Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 04:51 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
I think the OP doesn't dig Miami
Its not for everyone, but the same is true for most everything in life, besides things like water, air and clothing. Almost every sane person likes those. lol

Old 09-01-2012, 12:06 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,756,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
And your statement about no culture and Miami just being a party town shows you know absolutely nothing about this city anyway so why do you care?
To be honest, there is some truth to the OP's statement comparing NYC and Miami. It is a fact that Miami is a "tourist party town". And though I wouldn't say there is "no culture" here, there's certainly very little cultural life. If you take away South Beach, what do you have left here??? When tourists come to "Miami", they're here to visit South Beach. They don't come here to visit the mainland unless they've got family here.

I would say that the (high?) cost of living in Miami is not worth it for the simple fact that there isn't much to do here in terms of cultural life. Visit NYC, and there's plenty to see and do in the daytime and on a night out. But here? What's there to do here other than going to the beach or going to a club/bar?

Another thing (which has been mentioned in other threads) is that the South Beach of today is hardly anything like the South Beach of the 90s. The whole "South Beach scene" is very "urban" nowadays.

Also, ever notice how you don't really see major corporations opening up regional offices here? Instead, a number of big companies have chosen to open regional offices in Broward. I once heard a Miami native describe this city as a "world class city". If Miami's as much of a "world class city" as some of the locals like to think it is, then why don't we see major companies clamoring to establish their presence here?

Old 09-01-2012, 01:50 PM

824 posts, read 1,177,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
To be honest, there is some truth to the OP's statement comparing NYC and Miami. It is a fact that Miami is a "tourist party town". And though I wouldn't say there is "no culture" here, there's certainly very little cultural life. If you take away South Beach, what do you have left here??? When tourists come to "Miami", they're here to visit South Beach. They don't come here to visit the mainland unless they've got family here.

I would say that the (high?) cost of living in Miami is not worth it for the simple fact that there isn't much to do here in terms of cultural life. Visit NYC, and there's plenty to see and do in the daytime and on a night out. But here? What's there to do here other than going to the beach or going to a club/bar?

Another thing (which has been mentioned in other threads) is that the South Beach of today is hardly anything like the South Beach of the 90s. The whole "South Beach scene" is very "urban" nowadays.

Also, ever notice how you don't really see major corporations opening up regional offices here? Instead, a number of big companies have chosen to open regional offices in Broward. I once heard a Miami native describe this city as a "world class city". If Miami's as much of a "world class city" as some of the locals like to think it is, then why don't we see major companies clamoring to establish their presence here?
But things will change very soon.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:52 PM

600 posts, read 754,357 times
Quote:

No cultural life on the mainland?
Miami Art Museum
Miami Children's Museum
Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
Frost Art Museum
Historical Museum of Southern Florida
Freedom Tower
Haitian Heritage Museum
Gold Coast Railroad Museum
Museo Historico Cubano
Lowe Art Museum
Museum of Contemporary Art
Merrick House
Coral Gables Museum
The Ancient Spanish Monastery
Adrienne Arsht Center
Gusman Center for the Performing Arts
Gables Stage
Roxy Performing Arts Center
The Playground Theatre
James L. Knight Center
Main Street Playhouse
New Theatre
Actors Playhouse
The Lyric Theatre
Lehman Theatre
Jerry Herman Ring Theatre
La Rosa Flamenco Theatre
Arts Ballet Theatre of Florida
to name a few......

There are also arts festivals in Wynwood & the Design District, Viernes Culturales, etc.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:

No corporate headquarters in Miami? These large companies do:
Akerman Senterfitt, Alienware, Arquitectonica, Arrow Air, Bacardi, Benihana, Brightstar Corporation, Burger King, Celebrity Cruises, Carnival Corporation, Carnival Cruise Lines, CompUSA, Crispin Porter + Bogusky, Duany Plater-Zyberk & Company, Espírito Santo Financial Group, Fizber.com, Greenberg Traurig, Holland & Knight, Inktel Direct, Interval International, Lennar, Navarro Discount Pharmacies, Norwegian Cruise Lines, Oceania Cruises, Perry Ellis International, RCTV International, Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines, Ryder Systems, Seabourn Cruise Line, Sedano's, Telefónica USA, TeleFutura, Telemundo, Univision, U.S. Century Bank, Vector Group and World Fuel Services

No regional headquarters? More than 1,400 multinational corporations do including:
AIG, American Airlines, Cisco, Disney, Exxon, FedEx, Kraft Foods, LEO Pharma Americas, Microsoft, Yahoo, Oracle, SBC Communications, Sony, Symantec, Visa International, and Wal-Mart

Old 09-01-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankhead View Post
No cultural life on the mainland?
Miami Art Museum
Miami Children's Museum
Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
Frost Art Museum
Historical Museum of Southern Florida
Freedom Tower
Haitian Heritage Museum
Gold Coast Railroad Museum
Museo Historico Cubano
Lowe Art Museum
Museum of Contemporary Art
Merrick House
Coral Gables Museum
The Ancient Spanish Monastery
Adrienne Arsht Center
Gusman Center for the Performing Arts
Gables Stage
Roxy Performing Arts Center
The Playground Theatre
James L. Knight Center
Main Street Playhouse
New Theatre
Actors Playhouse
The Lyric Theatre
Lehman Theatre
Jerry Herman Ring Theatre
La Rosa Flamenco Theatre
Arts Ballet Theatre of Florida
to name a few......

There are also arts festivals in Wynwood & the Design District, Viernes Culturales, etc.
I agree tankhead, Miami isn't THAT bad off. I used to live in corny fort lauderdale and miami is LIGHT years ahead of that place in terms of cultural events. I just think, coming from a NYC, Miami can seem a bit behind. But considering where it is coming from, Miami has made strides. Can miami do even better? Well, yeah! But at least its started upon the journey.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankhead View Post
No corporate headquarters in Miami? These large companies do:
Akerman Senterfitt, Alienware, Arquitectonica, Arrow Air, Bacardi, Benihana, Brightstar Corporation, Burger King, Celebrity Cruises, Carnival Corporation, Carnival Cruise Lines, CompUSA, Crispin Porter + Bogusky, Duany Plater-Zyberk & Company, Espírito Santo Financial Group, Fizber.com, Greenberg Traurig, Holland & Knight, Inktel Direct, Interval International, Lennar, Navarro Discount Pharmacies, Norwegian Cruise Lines, Oceania Cruises, Perry Ellis International, RCTV International, Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines, Ryder Systems, Seabourn Cruise Line, Sedano's, Telefónica USA, TeleFutura, Telemundo, Univision, U.S. Century Bank, Vector Group and World Fuel Services

No regional headquarters? More than 1,400 multinational corporations do including:
AIG, American Airlines, Cisco, Disney, Exxon, FedEx, Kraft Foods, LEO Pharma Americas, Microsoft, Yahoo, Oracle, SBC Communications, Sony, Symantec, Visa International, and Wal-Mart
I think you left out Apple, no? Apple's latin American region headquarters is here and I think so is Starbucks (don't quote me on that)

Old 09-01-2012, 04:45 PM

3 posts, read 5,709 times
Most coastal cities are expensive. If you don't like it, move to Kansas City.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I think you left out Apple, no? Apple's latin American region headquarters is here and I think so is Starbucks (don't quote me on that)
I didn't list every corporation that has its Latin American headquarters here because that would be over 1,400 of them, but, yes, you are correct. Apple is among them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami