Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 10:14 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,978,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Sorry you were offended. I used to live in Miami. It is expensive to live there based on the salaries. And the traffic..I could go on....

I wasn't offended. I am not Hispanic nor do I live in Miami. But I have visited often enough to know it is not a cesspool.

A high cost of living, low salaires, traffic, etc. does not make a city a cesspool in my view. Perhaps not desirable for some....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 10:24 AM

2,962 posts, read 5,000,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
Actually there are cities like Gary In., Canton NJ. and Detroit Mi. that can be written off entirely as a cesspool. I know, just like you know, that Miami is not a total cesspool. Who cares if others think differently, don't take it personal. Like the old saying goes opinions are like ---holes everybody's got one.
That would be CAMDEN, NJ .....My Hometown.... Canton is a sparsely populated farming community in Salem county.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:43 PM

60 posts, read 96,094 times
Jasper 12 called it like it is (although very bluntly). I think what he meant was you'll soon realize that there is a much friendlier, caring, less aggressive environment with much better professional and personal opportunities out there in this vast country of ours and once you make the move you will realize that you wasted a lot of time dealing with all the "ills" of the Miami microcosm wherein you could've been enjoying a much less stressful life.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:53 PM

363 posts, read 929,973 times
Plenty of healthcare jobs in Montana. We welcome you with open arms...

Old 05-07-2012, 10:23 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,909,858 times
I disagree with the "less stressful life" bit. I moved from Miami to Boston and life here is way more stressful. The pace of life quicker and there isn't much to do besides work and go to college. A good weekend consists of going to a divey sports bar and maybe taking a Sunday walk if it's not arctic outside. In Miami you have open spaces, beaches, and the great outdoors.

Big city life (I mean NY, Boston, Chicago, DC) is only for young people who want to date and people who get paid bank by working in the city. Besides that there is no reason to deal with the city fumes, pollution, and fast pace.

I can't believe they are doing so many layoffs but I have heard that Jackson Memorial has a bad reputation anyways, its sort of a last resort or ER place.

I'm sorry to hear this. I hope things workout for you. Miami isn't a cesspool, yes people aren't exactly polite but that is because polite means so many different things in so many different cultures.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:30 AM

814 posts, read 2,044,107 times
Trade Act Program: TAA for Workers, Employment & Training Administration (ETA) - U.S. Department of Labor
check out this site for the trade adjustment act. It is a federal government program if you and 2 other laid off employees want to start a petition there are all sorts of extra benefits for laid off workers. especially those who have no chance of getting their job back. quite a few people from my company (laid off 500 plus employees ) have used it to get (paid) retrained in another field and get paid while training. you need to find 2 coworkers and start a petition! the worst they can do is deny you the extra benefits. you have nothing to lose and its helps with relocation expenses too plus job search expenses for a trip to the midwest to look for employment before you move.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:59 AM

798 posts, read 1,460,907 times
Go for it girl.. go go go!

Old 05-08-2012, 02:09 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,401,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I disagree with the "less stressful life" bit. I moved from Miami to Boston and life here is way more stressful. The pace of life quicker and there isn't much to do besides work and go to college. A good weekend consists of going to a divey sports bar and maybe taking a Sunday walk if it's not arctic outside. In Miami you have open spaces, beaches, and the great outdoors.

Big city life (I mean NY, Boston, Chicago, DC) is only for young people who want to date and people who get paid bank by working in the city. Besides that there is no reason to deal with the city fumes, pollution, and fast pace.

I can't believe they are doing so many layoffs but I have heard that Jackson Memorial has a bad reputation anyways, its sort of a last resort or ER place.

I'm sorry to hear this. I hope things workout for you. Miami isn't a cesspool, yes people aren't exactly polite but that is because polite means so many different things in so many different cultures.
Well said!

As another ex Miami resident who ended up in the Boston area, I agree with this. Miami is NOT a cesspool, even though I didn't like it at first (when I finally grew to like it we had to leave).

Aside from New York, few other cities in the US have the same international feel. I miss that. Most US cities are too provincial and boring. The traffic in Miami was never a big deal. At least it somewhat moves.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:31 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,941,918 times
Weren't we all very recently told that the health care industry is one of the one of the fields with highest demand???

Old 05-09-2012, 09:44 AM

60 posts, read 96,094 times
Wow, you and Pear Martini need to get away from the Boston area...my reference to a "less stressful life" made no overture towards weather-the weather sucks in the entire Northeast corridor! My inference was to the "day to day" problems associated with Miami-traffic, rudeness, daily thunderstorms from May until October, hurricane threats, high insurance costs, low paying jobs. Yes, in Miami you have beaches and the water, but I guarantee you that while you were there you enjoyed it on a limited basis-you did what everyone else does, go to Marco Island, Naples, Ft. Myers or the surrounding areas on the West Coast of FL for little weekend jaunts to do what??? avoid the ****ty crowds and attitudes provided by the Miami people. If you want open spaces you need to travel out West in the United States-the Western region of this country has vast open spaces loaded with natural beauty, without the Miami stresses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami