Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2012, 09:15 AM

10 posts, read 13,177 times

Advertisements

To make a long story short, I originally grew up in Cutler Ridge(now Cutler Bay), spent the last 8 years in the military. Got out to do school and am now divorced and having trouble. Im currently studying engineering in Atlanta. I wanted to do it, but it seems like I need to be more honest with myself about what I can realistically accomplish. So....

I'm thinking about relocating to Miami to maybe do school. I have never been too knowledgeable of innercity Miami, but I would like to know what you guys would recommend in my position given the following...

1. I get a housing allowance from the military based on the "school" zip. for downtown Miami it is 1800.
2. Tuition is paid for at the higest instate rate(public). But i would be a georgia resident so I would be looking at schools that had the Yellow ribbon program(allowing me to pay the instate rate).
3. Im pretty much a second year student as it goes, ive got the basic classes done Eng 101 , Econ, etc.
4. If Engineering turn out to not be for me I think Economics/Computer Science, or some trade would be more inline with my personality.
5. I prefer not to drive, I could do a bike, or a bicycle. But don't think I'll be able to do a car without running a monthly deficit.

So please recommend a School,neighborhood,area to set up my life. Just need some focus thanks. I'm 28, white, male.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 11:59 AM

28 posts, read 41,038 times
1800 can get you a lot in these parts, though I don't think you will be able to manage without a car. Public transpiration is bad, and with a school schedule I don't think you will want to bus it.

I also used my Post 911 GI Bill. It was a life saver, but I also had a job. Will you be working?

Old 11-21-2012, 12:10 PM

10 posts, read 13,177 times
i would prefer to do school full time. There isn't a decent school near the metrorail? I planned on sharing a place. What did you end up doing for school?

Old 11-21-2012, 08:07 PM

529 posts, read 1,145,806 times
Do a lot of schools have that yellow ribbon program? Don't go to a school you don't like locally if it's your only option. Some state colleges have programs that are fully or almost all online. Or you could do them for even local colleges like FIU since you don't wanna drive...

In general, I think online classes are more convenient. But everyone is different and some people just feel like they learn better in a live environment or want the complete college experience.

Or you could do MDC for your AA/general classes and then transfer to a BA. At least you'd have a paper to show for it and it's basically the same thing in the end. MDC has a campus downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami