Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 11:38 AM

2 posts, read 7,511 times

Advertisements

Hello all, thinking about taking a job in Homestead. Currently living in Los Angeles so I know all about traffic and over priced homes. Was wondering what areas you all would suggest for low crime, good schools etc. Just looking for clean safe middle to upper middle class living. thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 12:02 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,642,682 times
It will really help to know your price range.

I will say East Kendall, Pinecrest, Palmetto Bay. My father works in Homestead and commutes from East Kendall (where I grew up) and it's not too bad of a drive. You would have to take a toll road, however, from all of these places. Schools are decent (by Miami-Dade County standards) in these areas and the neighborhoods are safe.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:53 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times
west of Homestead or the Redlands. Much closer than Kendall.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:20 PM

2 posts, read 7,511 times
I would like to stay under $500k and get a pool. is that obtainable. how bad would the commute be from the Hollywood/Lauderdale area??????

Old 08-10-2007, 05:05 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,303,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmall33 View Post
I would like to stay under $500k and get a pool. is that obtainable. how bad would the commute be from the Hollywood/Lauderdale area??????
Tiy can find houses for $400k in Homestead. Houses West of Homestead cost more but you get actual land with them too.
The commute from Hollywood would be an hour to an hour and 15 minutes. You don't want to do that.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:32 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
Quote:
Commuting from Homestead to Hollywood/Ft. Lauderdale. Depending on what time you are commuting, if you are commuting during rush hour from Homestead probably close to hour and a half to two hours. Without traffic an hour at least if not more (driving like a crazy person I just did drive that trip from Kendall to FLL airport in 45 minutes so add at least 15 minutes from Homestead) If I were you live closer to your work.

You can find something under 500k with a pool forsure.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:53 AM

127 posts, read 431,728 times
live in homestead, its a great area. lots of nice new rental homes and lots for sale. its outside of the hustle of miami. no need to put yourself through the grief of crossing miami to get to work.

Old 08-12-2007, 01:11 PM

8 posts, read 29,272 times
Default Schools/Crime

Homestead definitely has some nice houses. I'm headed to Homestead to work in the next several months.

Aren't schools and crime the problem in Homestead? I've been looking at Pinecrest and Palmetto Bay due to schools, crime etc. Am i on the wrong track here? I have one in High School, one in Middle and one in Elementary.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:12 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,850 times
Quote:
Hello all, thinking about taking a job in Homestead. Currently living in Los Angeles so I know all about traffic and over priced homes. Was wondering what areas you all would suggest for low crime, good schools etc. Just looking for clean safe middle to upper middle class living. thanks in advance.
That's strange... we used to have another member on here named 'Cixel' who moved to Homestead from L.A....

Anyway, check out the area for yourself. Homestead is not the greatest area, it has some bad sections, the crime isn't low, and the schools are bad (Homestead High School might be the worst in Dade), but you can probably find a nice new house around the city. They're building new houses in unincorporated western Dade, south of Doral, that are very close to Homestead. Consider looking into one of them.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:21 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
Not sure if there is a crime issue in Homestead as I don't live there. As far as schools they are ok, nothing to talk about. South Dade HS is getting a brand new state of the art school soon as it is being built right now (not sure when it will open 2008-2009 school year?). The best public HS in Miami-Dade is Coral Reef HS (a magnet school you need to be accepted to get in) and the next then is Palmetto Senior High.

The main issue in the Homestead area is the quality of people in Homestead for the most part. The area is getting better I have to say, but there is still a lot of migrant workers and low class people in the area to be honest. But many new people have moved into the new homes in the last couple years, which should help change the area some. Try the Redlands there is a higher quality of people in that area and you would be close to Homestead. Hell the Bacardi family has a home in the Redlands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami