Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 08:21 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,165,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
"The diversity in foods and entertainment can be paralleled to none."

yeah. latin, latin and more latin. thats not diversity.
wheres the decent chinese food? wheres the vietnamese pho? wheres the decent indian curries? wheres the sushi restaurants with the little boats carrying the dishes? the best place ive been to so far the soy sauce didnt even taste or smell right even though it was staffed by asian people. im really confused with how that can happen.

entertainment? i was very lucky to have the warped tour come down here in 2006 but most mainstream/alternative music artists avoid this place because its heavily dominated by rap and/or hiphop. when i went to the warped tour it mustve been the largest gathering of whites ive ever seen in miami. it made me sad because it reminded me of what im missing by living here.
CiXel what are you going to do when you can finally afford to go back to LA? How are you ever going to fit back in over there? How long is it going to take you to "assimilate" back into the lifestyle?

They may have the vietnamese pho and the indian curry and the chinese but do they have the cuban, the peruvian, the spanish (Spain type), and the others that we can have here? It's all a matter of what you get used to!!!

And on another subject, I think another one of your posts about work ethics and socializing... I lived in NY most of my life, raised my son by myself practically. I used to live to work. Here, I work to live. Yeah, my sanity, my level of stress, my home, pets, family, etc. ARE more important. I guess I too have settled into this family oriented, work apathy that hispanics are so fond of.

By the way, and I'm almost embarrassed to ask this. What the hell is a warped tour???? Yes, I could be your mother.

Old 02-03-2007, 07:32 PM

612 posts, read 2,779,505 times
Quote:

wheres the decent chinese food? wheres the vietnamese pho? wheres the decent indian curries? wheres the sushi restaurants with the little boats carrying the dishes? the best place ive been to so far the soy sauce didnt even taste or smell right even though it was staffed by asian people. im really confused with how that can happen.

entertainment? i was very lucky to have the warped tour come down here in 2006 but most mainstream/alternative music artists avoid this place because its heavily dominated by rap and/or hiphop. when i went to the warped tour it mustve been the largest gathering of whites ive ever seen in miami. it made me sad because it reminded me of what im missing by living here.
LOL! That reminds me of back in '99 or so when Metallica, Creed and Kid Rock had a concert at the Orange Bowl. My husband got tickets for us and after a couple of hours there I realized he was about the only non-white I saw (obviously, I'm white). We had a great laugh about the turn around from the norm.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:19 PM

563 posts, read 2,774,647 times
Quote:

Have you tried:
Bahamian Food
Haitian Food
Jamaican Food
Trinidadian Food
Nigerian Food

...all of that can be found in South Florida, EASILY.

Maybe because you aren't FROM south Florida, you don't know where to look. I grew up in Miami and lived there for 24 years before I moved to Atlanta...there was ALWAYS something to do entertainment wise. I found out about events from people I went to college with, from periodicals like the New Times, the Caribbean local newspapers, and the like. And no, these weren't club events--some were poetry slams, theater performances, lectures, etc.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:59 AM

929 posts, read 1,159,232 times
alot of latin and caribbean food has alot in common. asian food differs quite a bit more.
i figured miami was alot like LA in the fact i didnt have to participate in an alternative culture if i didnt want to. in LA just because theres mexicans you dont have to speak spanish or know anything about them. same applies with the various asian cultures.
we have all the foods in LA you can find here because LA has so many more people. and yes peruvian food is very yummy.
warped tour = skater/punk show (nofx, bad religion, pennywise, etc to name a few headliners)
i dont like most latin music ESPECIALLY reggeton. ughhh same frickin beat EVERY song.

i was down in south beach at a friend who moved there recently. there were superbowl parties going on
man that place was ghetto as hell. i thought we were going to get jumped. we're walking down 8th street and its nothing but tons of black thug looking guys lining both sides of the street and beer bottles everywhere.
i gotta come back when its not superbowl to check it out again.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:
alot of latin and caribbean food has alot in common. asian food differs quite a bit more.
i figured miami was alot like LA in the fact i didnt have to participate in an alternative culture if i didnt want to. in LA just because theres mexicans you dont have to speak spanish or know anything about them. same applies with the various asian cultures.
we have all the foods in LA you can find here because LA has so many more people. and yes peruvian food is very yummy.
warped tour = skater/punk show (nofx, bad religion, pennywise, etc to name a few headliners)
i dont like most latin music ESPECIALLY reggeton. ughhh same frickin beat EVERY song.

i was down in south beach at a friend who moved there recently. there were superbowl parties going on
man that place was ghetto as hell. i thought we were going to get jumped. we're walking down 8th street and its nothing but tons of black thug looking guys lining both sides of the street and beer bottles everywhere.
i gotta come back when its not superbowl to check it out again.
Well I'm with you on the regetton or however it's spelled. Can't stand it!
I don't think that area was South Beach. Maybe Little Havana, going towards Brickell. 8th street is not anywhere near South Beach.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:01 PM

929 posts, read 1,159,232 times
vpcats,

"I guess I too have settled into this family oriented, work apathy that hispanics are so fond of."

i thank the lord turkey point nuclear power plant operations are not staffed by people born and raised here.

btw we walked straight to the beach from 8th and west. thats where we were

Old 02-05-2007, 04:46 AM

Quote:
vpcats,

"I guess I too have settled into this family oriented, work apathy that hispanics are so fond of."

i thank the lord turkey point nuclear power plant operations are not staffed by people born and raised here.

btw we walked straight to the beach from 8th and west. thats where we were
Hey, there are lots of people born and raised here who are not anglo. But see, for some reason it's called Turkey point.

I can't think of walking to South Beach from 8th St. I'll have to figure out where you were, after another cup of coffee (american. I don't drink cuban coffee )

Old 02-05-2007, 08:00 AM

Hi CiXel-
Are you sure you weren't in Bayside?
SW 8th St. ends at Brickell. You keep going and you get into Brickell Key and the loop just brings you back around. You cannot have gone into SoBe from 8th Street. Sorry.

I have another question for you. Have you ever travelled outside of the United States? I think that people who get to see other parts of the world, for however short a period, and under most any circumstances, start to see life and what we have here in a totally different light. We might still complain about a lot of things but that's just our selfishness and because we are used to having things our way, on demand.

I don't think most hispanics are rude. Get to know them, their countries, their backgrounds and culture, and you might find that they are mostly humble people (except Cubans - hahaha.) On the other hand, I find a lot of rudeness among our own internal, homegrown folks.

Old 02-05-2007, 02:38 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,140,723 times
I agree, most Hispanics are not rude.

As a matter of fact, the Hispanics in Miami are rude, but that is more because of the environment. Many latin people in other countries can't stand Miami or the people here because they see how it is when they visit. Many prefer Europe, cities up north or other Latin countries to visit or move. Miami is mainly for the Hispanics who have few English skills and need to work in a job other than the service industry due to higher skills and experience.

I agree that the Cubans do not fit the mold of most Hispanics. All are different, some are great and down to earth, but it does seem like a disproportionate number are not "humble" as another poster put it.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:18 PM

106 posts, read 380,710 times
Default you want us to say something positive about miami

Okay here it is. Beautiful beaches and some of the bluest and clearest waters that you can find in the lower 48 and thats it. I was born in Flint Michigan and have also lived in Maryland, Long Island NY, Chicago, Hawaii for seven years and recently relocated to Miami Fl which was probably a mistake.
MIAMI IS THE WORST.

Let me tell you about the problems in Miami.

1. Lack of driver education.
There are too many clueless immigrants behind the wheel of cars in Miami. I though Hawaii was probably the worst place to drive until I came here.
Most people dont even have the common sense to speed up on the accelaration ramps in order to enter the expressway and the only part of the car they seem to know how to operate is the brakes. Ive never seen so many people braking on the expressway for no reason. Merging is a big challenge for Miami drivers. Im not saying that Ive never seen this in L.A. or the other states I have lived in but its an epidemic here in MIA.
Dirty Restaurants.

Call me spoiled but in L.A. when you enter a restaurant there is a letter grade A B or C posted on the door so that you know the conditions of the restaurant and have an idea about the cleanliness. In Miami that doesnt seem to exist. Here people place your spoons and forks on dirty counters full of bacteria and collect money and prepare food all at the same time. In L.A. thats a no no. That alone could get a restaurant shut down.

3.Prejudiced Hispanics.
While I love Latin culture and music and I also speak spanish fluently being a black American not of Latin descent has prooved very interesting. While I have built many great relationships with members of the Latino community, I have found that WHITE HISPANICS are 10 times more prejudice than White Americans. What has happened is that blacks constantly hold white americans accountable for whatever comment about African American no matter how innocent it may be while many Miami hispanics pass their time engaging in useless chatter during morning talk radio programs discussing stupid topics like IS IT POSSIBLE TO WORK WITH AN AFRICAN AMERICAN. The myth is that black americans are conflictivo. The saddest part about it is that if a White American were to engage in this converstation they would be pulled of air, but because their whiteness is shielded by the ethnic category of HISPANIC which supposedly makes them members of a MINORITY group and protected class, they go un noticed.
Which leads to my next point.

LACK OF AMERICAN INFLUENCE.

Sometimes I long to see a regular white American face. The problem in Miami is that the true Americans have left and seem to have little influence in the politics of Miami. The result is third world Miami. Trust me. I felt more at home on my vacation in San Jose Costa Rica than I do in Miami Dade County.

Forget what you heard. THIS AINT PARADISE.
I READ THAT MIAMI DADE COUNTY HAD A 45 PERCENT GRADUATION RATE OR SOMETHING LIKE THIS. I CANT QUOTE IT EXACTLY. NOW I UNDERSTAND THE RUDENESS AND NOTHING TO LOSS ATTITUDE THAT EXIST HERE IN MIAMI. SURE PEOPLE IN THE BIG CITIES ARE RUDE, BUT THEY ARE ALSO CULTURED. IN NEW YORK OR L.A. YOU GET CUT OFF BECAUSE THE PERSON TRYING TO GET AROUND YOU REALLY HAS SOMEWHERE TO GO, IN MIAMI YOU GET CUT OFF BY SOME LOW CLASS REJECT WHO JUST WANTS TO MAKE A POINT. I FINALLY FIGURED OUT WHY DRIVERS IN MIAMI CUT YOU OFF AND GO SLOWER AND NOT EVEN GO AROUND THE CARE THEY WERE BEHIND.
THE TRUTH IS IF YOU TAKE AWAY OVER RATED SOUTH BEACH, THE HOTELS AND KEY BISCAYNE THIS PLACE IS NOTHING MORE THAN A GHETTO. A COMPLETE DUMP. SAD FOR A CITY WITH SUCH A BEAUTIFUL LOCATION AND SO MUCH POTENTIAL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami