Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 12:49 PM

921 posts, read 1,132,322 times

Advertisements

Congratulations!!
You're giving me an idea. I'm trying to flee away from this crazy DC Metro Area!

Old 12-10-2011, 01:03 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
I would take Delray and Boca any day over Miami, and I am someone who likes Miami. It is just not feasible for me to live up there right now as I work in Brickell, I like walking next door to my office.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:15 PM

380 posts, read 961,943 times
I'm seriously considering moving north maybe to the border. Miami is a love it or hate it place, I think its been know that way for a while?

Old 12-10-2011, 01:30 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times
Glad to see someone who hates Miami doing well =D. As for myself, I only have 9 more months of prison time in Miami before I can finally move out!

Old 12-10-2011, 03:38 PM

911 posts, read 1,714,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I would take Delray and Boca any day over Miami, and I am someone who likes Miami.
Of course you would. It's where the smart people live in south Florida, other than Brickell.

I don't want to go on and on about it, other than to say, I can eat t-bone steak in Delray for nearly the price of ground beef in Miami.

I can go kite boarding at Delray beach, park free downtown. I hear please, thank you and excuse me all the time and I've yet to see anyone turn right from the left hand lane.

The public boat ramps are not crowded and are free. We have countless lakes up here, plus the intercoastal and the beach, and if you are a Tennis player, Delray may be the Tennis court capitol of the world.

I started out looking at cites from north of Hollywood to Lake Worth. I looked east of 95 one week and west the next. My possible list came down to 3, then two, then one. I must have looked at nearly 100 rentals in those two weeks but I did that so I would know where it felt most like a place I wanted to stay.

The question was, where can I find a pleasant, affordable, and fun lifestyle in south Florida and my best answer was East Delray.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:43 PM

102 posts, read 231,849 times
To the original poster .

We love Delray . I originally found it when I first moved to Florida 35 years ago in my quest for a great surfing spot close to Miami with better waves . Over time I saw the place develop but it still retains some of the upscale beach town family atmosphere .
It almost reminds be of some of the California beach towns liike Santa barbara or Coronado in its general layout .

I go there often . The parking is ideal , the showers wash the sand off and I love Bostons particularly on Sunday nights when they have a Grateful Dead tribute band or sports game . Going there feels like a mini vaction and hands down the beach itself is the best in this 100 mile area .

The ONLY reason I haven't moved there is that if i ever move at my age .. i am opting for Sothern California but in terms of Florida .. you pickeda great place . In fact I do like that its close enough to both Miami and lauderdale to have the quiet beach home yet can drive 30-45 minutes and make a nearby outing .

Congrats on move !!

Old 12-10-2011, 04:07 PM

932 posts, read 1,177,816 times
Congrats JM. I seem to remember recommending Delray to you quite some time ago. It's a nice town, far from the chaos of Miami. You also have the Blue Anchor Pub on your doorstep and several antique stores.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrralis1 View Post
To the original poster .

We love Delray . I originally found it when I first moved to Florida 35 years ago in my quest for a great surfing spot close to Miami with better waves . Over time I saw the place develop but it still retains some of the upscale beach town family atmosphere .
It almost reminds be of some of the California beach towns liike Santa barbara or Coronado in its general layout .

I go there often . The parking is ideal , the showers wash the sand off and I love Bostons particularly on Sunday nights when they have a Grateful Dead tribute band or sports game . Going there feels like a mini vaction and hands down the beach itself is the best in this 100 mile area .

The ONLY reason I haven't moved there is that if i ever move at my age .. i am opting for Sothern California but in terms of Florida .. you pickeda great place . In fact I do like that its close enough to both Miami and lauderdale to have the quiet beach home yet can drive 30-45 minutes and make a nearby outing .

Congrats on move !!
You're right on all counts, except I would rather live in Santa Barbara or Carmel but that commute to Florida would be killer.

Distance was another consideration. I like visiting Miami and go there to work at times and I go to the keys once or twice a month. I'm taking a few days in Key west in two weeks. I didn't want to go too far north but had to go far enough north to find a better day to day lifestyle.

There is a demarcation line of crazy and considerably less so and that line is just north of Hollywood. That much I knew, the pleasant surprise was I could live in Delray and if I want to go to a Heats game, I'm still just 40 minutes away.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
Congrats JM. I seem to remember recommending Delray to you quite some time ago. It's a nice town, far from the chaos of Miami. You also have the Blue Anchor Pub on your doorstep and several antique stores.
Thanks man. I was going to PM you and tell you about my move.

It is a nice town. Downtown now is all up in Xmas lights, they have the ice rink up and the tree. It's not "the tree" and ice rink at Rockefeller center but it's the thought that counts.

I've met a lot of genuinely nice people here. It's affluent but not as opulent and I don't sense that all about me attitude I did in Miami.

The people who work in the stores are much more helpful and pleasant, and they seem to like their jobs regardless of how menial. People have fun even at work here. The people I've spoken with here seem to Love living in Delray.

The number of shadowy figures has been reduced dramatically. Delray has been touted as the halfway house capitol of south Florida but I haven't seen strong evidence of that so far. I haven't been panhandled even once compared to nearly every single time I left the house in Miami.

It's a different deal up here and much more to my liking. You and I know the deal on Miami and why we left. We were not the first to come and go and won't be the last.

The good news is I didn't have to go as far as you did to find a life within tolerable limits and that's all I wanted out of Miami. Miami wasn't tolerable living day to day and I wondered if I could even find it here.

I even remember the low point. I was miserable in Miami and felt like I made a terrible mistake moving to Florida at all. One day I had to go to Fort Lauderdale for the first time and stopped on 17th street and sat out and drank coffee at starbucks. It dawned on me, not everywhere in south florida is like Miami and there's still a chance I can stay in Florida if I find the right place. That moment at Starbucks turned despair into hope and then it was a matter of waiting out our lease and making the right move.

Miami raped, pillaged and changed me. I'm still dancing with that devil and still paying for my life in Miami but there will be an end to it. The good news is, that end will come and I don't have to live in Miami to end it.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:37 PM

2,226 posts, read 5,110,059 times
JM

I'm absolutely certain that you will hate Delray in a couple of months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami