Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 05:19 PM

221 posts, read 453,446 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I have something to say, some feelings I need to express. I do not know anyone here, I do not expect you to know me. I just need write out some thoughts and feelings at this point in time, I'm not expecting to get anything out of anyone from this. Just get my mind some rest.

I've lived Miami all my life, I'm currently in college here. I've never really fit in to the what seems the majority crowd around here. Partying, drinking, drugs are some things I've never seen the need to get into. However, this has left me isolated as I've seen it hard to find friends outside of these circles.

I'm an honest, responsible, caring human being. I've found it hard to find similar people of my age around here interested in friendship. This has also left me lonely.

My social skills are decent, I smile, I always keep a pleasant, friendly demeanor. I can hold a conversation. I've joined clubs, I've tried meeting people everywhere.

I still find myself alone, more so than ever before. And as this spring break dawns upon me, I feel alone in a world where every other college student is having fun with his friends. At the point in my life where I should be having the time of my life. I'm not. I'm just here, sitting on a computer, withering away, no idea what to do, pondering how to resolve my misery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 05:51 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
Read "Bowling Alone".

You should consider yourself lucky, in my opinion, most people are "friends" with someone for a benefit, or gain, once that gain is over, so are you.

True ties have to be made through real means, real struggles and commonality, not "hey let's go drink beer and talk to chicks" BS.

An example of this is there are many people in the military and police force that end up having life long bonds with someone they worked with, they had something more deep in common and experience than a simple college class or cheap community volunteering event.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:52 PM

415 posts, read 1,666,836 times
Have you tried volunteering? Maybe at a animal shelter? That could be a good way to meet quality, good hearted people.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:27 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,270,422 times
You simply won't find what you're looking for here. This place is weird. There are no subcultures there are very few types of people here. If you are young i suggest you get out. you will have lots more fun elsewhere. i came here to live a quiet peaceful life and indulge in my interests. i was never a socialite and never cared much for people anyway but this place taught me to really hate them. strangely i find when i go somewhere else i am incredibly interesting to people and everyone wants to get to know me and i get along well with everyone.

but not here.

but at the same time perhaps what makes me interesting is my adventures here in this place.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:33 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,065,382 times
Get married

Old 03-12-2011, 09:05 PM

33 posts, read 71,741 times
Blue, I sympathize with you. I am in the exact same situation as you described. I never understood Miami. So I gave up trying to understand Miami and decided to enjoy my life the way I want, not what everyone is doing. I focused on my studies, my diet and training, and started to try many new things regardless what anyone says. Screw the naysayers! I haven't felt so free since doing that.

Start enjoying what you do and sooner or later you'll meet someone.

Maybe you, me and Forever lonely guy should go grab drinks someday.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:07 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,911,809 times
BlueBlueBlue, I kind of get where you are coming from. I have a very small amount of friends and they all party, which isn't something I'm into, but I do drink once and a while.

Being college aged in Miami and not being into partying can be quite interesting, because you really notice how many people are into cocaine, pills, and being too hungover to care about classes.

I have a question. What if you had a few decent people around your age to hang out with, what activities would you want to do? Hobbies? Places you would want to spend time with others?

Old 03-12-2011, 09:10 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,911,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribble85 View Post
Blue, I sympathize with you. I am in the exact same situation as you described. I never understood Miami. So I gave up trying to understand Miami and decided to enjoy my life the way I want, not what everyone is doing. I focused on my studies, my diet and training, and started to try many new things regardless what anyone says. Screw the naysayers! I haven't felt so free since doing that.

Start enjoying what you do and sooner or later you'll meet someone.

Maybe you, me and Forever lonely guy should go grab drinks someday.
I want to come! But with a name like forever lonely guy, well that sounds a bit scary...

Old 03-13-2011, 04:28 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,203,861 times
FOREVER LONELY GUY??? what the!!!?

It's FOREVER ALONE guy!!!

Old 03-13-2011, 04:30 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,203,861 times
You guys should watch Welcome to the NHK, an animated series that follows the life of a hikikomori.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami