Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 9,657 times

Advertisements

Diversity is a great thing and I believe it benefits society overall. I enjoy living in Miami and it is beautiful throughout the different communities in Miami-Dade county. The Latino groups are thriving here and are clearly dominant. I have traveled throughout South America as well and I enjoyed experiencing the different cultures and learning about them. Living here and trying to experience a fair opportunity in the labor market is what concerns me. In most of the government bodies here in Miami and the Miami-Dade county is managed by the Latino community members and it has been obvious to me that if you are a well educated white individual that meets the qualifications that your name is being passed up and not being fairly considered for government positions. When I say well educated, I am talking about having at least a bachelor degree from an accredited college or university. There is no doubt that this is happening in the Miami area and it is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 09:03 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
Well...I don't know about that...I do know where I worked staff meetings were held in Spanish...they started in English...then went to Spanish...I never felt discriminated against...but I often wondered if I missed anything...

When we don't get hired for a job...we want to blame someone. Or some reason. It is sometimes just the way it is...

Old 08-02-2012, 09:28 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,425,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbelievable2012 View Post
Diversity is a great thing and I believe it benefits society overall. I enjoy living in Miami and it is beautiful throughout the different communities in Miami-Dade county. The Latino groups are thriving here and are clearly dominant. I have traveled throughout South America as well and I enjoyed experiencing the different cultures and learning about them. Living here and trying to experience a fair opportunity in the labor market is what concerns me. In most of the government bodies here in Miami and the Miami-Dade county is managed by the Latino community members and it has been obvious to me that if you are a well educated white individual that meets the qualifications that your name is being passed up and not being fairly considered for government positions. When I say well educated, I am talking about having at least a bachelor degree from an accredited college or university. There is no doubt that this is happening in the Miami area and it is wrong.

Nothing new. I have heard it from both sides, blacks and whites in Miami. It's Miami, and it's wrong. But that's Miami. It happens in other parts of the country where Latinos and Blacks probably deal with similar issues. That's wrong as well. I guess it happens all over. It's the victim that feels the pinch, as it is expected. The problem is who, where and when. Always someone getting done wrong. I wish you luck in Miami as I agree with you and you're not alone. Try learning some Spanish if you plan on staying. Even then, you may not fare well. Good Luck!

Old 08-02-2012, 09:38 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,012,266 times
I know what you mean in general sometimes but never thought it was a big problem in the work place but I guess it depends on what type of jobs and what level you are familiar with. Miami-Dade and some other cities in this county have huge problems and I wouldn't be surprised if you are right.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:56 AM

22,339 posts, read 29,445,455 times
Whites are definately the minority in Miami. You MUST speak Spanish to get jobs. I tried at least 12 Admin Assist jobs and was denied because I wasn't bilingual. Fully qualified but no speaky spani...

Old 08-04-2012, 10:31 AM

250 posts, read 696,740 times
I got passed up as many do. "Youve got the best resume and experience yet but youre not bilingual..." Their exact words. Im black so its not just a white issue.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:13 PM

309 posts, read 619,864 times
the market here requires communicating with both english and spanish speakers - to be competitive/successful in such a market, staff must be able to communicate with ALL customers & business partners.

i don't know if i would call that 'discrimination" - or -

... employers seeking staff who are best-qualified to interact with everyone in the local environment. If a company has many applicants, & all of them have all the necessary office skills, then they have a choice of applicants; some of whom have more/better communication skills than others - so of COURSE they are going to choose to hire the person with the better language skills. that's just being practical.

It therefore behooves job seekers to make themselves as marketable as possible - which means increasing their communicaiton skills so they can be competetive in a blilingual market. to me, this is just business, and just being pragmatic about making oneself the MOST qualified they can be, when looking for employment.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:43 PM

250 posts, read 696,740 times
Their answer was because the labor staff doesnt speak english. First thing that came to mind was why arent THEY bilingual.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:28 PM

309 posts, read 619,864 times
yep, i agree, that's a valid question, but it doesn't have much practical application.

And personally - to me it's still not necessarily 'discrimination' - because what's required of a laborer to do that job, is different from what's needed in the office, or at the executive or professional level. For the higher-paying positions, in which more interaction is required with staff and customers, stronger skill sets are necessary than what a laborer needs.

in Hawaii, if you have the extra skill of speaking Japanese, that puts you ahead of other job applicants - even though Japanese isn't an official language - because there are just so many Japanese people there, in both local business AND tourism, that it only makes sense to have employees that are able to interact with them. And it's the same here with Spanish.

So even if it's not a 'requirement' for the job, an applicant who has that extra skill will be considered more qualified and will be hired over someone who doesn't. Every time.

Last edited by catt6; 08-04-2012 at 02:40 PM..

Old 08-04-2012, 02:44 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,321,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catt6 View Post
And personally - to me it's still not necessarily 'discrimination' - because what's required of a laborer to do that job, is different from what's needed in the office, or at the executive or professional level. For the higher-paying positions, stronger skill sets are needed
Personally, to you, it isn't discrimination. But legally speaking it is discrimination. The Civil Rights Act was opposed by many because they thought that after Congress passed the bill it would later be changed by unelected officials to promote anti-white discrimination. Indeed, that is exactly what happened. Within a few years, the Supreme Court ruled in the "Duke Power" case that any hiring policy that produces discriminatory results is illegal, regardless of intent. So, such a policy in Miami is in fact illegal. But don't worry, this law is never enforced when whites are discriminated against. Miami can continue to be Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami