Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 04:12 PM

Location: Downtown Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill,Homestead for now
512 posts, read 1,225,593 times

Advertisements

WSVN-TV 7NEWS Video

Something need to be done. I think we Floridian need to contact our representatives to do something... Maybe have a rally enough is enough all these hit-and-run and they are not doing crap. This story made me so so sad.
Rally to Stop Hit-and-run. Maybe we can email them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 04:49 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,012,266 times
With small budgets cities and states are facing these days I don't see more officers hitting the streets. With that said I guess the next best thing is stricter traffic laws and enforcement. Especially on residential streets. Maybe speeding or careless and wreck less driving fines and penalties should be worse when done on city streets instead of highways.

DUI penalties should be very strict and severe.

But one thing that I think would really help. Make the driving test HARDER MUCH HARDER the driving test I took 6years ago when I was 16 was an absolute joke. Easiest thing I have ever done! You don't even need to parallel park! That alone would help fail people who should not be driving. The test should be forced to be on the street and on a track. On the track which could just be a large parking lot the driver should need to do emergency stops.

And one last thing which does not have to do with hit and runs much but certainly with safe highway driving enforce left lane passing slow drivers right lane law. If people drove on the highway the right way it would be much easier and safer. Driving on the turnpike up north is so much easier and safer because the majority of people understand left to pass right to crusie concept. Traffic flows well and safely.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:20 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,466,347 times
The problem is people in Miami/South Florida really don't care about the law. They know that there are so few cops on the road that they can get away with driving 50 mph down a 30mph street. Its not like driving in the North Florida where those small towns live off those speeders that pass through town and have nothing else to do other than right tickets. Miami cops are busy. Thankfully eventually the cops do find these idiots that leave the scene of the accident. I have a wife of a Coral Gables cop that flies down my street ever day, its to the point the neighbors on the street have all noticed. And this is a wife of a cop, she knows what the speed limit is.

I have noticed that more people are doing the move over law, usually its a tourist or out of state tag that doesn't move over. I would like to see all people without insurance off the road as well. Making the driving test harder wouldn't hurt as I swear some people on South Florida roads shouldn't be behind the wheel. We probably need to have the test given much more frequently to every one, every 10 years at least.

The bottom line is people need to slow down (but not too slow as some people drive so slow on I-95 they cause problems with the flow of traffic) and we need to pay attention to the road.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
The problem is people in Miami/South Florida really don't care about the law. They know that there are so few cops on the road that they can get away with driving 50 mph down a 30mph street. Its not like driving in the North Florida where those small towns live off those speeders that pass through town and have nothing else to do other than right tickets. Miami cops are busy. Thankfully eventually the cops do find these idiots that leave the scene of the accident. I have a wife of a Coral Gables cop that flies down my street ever day, its to the point the neighbors on the street have all noticed. And this is a wife of a cop, she knows what the speed limit is.

I have noticed that more people are doing the move over law, usually its a tourist or out of state tag that doesn't move over. I would like to see all people without insurance off the road as well. Making the driving test harder wouldn't hurt as I swear some people on South Florida roads shouldn't be behind the wheel. We probably need to have the test given much more frequently to every one, every 10 years at least.

The bottom line is people need to slow down (but not too slow as some people drive so slow on I-95 they cause problems with the flow of traffic) and we need to pay attention to the road.
Well said!

I agree that people have been moving over or slowing down and it is great to see most motorist at least care about some law. FHP has done a great job getting the word across with that law. I agree with you that "City" cops don't care so much for traffic laws. This is for two reasons obviously they are busy and a 2nd is traffic stops are very dangerous things for officers to do. City cops are in high crime areas more often making it even more dangerous.

You make a great point about the small towns. We see that here in Miami also: Biscayne Park, Bal Harbor, Surfside, Bay Harbor, Golden Beach, Sunny Isles. These places have cops pretty much doing traffic enforcement only. Locals realize this and speeding is not something I see often in those cities. Problem is Miami PD and Miami-Dade PD or BSO just do not have the resources to fight crime and do good traffic enforcement. I wish they did.

Driver education is horrible also. I think this is more of a nationwide problem but a bigger problem down here since we now have people who don't know how to drive teaching people how to drive. My parents are both pretty good drivers and did not learn how to drive down here they did a good job. But I also took the initiative to learn proper things like how to get out of an over-steer or under-steer something I am certain 95% of Miami drivers do not know how to do. My parents took the initiative to make me watch hours of driving DVDs (which gave an insurance discount) But they taught me a lot. Looking way ahead when driving, looking at intersections and cross walks very often, checking your mirrors at least once a minute if not more. People here just do not do those things. There is no education at all and this may be the biggest problem.

Common sense also comes into mind, and sometimes people here just do not have it. They have an attitude about them or something, I do not know. I admit I speed fairly often. But where do I speed? I speed on highways with no traffic in good weather. I never go fast in residential areas, I never weave in and out of traffic, and I don't drive fast in the rain. Going 80mph on the 826 westbound at 2am using the left lane to pass etc.. is not dangerous and police officers have agreed with me about that.

Speeding in a residential neighborhood, going 60mph on US-1, Weaving in and out of traffic on I-95 at 2pm is dangerous. It's frustrating how this continues to occur over and over again.

Hopefully they find the hit and run drivers and they all go to prison for long times.

I will say this though as a side note and hopefully advice people take. Never stop on the side of the highway, especially the left lane to fix your car unless there is a HUGE emergency lane. Always put your flashers on when stopped of course. But if there is not a huge emergency lane I would say at least 10 feet or more of space between your car and the travel lanes stay in the car with the seatbelt on and call for help. Call #FHP Call 311, Call a tow truck. Dade county has MDX for a reason. Their trucks have lights galore. Get an correct emergency-assistance vehicle to come with its flash lights and signs. You hear about this too often and this is also something not talked about enough. A kid from my college died last year when he got out of his car on a small highway after crashing into the side rail. He wanted to check the damage and a car ran him over. (the car did stop) Stay in the car until help arrives.

Last edited by FlyMIA; 03-19-2012 at 06:36 PM..

Old 03-19-2012, 06:57 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,327,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
pay attention to the road.
I think THIS is the most important part. So many drivers AND pedestrians are distracted these days. Nobody seems to pay attention to anything they're doing.

People need to wake up and be vigilant of their surroundings whether they're in a car, walking down the street, riding a bike, etc.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:22 AM

131 posts, read 323,657 times
I think the driving tests are another problem. It is just one big parking test. There is more to operating a car than parking!

Old 03-20-2012, 12:30 PM

309 posts, read 619,864 times
Well a rally is a nice idea that might make some people 'feel' like they are 'doing' something - but what would it actually accomplish? ----> Nothing.

All it would do is gather a crowd of people who already know that this is a problem. The people who would attend such a rally are NOT the ones who need to hear it, or change their driving habits. it would just be preaching to the choir.....and what would come out of it? It's just a crowd of people in agreement that "something must be done" - but what would it actually DO, other than give ppl a nice 'warm fuzzy'? In hard reality, it would be a useless endeavor.

100 % agree with Coconut1 - this isn't even necessarily just a "driving" issue - it's an overall attention (and total lack of common sense) problem.
So many people just do not pay attention - they sleepwalk through life - and this overall inattention is especially, and dangerously, highlighted while driving. Not to mention there are way too many people driving who just aren't smart - no cognitive ability; they can't/don't think ahead, and/or take into account how THEIR actions affect others on the road around them. They do whatever they want, selfishly, not even considering others, and can't be bothered to realize, or even think about, the fact that they are not the only person on the road. I know it sounds mean, and I'll admit in advance that I'm not being "nice" - but IMHO there are just too many stupid and/or careless people on the road who should never be behind the wheel in the first place.

we cannot "make" these people pay attention. no matter how loud we say it, or even slap them in the head - that will not 'cause' these lazy distracted selfish people to wake the eff up and be considerate of others.

The only thing responsible drivers can do is be UBER attentive - around here the concept of 'defensive driving' has taken on an exponentially new meaning for me - and do our part to drive extra-safely, look three times before doing anything, and following the suggestions above to not make ourselves a target..... i.e. get as far out of the way as possible, and stay in your car if stopped or broken down on the road, utilize emergency services, and generally pay extra attention to everything on the road, so at least we have a chance of staying out of the way of driving idiots.

Last edited by catt6; 03-20-2012 at 12:46 PM..

Old 03-20-2012, 02:54 PM

Location: Downtown Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill,Homestead for now
512 posts, read 1,225,593 times
I do believe a rally can accomplish something. If million people turn out to tell our representative that no more hit and run...they will change the law...something will be done. They work for us so why not put them to work.

1. If you hit someone and leave the scene = life in prison
2. If you have us citizenship= it will be revoked and you will be deported.
3.Everyone in FL need to retake driving test

Accidents do happen if you hit someone call 911 period.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:37 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,327,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoMiami View Post
If million people turn out
Then cows will magically grow wings and fly away.

I hate to break it to you, but you'll never get anywhere close to a million people to rally about hit and runs in Miami.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoMiami View Post
I do believe a rally can accomplish something. If million people turn out to tell our representative that no more hit and run...they will change the law...something will be done. They work for us so why not put them to work.

1. If you hit someone and leave the scene = life in prison
2. If you have us citizenship= it will be revoked and you will be deported.
3.Everyone in FL need to retake driving test

Accidents do happen if you hit someone call 911 period.
Number two is a sarcastic joke right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami