Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 01:03 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,191,580 times

Advertisements

You got to hand it to Thomas Jefferson, he is my cougar advisor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 01:09 AM

609 posts, read 1,139,059 times
I love cougars....lol

Old 05-08-2011, 06:03 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,106,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson View Post
For them, it was normal. You have to understand and analyze it from different perspective. Those people were born like that and for them the whole coloreud bathroom and KKK was like taking a leak. In somehow and someway I could understand them. At least those who were not violent or confrontational about it. Danger zone! I know. But when one grows up following certain norms is difficult to think outside the box because you do not have a reference. Just look at how the German youth back in the 1930s followed a crazy man like Hittler. Homo Sapiens are strange creatures.

That's why from time to time you have to remember to the people who haven't live the suffering of others what was left out of the picture or video. Yes Miami back then was a paradise if you were White!

----

Miami was Miami Beach, several stores at the Downtown area (Sears and Burdines), Hialeah Race Track, alligators at the Everglades and the rest was a Hick Town and a Sheriffdom with some Jewish spots.

I guess it was paradise for American vacationers and for mafiosi (MB) and for Cubans that came shopping in droves (a lot of ferries daily and many flights), but not so much of a paradise for poor and low middle class Americans living in the Southwest and Hialeah. It was a s.h.i.t.h.o.l.e for blacks since it was a Southern Hick Town except Miami Beach that tolerated Jews (not everywhere). Miami Beach was a Sun Down town. Afrocuban musics were the only blacks that could sleep in MB during a few days.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:40 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
I LOVE THAT MAP!!
The only areas of the world I'm really interested in fall into the Af regions.
I noticed that climate can vary greatly within classifications. I never thought Medellin and Miami were both Am. I thought Miami had mire in common with Tampa and than Medellin. Miamis weather is unpleasant and it takes a toll on some vegetation during the winter and summer months Medellin is very pleasant, most people dont need air conditioner and it is usually around 72 degrees and you never feel the humidity even during the hottest days when it can reach low 80's Also the tempereature there never drops below the 60's I wish we had a place like that in the USA.

And Tampa's climate same as Philadelphia and NYC? No way, half of NYC would be in Tampa if that were the case That's strange too. I guess there are too many climates in this world.

Old 05-08-2011, 02:34 PM

119 posts, read 312,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Sad times. It's always amazing how people forget the segregation and racism of those times

I've always wondered what people thought back then. Did white people think it was wrong? Did most people not even think about it all? Were they just too afraid to speak up?

we want to go back to them so we can live in piece

Old 05-08-2011, 04:04 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,405,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American1476 View Post
we want to go back to them so we can live in piece

Miami doesn't need you. America doesn't need you.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:15 PM

66 posts, read 63,515 times
Quote:
Sad times. It's always amazing how people forget the segregation and racism of those times
All that historical footage of Miami, and all you can think of is "racism". That's sad.

Do you have something against white people? They're all gone now, so you wont have to worry.

Quote:
I've always wondered what people thought back then. Did white people think it was wrong? Did most people not even think about it all? Were they just too afraid to speak up?
Back then everyone was happier, even blacks had it better, because there was no such shameful place as MLK drive. Blacks actually had families and a majority of black children (66%) had fathers, as opposed to less than a third now. Segregation is a natural phenomena and when government intrudes into the real estate market, disasters happen. Look how Miami self-segregated itself even after the government's ill advised attempt to mix everyone together in the late 1960's...

Old 05-08-2011, 04:23 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,405,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Trader View Post
All that historical footage of Miami, and all you can think of is "racism". That's sad.

Do you have something against white people? They're all gone now, so you wont have to worry.

Back then everyone was happier, even blacks had it better, because there was no such shameful place as MLK drive. Blacks actually had families and a majority of black children (66%) had fathers, as opposed to less than a third now. Segregation is a natural phenomena and when government intrudes into the real estate market, disasters happen. Look how Miami self-segregated itself even after the government's ill advised attempt to mix everyone together in the late 1960's...

Old 05-08-2011, 04:24 PM

66 posts, read 63,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
----
Afrocuban musics were the only blacks that could sleep in MB during a few days.

Now we have 'Urban Beach Week'...where restaurants and stores close down due to theft and at least one homicide occurs per year.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:44 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times

YouTube - Wonders of Miami Beach, 1964

The best video yet and this was the year of the Civil Rights Act
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami