Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 08:24 AM

84 posts, read 171,918 times

Advertisements

I recently read the following response on the:

moving with familyfrom Cleveland to Miami...please advise

thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Just curious WHY are you considering moving to Miami, pray tell?

As other have mentioned, you are going to feel a bit out of place. You don't know the language, and the language IS Spanish. Maybe not within your immediate neighbors and nieghborhood, but I don't care WHERE you move in Miami, if you don't stay in a bubble, you're going to feel like an alien, and I don't mean an illegal one at that!

A physician? You are definitely going to have a language barrier with many patients. Unless you move to Broward or Palm Beach, this is a given. What medical center are you considering taking a position at, that will make a difference to how much you may experience this barrier.

Someone mentioned private school. Expensive, but if you can afford it, and you're kids aren't able to get in a magnet program, just make sure you check them out in all ways possible. One local private school was teaching the kids math in Spanish. Parents who did not speak Spanish were at a loss, they couldn't help their children with homework I don't know if this practice is still being used, but I think that's crazy!

Think long and hard about considering Miami as a place to uproot your family and raise children. Look at the numerous posts of those who have moved here just in recent years and see what they have experienced and how they feel. Heed warnings of what people who have done the same as you are thinking of doing, they are living what you may come to experience.

I see so many people come on this forum and ask the same questions time and time again. Tthose of us who live in Miami and really KNOW Miami keep repeating the same thing, only I see over time, what we say just seems to get a little worse as time passes.

My personal and best advice I can give is this...Come down and bring the family for a week of "vacation" if you want to call it that. Look at the areas you are thinking of moving to. See what it's like on the major highways during rush hour. See what the schools are like before you think about putting your kids in them. Come during the summer so you can experience what it's like here during the summer, if you're lucky, you'll experience a hurricane, have to be ready to live through one of those unexpected events too. Interact with the "locals".

If you decide you still want to move here, get a Rosetta Stone program for Spanish and start immersing yourself to learn Spanish, you and the family. Take a defensive driving course, you're going to need it. Basically, DO YOUR HOMEWORK and do NOT make any fast decisions, or move without doing so. You'll be more miserable than you could ever imagine if you don't!

This comes from someone born and raised in Miami and have lived there all my life, raised 2 kids (who have thus moved from Miami after graduating college from another state) and just recently moved because, over the years, I grew to hate Miami and what it's become.
GOOD LUCK!!!
I've been surprised by the sheer number of regular posters that are more than happy to share their negative views or "you don't know what you're getting into" brow beating rants. From the post above:

"I grew to hate Miami and what it's become.
GOOD LUCK!!!
"

Wow, really? Given the fact that these folks are distressed over having to repeat themselves over and over again, I thought it would be nice to have a master thread detailing folks loves and hates of Miami. Then, whenever some poor ignorant poster poses the question, "Should I move to Miami", they can happily refer them to this thread...

To kick it off:

Pros:

1: Warm temperate weather
2: No State Taxes
3: Nice beaches
4: Plenty of recreational activities close by
5: Hip vibe

Cons:

1: Property taxes and other hidden goodies.
+ Property Insurance costs
2: Poor job prospects
3: Hurricanes
4: Humidity
5: No mountains, very flat.

Pro/Con:

1: Cultural melting pot
2: Strong skew towards Latin culture

Of course, many Pros/Cons are within a persons context/bias.

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 09:15 AM

149 posts, read 260,353 times
LOVE:
proximity to SOBE, Virginia Key, Jimbos, cruising, caribbean, world class fishing, venetian pool, you can recycle your cardboard for money here - big business, I like the bus/metro system - ease of getting around., cuban food, thai food, chinese buffets (Happy Buffet in Hialeah - great deal), Kyojin Restaurant - excellent - Akashi - DELICIOUS japanese restaurant (alex #2 roll), seashelling in the winter, close to water park

DISLIKE:
blind eye to littering, traffic on the highways, language barrier, trash left behind on beaches, humidity, drivers

Old 07-15-2011, 11:10 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,271,884 times
sometimes i wonder if things are getting better or if i'm just getting more aloof.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:43 AM

420 posts, read 824,175 times
This topic comes up literally like every week.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:00 PM

810 posts, read 1,580,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamamike View Post
Wow, really? Given the fact that these folks are distressed over having to repeat themselves over and over again,
many unemployed and underemployed post in these internet forums you see them posting at all times and with an average post count of 5 posts or above per day

Old 07-15-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hialeah_Rules View Post
many unemployed and underemployed post in these internet forums you see them posting at all times and with an average post count of 10 posts or above per day
nah i just post from my iphone when i get bored

Old 07-15-2011, 12:04 PM

810 posts, read 1,580,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
nah i just post from my iphone when i get bored
dude you aint fooling me, you post 24 hours a day, seven days a week, no way you're employed

Old 07-15-2011, 12:12 PM

nope, just an internet addict.

but you're right i am on here alot. they should make me a mod =)

Old 07-15-2011, 12:35 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,949,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
nope, just an internet addict.

but you're right i am on here alot. they should make me a mod =)
You'd ban everybody who had anything good to say about Miami.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
You'd ban everybody who had anything good to say about Miami.

hahahhahahahaha! no i wouldnt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami