, but the trade-off is heavy crowds.

So late November/December for relatively cooler weather and before the heavy crowds, late January/February for ideal weather with the crowds.

As someone has already mentioned, you could try late March/early April when the snowbirds start to leave, but before Easter break - you'll have to check the calendar - offering rather nice beach weather and just before it gets too hot to walk around to see the touristy things.

Anyway, have fun!

Old 07-25-2007, 09:42 AM

564 posts, read 1,900,145 times
Nevermind the nay sayers, jessemh431.

Miami is a beautiful place to visit. The main attraction for sure is the beach! Miami Beach is nice, I also love Fort Lauderdale's beach. For a more "local" feel, I can also recommend Hollywood's beach, Hallandale Beach, and Haulover beach. Careful with Haulover, though, since the northern part is considered clothing optional!

I think you'd enjoy a drive to Key West, it is a very beautiful drive! Key West itself doesn't really offer all that much more than Miami, but it is an interesting town.

PM me if you have any questions.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:42 AM

136 posts, read 481,452 times
Default Anytime between October and March

I think that any time between October and March is a good time to visit Miami. The weather is much more pleasant, and the rainy season (summer) is over. So, you'll be treated to beautiful, mostly cloudless blue skies, and comfortable weather.

I would have to disagree with the suggestion of staying in Fort Lauderdale. The whole reason people want to visit this region is because they've seen MIAMI (especially Miami Beach) on TV, the movies, etc. If you want to visit down here based on things you've seen on TV and in the movies, then if you visit Fort Lauderdale, I'm afraid you'll probably be disappointed because it's not what you'll be expecting.

If you stay on Miami Beach, for instance, you'll be able to walk along Ocean Drive and Lincoln Road, both of which are major draws for people, and both of which are very near the Beach. You probably won't even need to use a car. Fort Lauderdale really doesn't offer the same type of environment.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:15 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,894,521 times
I agree with the above. Go with Miami Beach unless you really want a BEACH vacation, as in centered around the beach itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami