Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 07:03 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times

Advertisements

Seems the new line opens this Saturday. Long time coming indeed link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 09:52 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,323,192 times
I saw that- GREAT news.

Now if only it can get to Miami Beach...

Old 07-27-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
I saw that- GREAT news.

Now if only it can get to Miami Beach...
Coconut for mayor of miami beach?! That is EXACTLY what we need. Something to get you to south beach and then something to get you around south beach. Miami needs to make that happen.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:45 AM

Just remember- vote for me!

*Cue the John Philips Sousa*

LOL!

Old 07-27-2012, 11:47 AM

650 posts, read 1,630,071 times
Can Miami and Miami Beach ever become one city. That would be awesome!!!

Old 07-27-2012, 11:57 AM

cane even if they aren't one city, they can at the VERY least start reading from the same darn play book?! Not like we aren't all in this together.

Coconut: You have my vote!

Old 07-27-2012, 01:37 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
This is great news! So glad they finally did this. Now can we get the Metrorail connected to South Beach?

Old 07-27-2012, 01:52 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
This is great news! So glad they finally did this. Now can we get the Metrorail connected to South Beach?
As others here have said that would change this city IMO. For the better. But we all know how Miami Beach can get about development and mass transit. Man Miami Beach could really but something, more than it is now if they would just allow development in South Beach. By development I don't mean tearing down ocean drive or something. But get a project in there like citicenter, make 5th and Washington the new times square, allow developers to tear down some of the older non-historic run down buildings and build new stuff. Get mass transit in there and get rid of a height limit unless it's for historical areas.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:30 PM

FlyMIA you know a lot of people say mass transit is ugly. They need to approach mass transit from a functional yet beautiful perspective.

Check this out, this is in Chicago IIT Portal | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I am not saying they should build something exactly like that but they should try to build something that will get people around south beach, to and from the main land and that adds beauty to the area. It can be done, hell if man can build a pyramid out of individual stones heavier than most buildings are today, we can sort out a problem like this. We just need the will!

Old 07-27-2012, 07:01 PM

I've said it before and still believe in it- the Metromover should be extended out to Miami Beach (as opposed to Metrorail, even though I said let's get it to MB)

It has an easy connection from the Bicentennial Park station right out where it can run parallel with the MacArthur. Have one stop at Watson Island then continue into MB. Run it along 5th and then take a left on Washington. Run it up Washington. Take a right on 17th street and then a left on Collins. Run up Collins and take a left on west 41st which then turns in to the JTC. Run it across the JTC and have it connect in at Midtown to the new FEC train.

While in Miami Beach run it at grade so it looks more like a street car, thus cutting down on the aesthetic problems.

On Washington you would simply take out the metered parking on both sides of the street to make room for the Metromover lane. To address the new parking problem they could take out the median and turn it into parking spots.

On Collins a lane of traffic would have to be cut out in both directions which would probably be unpopular (if the state would even allow it because I think it's a state road) but all this would undoubtedly help Miami Beach in not only getting their residents around but tourist as well which would be a big money maker for Metromover, provided they begin charging for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami