Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 06:33 PM

683 posts, read 853,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Every time I see pics of Cuba I only see black people. Maybe all the whites are here already. hehehe
Pretty much. The only black Cuban I met the whole time I've lived in Miami told me that Castro level the playing field regarding education and jobs there. The White Cubans didn't like that. Seeing what was going on with Black Americans in the US he told me that a lot of them didn't think it was a good idea to come here.

Last edited by deboinair; 03-25-2014 at 07:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 11:04 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,679,931 times
Black Cubans are more likely to move out of Miami and integrate with the general African American/Caribbean(PR and DR) population in the NE or elsewhere. They really have no place in Miami as Cuban interest in Southern Florida is reserved for white Cubans. There have been several studies of how black Cubans have a hard time finding a sense of belonging.

Old 12-25-2014, 08:04 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
On thing about Cubans they all are very opinionated! so whom ever you ask- you will get an array of answers. Cubans used to be CUBANS regardless of race, theirs used to be an econimic divde not racial- now?

Old 12-25-2014, 01:17 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,969,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdread View Post
There are tons of Cuban politicians in Miami, yet they never let their Black countrymen in that arena. The Black Cubans I've met in Miami live in traditional Black neighborhoods like Carol City and Liberty City. However I am now seeing more in Hialeah. Is there any spot in Miami where Black Cubans congregate? I know things were bad between the "races" back in Cuba...and with the US history of segregation it is continued here without a doubt. I've read about the "silent" Black Cuban community. What's the deal with the white, mixed and Black Cubans in Miami? Do they even socialize with each other or are completely separate? I know plenty of white Cubans and never have I seen them with a Black Cuban friend or even mention interaction with Black Cubans.
Why would black Cubans congregate? LOL.

Yes some "white "cubans" don't like to socialize with non-whites but plenty don't have a problem with that. Just like black Dominicans or Colombians, many Hispanics see black Cubans as one of their own.

Old 12-25-2014, 03:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,486 times
Black Cubans as well as those from the Caribbean in my experience tend to identify with whatever country they are from first not with their race, also they don't the chip on their shoulder as far as racism goes like many Black Americans do.
There was a race war in Cuba back in the 1920;s, "La Guerra de los Negros"
Blacks always get the s--t end of the stick all over the world even Africa, by the way Fidel's cops harass Blacks as much or more as some cops do here so la revolucion did not end racism there

Old 12-25-2014, 03:56 PM

92 posts, read 111,782 times
Dirty Havana Trilogy: A Novel in Stories Paperback – February 5, 2002

by Pedro Juan Gutierrez (Author), Natasha Wimmer (Translator)..excellent book,featuring the black cuban experience

Old 09-10-2015, 11:09 PM

Black Cubans submerge themselves with Anglo West Indians/African Americans or Puerto Ricans/ Dominicans.

They are often left out of the Cuban American lobby and are voiceless when it comes to US-Cuba relations.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:45 PM

249 posts, read 419,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdread View Post
There are tons of Cuban politicians in Miami, yet they never let their Black countrymen in that arena. The Black Cubans I've met in Miami live in traditional Black neighborhoods like Carol City and Liberty City. However I am now seeing more in Hialeah. Is there any spot in Miami where Black Cubans congregate? I know things were bad between the "races" back in Cuba...and with the US history of segregation it is continued here without a doubt. I've read about the "silent" Black Cuban community. What's the deal with the white, mixed and Black Cubans in Miami? Do they even socialize with each other or are completely separate? I know plenty of white Cubans and never have I seen them with a Black Cuban friend or even mention interaction with Black Cubans.
I like how the absence of Black Cuban politicians to you is somehow proof of oppression. Castro-era Cubans tend to view the Black Cubans as their own from what I have seen. Even the White or Whiteish ones.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:57 PM

249 posts, read 419,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Black Cubans submerge themselves with Anglo West Indians/African Americans or Puerto Ricans/ Dominicans.

They are often left out of the Cuban American lobby and are voiceless when it comes to US-Cuba relations.
Yeah, I actually know a couple that grew up in Cutler Ridge and seem to be a part of the African-American culture. I'd like to see what you base your second line off of though. I mean first of all there aren't that many, at least in Florida. Second, a groups choice to remain politically inactive is not evidence of repression. Third, why do you differentiate Black Cubans from the rest of the Castro-era Cubans? Are their needs so different? Because they (Castro Cubans) wanted to normalize relations with Cuba and look at what is happening. Did Black Cubans not want that?

I'm tired of people acting as if the absence of something is the evidence of something else. The first thing I've noticed was the absence of Mexicans in Miami = Hostile attitudes to Mexicans and now the absence of Black Cubans in politics (tiny group to begin with) is the evidence of White Cubans deliberately keeping them out. Stuff like this is what sours race relations because gullible people fall for it.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLoud View Post
Yeah, I actually know a couple that grew up in Cutler Ridge and seem to be a part of the African-American culture. I'd like to see what you base your second line off of though. I mean first of all there aren't that many, at least in Florida. Second, a groups choice to remain politically inactive is not evidence of repression. Third, why do you differentiate Black Cubans from the rest of the Castro-era Cubans? Are their needs so different? Because they (Castro Cubans) wanted to normalize relations with Cuba and look at what is happening. Did Black Cubans not want that?

I'm tired of people acting as if the absence of something is the evidence of something else. The first thing I've noticed was the absence of Mexicans in Miami = Hostile attitudes to Mexicans and now the absence of Black Cubans in politics (tiny group to begin with) is the evidence of White Cubans deliberately keeping them out. Stuff like this is what sours race relations because gullible people fall for it.

Where did I imply that they were repressed? They just don't share the social characteristics as white Cubans. The reasons are left for debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami